Rare Entries Quiz II (Trains/Rail)

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Rare Entries Quiz II (Trains/Rail)

Post by tubeguru »

Yes, having looked over it, I agree. If you're going to have an absolute number of penalty points applied, then it will have to be considerably fewer than 50.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

Also, arent 10 of each person's point total redundant? I think if the score is to be based on addition, it should be the total of other people that stated the same answer you did. It seems silly to have 10 points simply for answering each question yourself.
*insert boasting about notable tube accomplishments here*
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

However, as it was Tangy's system, I shall leave it to him to address our concerns. If he wants to leave it as it is, I'm happy to implement it.

Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

It actually makes less difference than you would expect. The top 4 would be the same under either system.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The scoring system for this is based on the BBC quiz show Pointless, whereby the idea is to score as low as possible by thinking of answers you think no one else would think of.

So in the quiz you get 100 responses from the public and if the question is "name an English city" and 59 people say Bristol, which subsequently you pick as an answer that is what you score, 59 points. Less obvious answers, such as Wells, would of course score lower.

This is the basis I took for the scoring of these quizzes, which I also run, quite successfully on my Bus Forum where they are known as "Pointless Quizzes." The scoring, as explained, is the product of the number of people that give the same answer as you for each question.

For example, in this quiz four people responded with EMT for the Crewe TOC question, since four people said EMT then those four people recieved four points i.e. the same number of points as people who said that answer. Of course this score varies depending on how many submit answers for the particular quiz and how many say the same answers.... These quizzes are better the more entrants there are to each one.

The penalty of 50 points was applied simply as being half the penalty in the real life quiz for a wrong answer. This can be lowered to say 25, the penalty obviously needs to be higher than the total number of people that enter.

Hope this clears a few things up.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I just think it makes more sense that a minimum score, like Pointless, is 0 rather than 10. It is impossible to get a pointless answer, as your own answer to a question gives you a point.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

tractakid wrote:I just think it makes more sense that a minimum score, like Pointless, is 0 rather than 10. It is impossible to get a pointless answer, as your own answer to a question gives you a point.
The minimum score for any one question is 1 (as only one person gave that answer). The minimum score for the whole quiz is 10 (that is if you give unique 1 point answers to all 10 questions in the quiz).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I have just discovered (thanks to a thread on railforums) that Southeastern operate one daily service all the way to Bedford (From Ashford International). This means that City Thameslink should, after all, have been invalid.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

See the 13th post in this thread (page 1).

Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

That post says that FCC take over operation of all trains north of Blackfriars. This train I am talking about is operated by Southeastern all the way to Bedford, including of course City Thameslink.

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W42038/2013/04/19
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Take it up with Tangy. I really can't be bothered to argue about it.

Member of sweet FA
tractakid
The Twilight Zone

Post by tractakid »

I'm not fussed particularly whether the result changes. I just thought it was interesting, and want to ensure that it was not incorrectly marked next time.