Rare Entries Quiz II (Trains/Rail)

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Rare Entries Quiz II (Trains/Rail)

Post by Sam »

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/times_far ... #terminals has them down as just being London Terminals for ticketing purposes so I agree with joy54
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The question clearly refers to the group of stations known as "London Terminals" as per the link above. This includes Vauxhall so it is a correct answer. Whether they are actually terminals or not is irrelevant.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Also I would say to concur with Sam that with regard to CTK that again your source for determining whether or not stations are served by ONE TOC or not is stated in the question as the NRT and the NRT clearly shows SE services running through CTK (e.g. 0540 ex Sevenoaks).

So I would say that the following are incorrect:
[*]City Thameslink - because it is used by two TOCs as per the NRT
[*]Waterloo East - because it is not a London Terminal as per the NRT
[*]Vauxhall - because it is not a London Terminal as per the NRT

greatkingrat wrote:The question clearly refers to the group of stations known as "London Terminals" as per the link above. This includes Vauxhall so it is a correct answer. Whether they are actually terminals or not is irrelevant.
No it does not refer the the group of stations knows as "London Terminals" it asks us very specifically to name a "London Terminal".
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

"London Terminal" is shown in quotation marks and is capitalized, so it is clearly referring to a name of something and not a generic grouping, therefore the classification used by tickets is the correct interpretation (yes, I am biased, but I do believe it is the most logical conclusion to derive).
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I move that scrxisi be given points for his FGW platform question. An HST comprising eight coaches can get all the doors onto both the up and down platforms (1 and 2). Platform 3 can only take three coaches, but HSTs do not stop there, as there is no route to the Down Main from that platform in the Down direction, and you cannot get to the platform from the Up Main in the up direction.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

'London Terminal' is a widely understood term that includes VXH, OLD and WAE.

I'm fairly sure that the timetable was used to justify the 'one TOC' aspect of the question.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

al wrote:"London Terminal" is shown in quotation marks and is capitalized, so it is clearly referring to a name of something and not a generic grouping, therefore the classification used by tickets is the correct interpretation (yes, I am biased, but I do believe it is the most logical conclusion to derive).
It was worth a try :D - from what I could see it was the only controversial answer on the board for tractakid...

Also just out of interest for the one platform question, why wasn't Neil's answer of Reeves Corner correct?
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

This quiz was based on National Rail.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I should point out that I move that The Raven should not be penalised for Castle Cary, and not scrxisi.

Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

joy54 wrote:
al wrote:"London Terminal" is shown in quotation marks and is capitalized, so it is clearly referring to a name of something and not a generic grouping, therefore the classification used by tickets is the correct interpretation (yes, I am biased, but I do believe it is the most logical conclusion to derive).
It was worth a try :D - from what I could see it was the only controversial answer on the board for tractakid...

Also just out of interest for the one platform question, why wasn't Neil's answer of Reeves Corner correct?
Al is correct in his observation on this "London Terminal" question as this the idea I had in mind when composing the question. London Terminals as in those used for ticketing purposes, and hence the extra punctuation to emphasise this. The NRT should only be consulted when looking at the TOC aspect of the question. Therefore points awarded on this basis for VXH and WAE will stand.

The answer of Reeves Corner is incorrect as I said in the second sentance of the original post about the subject being National Rail and the constituient TOCs.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

tangy wrote:The answer of Reeves Corner is incorrect as I said in the second sentance of the original post about the subject being National Rail and the constituient TOCs.
Which I completely ignored ...

Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

tubeguru wrote:I should point out that I move that The Raven should not be penalised for Castle Cary, and not scrxisi.
CLC did cause me a bit of grief, namely whether or not a full HST could fit into the main platforms fully, of which (after a bit of digging) a picture of a destination window sticker confirmed (as CLC was not highlighted).

I knew platform 3 was short but also that HSTs would hardly ever serve it, as the only way from that platform is towards YVP which of course isn't the way HSTs on normal service run via, except on diversions. There is a direct crossover from platform 2 onto the Pen Mill line which most of these HST diversions use if calling at CLC.

In addition I refer you to my second bullet point refering to the scheduled weekday timetable as per the NRT and/or printed TOC timetables. Therefore my awarding of points was for platforms 1 & 2 only based on the above.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Actually, looking back over this, I don't know why I'm complaining, as The Raven said that an HST could NOT fit on the platforms. As it can, I appear to have got my argument the wrong way round.

Therefore, I move that I am a silly arse.

Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

The important thing is, I won a rare entries quiz! 1st time I have done so. woohoo! :)

I think the part explaining the scoring system should read sum, rather than product. Confused me when I checked the scores.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I think the penalty of 50 points for a wrong answer is too much. It basically means anyone with a wrong answer cannot possibly win.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver