2012 Formula One Side Competition

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
moley
Site Administrator

Re: 2012 Formula One Side Competition

Post by moley »

Maybe this has been said before (but I cannot be arsed to look).

Grosjean is not a rookie - he took part in 7 races in 2009.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romain_Gro ... ormula_One for proof
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yeah, if you look at the very first post in this thread, you will see that I said:
tubeguru wrote:5. Who will be top rookie? This year's rookies are Charles Pic, Jean-Eric Vergne and Romain Grosjean. You will notice that Grosjean is not technically a "rookie", but as there are only two completely new drivers this year I felt we needed a third. As Grosjean has the fewest starts of the remaining drivers (seven), he is more or less a rookie anyway.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Well there we go then!
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Er, good.

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

If a driver retires 10th (for example), does that count?
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote:If a driver retires 10th (for example), does that count?
What do you mean?

Member of sweet FA
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/18780239

Mark Webber signs extended contract at Red Bull - means we just have to await the Ferrari/Massa contract situation now.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Yes, I saw that earlier at work. So who will be Alonso's team-mate next year? Let's look at the candidates:

Webber - re-signed for Red Bull
Vettel - in contract with Red Bull to end of 2013, but widely-tipped to move to Ferrari in 2014.
Hamilton - unlikely, as Ferrari need a driver to keep Vettel's seat warm for him for one year, but he is out of contract at the end of this year.
Button - ditto, and in contract with McLaren (I believe).
Perez - a Ferrari favourite, but even he said that he feels he needs more experience before he moves there. But then if the 2014 line-up is Alonso/Vettel, where does that leave Perez?
Anyone else - who else is in the frame? How about er, Massa?

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

tubeguru wrote:
hopeful traveller wrote:If a driver retires 10th (for example), does that count?
What do you mean?
Say Petrov from Caterham is running last and only 10 cars remain in the race. He retires and is not classified - he won't receive a point but does he get the "new team" award here?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

hopeful traveller wrote:
tubeguru wrote:
What do you mean?
Say Petrov from Caterham is running last and only 10 cars remain in the race. He retires and is not classified - he won't receive a point but does he get the "new team" award here?
It is based on a driver's CLASSIFIED position. Whatever the official classified results, that's what I go on.

And incidentally, if Petrov was running last of ten cars and retired on the last lap he would be classified 10th, as he would have completed 90% of the number of laps as the winner. See article 45.2 of the FIA Sporting Regulations:

http://argent.fia.com/web/fia-public.ns ... 3-2012.pdf

Member of sweet FA
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Thanks for that.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

You know who I'd like to see take the second Ferrari for a year? Michael Schumacher.

He's out of contract with Mercedes at the end of this year, and if Mercedes are serious about winning something, they need to move on from him. Everyone thinks Paul di Resta is heading their way, and I think that he would be a good, if somewhat uninspiring choice for them. Schumacher has said that he wants to carry on in the sport, but if Mercedes don't want him, where could he go? I can't see him ending his career with one season in a Sauber or a Williams; that would be verging on ridiculous. One season in a Ferrari, on the other hand... that would be something special.

If Ferrari really do have Vettel signed up for 2014, they would have little to lose by taking on Schumacher for one year. It really would be time for him to retire at the end of it, whereas someone like Sergio Pérez could potentially drive well and make a case for staying on with the team, or at least gain experience which would prove useful anywhere else, something Ferrari wouldn't be too happy about. Sure, they could keep Massa, but why? Nobody at all would be excited about that happening. If Schumacher went there, on the other hand, there'd be an incredible buzz around the team, the media would be desperate to give them coverage, and they could probably get more money from sponsorship deals. It would also re-open the way to Schumacher taking on a non-racing role there after retirement.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

The German Grand Prix starts tomorrow.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well, we made it to the halfway point, so lets's take stock of where we are with a German GP roundup:

Who will win the Driver's Championship?

Alonso, probably.

Who will win the Constructor's Championship?

Red Bull or Ferrari probably.

Will Michael Schumacher win a GP?

No, probably.

What will Kimi Raikkonen's highest finishing position be?

Second place remains his best.

Who will be top rookie? This year's rookies are Charles Pic, Jean-Eric Vergne and Romain Grosjean.

Grosjean.

Which of the three "new" teams will finish highest in the Constructor's Championship? If none of these teams scores points, the most successful will be the team with the highest finishing position. The teams in question are the three newest teams in F1: Caterham, HRT and Marussia.

No one came close to Petrov's 13th place at the European GP.

Which driver will be the first to be replaced this season for any reason?

I should clarify at this point that this refers to being replaced for the RACE, and not for various practice sessions as has been the norm of late. With that in mind, no one has been replaced yet. But it can't be long.

What will be the year's biggest row (technical/personal/whatever - your choice)?

Well, Red Bull are in the wars again for "illegal" throttle mapping, so I suppose the biggest row of the year so far is Red Bull always bending the rules and then watching Christian Horner trying to explain it to Sky.

How many races will take place before Red Bull and/or Ferrari announce that they're dropping Mark Webber and/or Felipe Massa respectively for 2013?

Red Bull are opening contract talks with Mark Webber soon, so it looks like he may stay. Massa, despite his rejuvenated form of late, remains the favourite to be replaced, but no word on any announcement yet.

Driver's Championship: walkover or close battle? I will determine whether a "walkover" or "close battle" was achieved at the end of the season.

Still a close battle all the way now. Even if Alonso wins every remaining race.

Will all the teams complete the season (i.e. field two cars at all 20 GPs)?

Probably.

Who will be leading the Driver's Championship after the German GP (the halfway point of the season)?

Anyone who said Alonso wins this prediction. No one said it, so this one is a dead duck.

What will be the most exciting and boring races of the season?

I don't think this one was very exciting. The DRS zone was too long, so overtaking was easy if you were close enough. Middle-of-the-road at best for me.

Most exciting: China. Most boring: Monaco.

Your own prediction that is not covered by anything above. Take a shot at something that will or won't happen this year that isn't covered by the previous 13 questions and see if you strike it lucky!

Nothing doing.

Team mate head to heads:

These are based on who finishes higher of the two team mates in each race. A non-finish for both will be decided on qualifying position.

Hamilton 6, Button 4
Webber 5, Vettel 5 (Vettel evens it up despite his penalty)
Alonso 10, Massa 0
Rosberg 5, Schumacher 5
Raikkonen 8, Grosjean 2
Hulkenberg 6, di Resta 4
Kobayashi 6, Perez 4
Vergne 5, Ricciardo 5
Senna 6, Maldonaldo 4
Kovalainen 5, Petrov 5
Glock 8, Pic 2
de la Rosa 10, Kartikeyan 0

And that completes the first half of the season. Not many points have been scored if I'm honest, but we'll see how it all pans out in the second half.

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

tubeguru wrote:How many races will take place before Red Bull and/or Ferrari announce that they're dropping Mark Webber and/or Felipe Massa respectively for 2013?

Red Bull are opening contract talks with Mark Webber soon, so it looks like he may stay. Massa, despite his rejuvenated form of late, remains the favourite to be replaced, but no word on any announcement yet.
Mark Webber has agreed a new contract so will be staying! :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver