Tangy's Rail Brainbenders VIII

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
tangy
Site Administrator

Tangy's Rail Brainbenders VIII

Post by tangy »

Who is interested in more brainbenders? It has been a few months since my last brainbenders, but this has given me time to think up some really good questions to quiz you with. Want some?
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Tangy's Rail Brainbenders VIII

Post by tubeguru »

Yes indeed. Post them up.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Okay, after a bit of delay, here is the next batch of rail brainbenders for you to preside over.

1. How many stations in England, Scotland and Wales have OHLE or 3rd rail running through them but no electric trains call? **Electric trains may well pass through these stations non stop and for this question the Lymington branch does not count as it does have electric traction at weekends.**

2. During 2010 how many of the class 67 fleet hauled a fare paying passenger train? **Charters and the Royal Train are included.**

3. What colour/s appear on the flag waved by a lookout man to an oncoming train warning of trackworkers ahead?

4. Apart from countries that make up the United Kingdom, which other European country has no bit of its railway system electrified?

5. What modification was made to the Turbostars operated by Southern for them to be reclassified from the usual class 170 designation?

6. Signalling wise, on single lines what is the instruction implied by a lineside post displaying a white cross on a blue background?

7. What is the maximum permissible speed anywhere on the West Anglia lines?

8. How many diagrams (on Mon- Fri) are there for the FGW IC125 fleet?

9. Apart from the famous one at Newark, where else on the NR system is there another flat crossing of two separate railway routes?

0. Which station on the Irish Rail system exists purely for interchange purposes? **There being no entrance or exit from the platform/s to the street**

As usual you will have two weeks to submit your entries, therefore the deadline will be Saturday 27th August 2011 @ 20:00 hours precisely.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Could you clarify what you mean by "two separate railway routes" in question nine?

Thanks.

Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

tubeguru wrote:Could you clarify what you mean by "two separate railway routes" in question nine?

Thanks.
At the Newark flat crosssing you have the LCN-NOT route crossing the ECML route at/or near a 90 degree angle. These are two separate rail routes and do not share the same alignment. This differs from say the TPE trains from Ardwick crossing over virtaully the whole formation just outside MAN to gain the through platforms, as this is all on the same alignment.

Tangy.
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

tangy wrote: 1. How many stations in England, Scotland and Wales have OHLE or 3rd rail running through them but no electric trains call? **Electric trains may well pass through these stations non stop and for this question the Lymington branch does not count as it does have electric traction at weekends.**
I need a clarification on this question...

Is this refering to the permanant timetable. I can think of a station that doesn't ususally have electrics call but some weeks it does...
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

mullardo wrote:
tangy wrote: 1. How many stations in England, Scotland and Wales have OHLE or 3rd rail running through them but no electric trains call? **Electric trains may well pass through these stations non stop and for this question the Lymington branch does not count as it does have electric traction at weekends.**
I need a clarification on this question...

Is this refering to the permanant timetable. I can think of a station that doesn't ususally have electrics call but some weeks it does...
This question refers to the normal scheduled timetable, as printed in the NRT. This does not include temporary timetables where trains are altered (e.g. the current Chiltern route blockade).

Tangy.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Erm, owing to an extremely busy schedule and some dodgy shifts, I have completely forgotten to submit my answers for this. I've got them all saved on my laptop at home. Any chance I can submit late?

You should have reminded us ... :roll:

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Owing to the farce in Tangys Railbenders VI where this was stated:

From the next quiz the expiry date/time will be STRICTLY adhered to with late entries not being accepted at all. I do accept that we all have jobs to go to and cannot be at our computers all the time but I believe that two weeks is plenty to research and submit your answers.

I therefore think it would be another farce should tubeguru be allowed to enter late :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Well I think everyone has forgotton to enter as I have only had three entries for this railbenders! Either that or many who usually play have jetted off somewhere...

Talking of holidays, I was on my annual holiday in Lyme Regis, Dorset all last week (only came back Saturday evening) so was not near a computer to post up such a reminder.

Ho hum...

Tangy.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

That reply doesn't really answer whether you are going to break your own rules and allow late entries...

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

He is if he doesn't want me to become a more "hand on" moderator ... :twisted:

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I really don't want to know about you getting more hands on with Tangy. That's enough to give me nightmares :?

tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well, as he's only had three entries, I'm going to submit mine this afternoon and hopefully he'll be lenient as he's only had three entries ...

Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Here are the official answers for Tangy’s Rail Brainbenders VIII.

1. How many stations in England, Scotland and Wales have OHLE or 3rd rail running through them but no electric trains call?
Thirty (or 27- depending on your viewpoint upon the status of Norton Bridge, Barlaston and Wedgwood).

The others are (in no particular order): Acton Main Line, Needham Market, Earlestown, Newton-le-Willows, Fairfield, West Allerton, Mossley Hill, Edge Hill, Euxton Balshaw Lane, Leyland, Carnforth, Chester-le-Street, Manors, Cramlington, Pegswood, Widdrington, Acklington, Chathill, Newcraighall, Brunstane, Dumbreck, South Tottenham, Woodgrange Park, Thirsk, Hazel Grove, Woodsmoor and Davenport.

2. During 2010 how many of the class 67 fleet hauled a fare paying passenger train?
All 30 of them. This includes being hired/used by First ScotRail (Sleeper trains and the Fife Circle loco diagram), FGW (the Bristol area loco diagrams), Chiltern/W&S (as timetabled), East Coast (diversions of their class 91 sets via non electric lines around Leeds/Newark areas).

Of course the 67 fleet are regulars on railtours and additional “crowd buster” trains to big events such as rugby matches due to their ETH fitment and high speed 110mph running. The last member of the fleet not to haul a passenger train, 67001, finally did so on the 29th December 2010 when it hauled a W&S diagram.

3. What colour/s appear on the flag waved by a lookout man to an oncoming train warning of trackworkers ahead?
Blue and white (in a chequered pattern).

4. Apart from countries that make up the United Kingdom, which other European country has no bit of its railway system electrified?
Albania or Moldova. Either answer is acceptable.

Within the UK, Wales and Northern Ireland have no bit of their railway system electrified. All other European countries (that have a railway system) do have at least some electric powered trains, although many systems are in operation and not all are compatible with each other.

5. What modification was made to the Turbostars operated by Southern for them to be reclassified from the usual class 170 designation?
They were fitted with the Electrostar/Desiro type Dellner coupler (rather than the usual BSI coupler used on other Turbostars).

This is so that if a 171 unit fails, on lines which have third rail, it can be rescued far more quickly by using an electric 377 or vice versa. Though I don't know whether any rescue has actaully been done in this way.

6. Signalling wise, on single lines what is the instruction implied by a lineside post displaying a white cross on a blue background?
Cancel and disregard the AWS warning. The AWS warning only applies to trains travelling in the opposite direction.

This type of instruction can also be found on bi-directional lines (such as approaching major stations) where trains often run in both directions on the same track.

7. What is the maximum permissible speed anywhere on the West Anglia lines?
80mph. Even though the 317s and 379s that ply this route are built for 100mph operation they cannot, on the West Anglia, attain this speed.

8. How many diagrams (on Mon- Fri) are there for the FGW IC125 fleet?
48. This is divided into 29 eight coach sets and 19 seven coach sets.

The eight coach sets are those which contain a full buffet coach so are generally allocated to work the more long distance workings such as PNZ, PLY or SWA.

9. Apart from the famous one at Newark, where else on the NR system is there another flat crossing of two separate railway routes?
At Porthmadog where the recently opened West Highland Railway extension crosses the NR Cambrian Line on the flat.

This has created the first railway flat crossing of two different gauges to be found anywhere, the West Highland Railway being of narrow guage.

0. Which station on the Irish Rail system exists purely for interchange purposes?
Manulla Junction which exists purely for interchanging passengers to access the Ballina branch line.

For those who participated, your answers will follow.

Tangy.