Google-proof quiz the third

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
snudge27
All Zones

Google-proof quiz the third

Post by snudge27 »

Does anyone else fancy doing a round of this? It's just I'm struggling for ideas and I'd quite like to give one a go myself!
Root
All Zones

Re: Google-proof quiz the third

Post by Root »

I could, but I can't guarantee it'll be Googleproof :) I used Google quite a lot in finding answers to your quiz.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

I guess Google-proof tends to refer to the questions in a pub quiz setting more than anything else. Pretty much anything must be solvable through Google given enough time and effort. I would imagine questions like the ones I've set would be pretty hard to Google quickly, in a pub, without being noticed.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

True. I guess I can start working on a set of ten questions, and if anyone gets in before me then they're welcome to it.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Root wrote:True. I guess I can start working on a set of ten questions, and if anyone gets in before me then they're welcome to it.
Did you manage to get anywhere with this?
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I have seven questions. I'm trying to think of three more before I ask them, hold tight :)
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Finally, here is the third instalment of the "Google-proof" quiz.

I've made the questions easier since first putting this quiz up. See my post below.

What is the next number in this sequence?
20 21 02 05 03 08 01 12 12 05 14 07

In which video game would you find four characters who share their names with the people in this photograph?

What is four times six on the dark side of the moon?

Which band's career started with parts per million, went via room service and amateur radio, and ended with a library?

Which club had the following number of members in the following years?
1957 - 6
1973 - 9
1981 - 10
1986 - 12
1995 - 15
2004 - 25
2007 - 27

What links the actors Rowan Atkinson, Phil Silvers, Alan Alda and Arthur Lowe?

Antarctically speaking, who is the odd one out of Mary, Scott, George, Charlie, Edward and Mac?

Which UK radio station is represented by the number 1.311688 (the 311688 part is recurring)?

After being modified with a thesaurus, which of (the artist formerly/currently known as) Prince's song begins as follows?
You needn't be shapely
To stimulate me
I merely require your beefcake infant
From gloaming to cockrow

After going through Google Translate multiple times, which film quote from the AFI's top 100 ends up like this?
Well, here is a fact that rules other than me.
Last edited by Root on 22 Aug 2011, 16:41, edited 1 time in total.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

This quiz is meant to be closing at the end of today, but I've only had one partial submission of answers so far, so I'm not sure what to do. Do you want more time? Are the questions too hard?
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I've edited the questions to make them a little bit easier, because I only received two partial answers before the deadline. Have another look, and enter by the end of tomorrow, Tuesday the 23rd of August, by PM.

For the two of you that entered: you can enter again if you like, and your original answers will get bonus points if they were correct.

I'll post the answers and scores on Wednesday.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Alright, here are the answers.

What is the next number in this sequence?
20 21 02 05 03 08 01 12 12 05 14 07
Originally: 202 125 381 121 251

It's the string "tubechallenge", with each letter substituted by a number based on its place in the alphabet (A=1, B=2 etc). In the original version, I took out all the leading zeroes from the numbers lower than 10, and rearranged the numbers into groups of three to make it more difficult.

The correct answer in the original version was 475, which nobody got.
The correct answer in the easier version was 05, which Starkey7 got for one point.

In which video game would you find four characters who share their names with the people in this photograph?
Originally: What links the four people/characters in this photograph?

The photo didn't change, but I added the clue about it being a video game to make it easier. It didn't help.

The correct answer was Broken Sword, which nobody got.

What is four times six on the dark side of the moon?
Originally: What is four by six on the lunar hemisphere not lit by the sun?

This was pretty cryptic. The lunar hemisphere not lit by the sun is of course the dark side of the moon, which I stated explicitly when I made the questions easier. Of course, DSOTM is an album by Pink Floyd, on which tracks four and six are "Time" and "Money".

I would have accepted either of two answers as correct here: Time and Money, or All Evil (for those that are familiar with the maths joke), but nobody got either of them.

Which band's career started with parts per million, went via room service and amateur radio, and ended with a library?
Originally: What begins with parts per million, goes via room service and amateur radio, and ends with a library?

This was all about abbreviations: PPM, RS, AR, LIB. Or, Please Please Me, Rubber Soul, Amateur Radio, and Let It Be.

The correct answer was The Beatles, or The Beatles' albums, which nobody got.

Which club had the following number of members in the following years?
Originally: What does this list of statistics represent?
1957 - 6
1973 - 9
1981 - 10
1986 - 12
1995 - 15
2004 - 25
2007 - 27

This was perhaps the most straightforward question of the lot. By the way, Starkey, the two newest members are Romania and Bulgaria.

The correct answer was the number of member states of the EU, or its predecessor the ECC. Greatkingrat answered correctly before I made it easier, so he gets two points, while Starkey7 got it afterwards, so he gets one point.

What links the actors Rowan Atkinson, Phil Silvers, Alan Alda and Arthur Lowe?
Originally: What links Rowan Atkinson, Phil Silvers, Alan Alda, and Arthur Lowe?

This one should have been easy to answer with the help of Wikipedia.

The correct answer was that they have all played the leading roles in military-themed sitcoms: Blackadder in Blackadder Goes Forth, Sergeant Bilko in The Phil Silvers Show, Hawkeye Pierce in M*A*S*H, and Captain Mainwaring in Dad's Army. Greatkingrat got it right before the question was made slightly easier, so he gets two points. Starkey7 had a correct but trivial answer (that they're all male), and doesn't get any points.

Antarctically speaking, who is the odd one out of Mary, Scott, George, Charlie, Edward and Mac?
Originally: Who is the odd one out of Mary, Scott, George, Charlie, Edward and Mac?

The correct answer is Scott - it is in the name of a Antarctic base, while all the others are in names of Antarctic land areas. Starkey7 submitted two answers: first "Only Scott has a double letter in his name" and then "Scott - he never got there", neither of which had the right reason but both of which got the correct answer. If he had just written "Scott", I would have had to give him two points, so that's what I'll do. I'm being generous.

Which UK radio station is represented by the number 1.311688 (the 311688 part is recurring)?
Originally: Which UK radio station can you find at the time of 01:18:42?

This was tricky, I admit. 1.311688... is 909/693, which is often how BBC Radio 5Live's two AM frequencies are written. Originally the number was written as a time, the "1" part meaning one hour, and the decimal part meaning a fraction of an hour that equated to 18 minutes and 42 seconds, almost exactly.

The correct answer was 5Live, which nobody got.

After being modified with a thesaurus, which of (the artist formerly/currently known as) Prince's song begins as follows?
Originally: After being modified with a thesaurus, which hit song begins as follows?
You needn't be shapely
To stimulate me
I merely require your beefcake infant
From gloaming to cockrow

Here are the original lyrics: You don't have to be beautiful / To turn me on / I just need your body baby / From dusk 'til dawn.

The correct answer was Kiss by Prince and the Revolution, though I accepted Prince, TAFKA Prince, etc and so on. Starkey7 got it right for two points. Greatkingrat answered "You Don't Have to Be Rich - Tom Jones", which was a cover version but was actually still called Kiss. He answered before I made it easier, so I'll give him half of two points, i.e. one point.

After going through Google Translate multiple times, which film quote from the AFI's top 100 ends up like this?
Originally: After going through Google Translate many times, which famous film quote ends up like this?
"Well, here is a fact that rules other than me."
Originally: "Healthy, here is a fact that rules other than me."

After going through about ten different languages, the quote still started with "Well", which I thought was too easy, so I did it over and over until it finally changed to "Healthy". But then nobody got it so I changed it back.

The correct answer was "Well, here's another nice mess you've gotten me into!" from Sons of the Desert, a Laurel & Hardy film. Starkey7 got it right after I made it easier, for one point.

So by my reckoning, it's a tie, five points each for Greatkingrat and Starkey7. Thanks to you both for entering. The rest of you: what happened? Of course I can't force anyone to take part, but as six of you entered the first round, and five the second, I would have expected a similar number this time around. If my questions were crap, or too hard, you could have said so, particularly after I asked for feedback. Uefacup81, you specifically asked for this - and then prodded me when I was taking too long over it - and then you didn't take part either. Oh well...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Looking at the answers and the explanations, your questions were possibly a little too hard.

It's difficult to say if they're too hard simply by looking at the questions, as one might think to one's self, "I must be thick - this can't be that hard". Do you follow that logic?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

scrxisi wrote:Ollie - sorry. It's the kind of quiz I like to have a few hours aside to have a crack at, and none spare ever cropped up. I doubt i I'd have scored well if I had a go, they looked way too intellectual for my ickle brain ;)
Don't get me wrong - having seen the explanations, I like this type of question. I just couldn't find enough time to sit down and have a good go at it - I was on nights last week, so it wasn't ideal.

Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Hey, I wasn't being so precious about it as to expect explanations from everyone that didn't enter! :)

I'd like someone else to have a go at doing one of these. I did quite well in the one I entered.
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I didn't enter coz i'm clearly not intelligent enough nor have the patience :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Root wrote:Hey, I wasn't being so precious about it as to expect explanations from everyone that didn't enter! :)
Erm, I was referring to YOUR explanations of the answers ...

Member of sweet FA