Rare Entries Quiz III

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
snudge27
All Zones

Re: Rare Entries Quiz III

Post by snudge27 »

tubeguru wrote:
Root wrote:Hmm, now I'm wondering if I should dispute my score for question 3, though I promised I wouldn't... Well then, let's call this a "query" :) - part of France is in UTC+4. If Russia had been submitted as an answer, would that have been accepted? Part of the country falls inside that time zone during summer.

Anyway, I updated the table (same URL). Note that the product score has now become calculated with lg (base-10 logarithm) because it was getting too large to display. The table is still sorted by product rank.
I think the key here is the physical presence of the country in the time zone. Russia is physically in UTC+04.00. France is not - its dependency is.

Good point about Russia being in it only when they're in DST, but I think I would have accepted Russia.
That's the thing though, the Wikipedia article that you cite states that Reunion is a 'departement' of France and not a dependency. If it is a departement, then it is on exactly the same footing as any of the contiguous departements of France such as Pas-de-Calais or Val-de-Marne. An article entitled 'Departments of France' states 'The overseas departments each constitute a region and enjoy a status identical to metropolitan France. They are part of France and the European Union, though special EU rules apply to them.'

Effectively, Reunion is to France as Hawaii is to the United States.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Hmmm. I can see how Reunion is technically France. But Ollie's answer was "France". Reunion may be part of France, but people don't call it France. People think of France as the big country between Spain and the UK. They tend not to consider its dependencies/departments/whatever.

I'm thinking out loud here - I've had a long day at work and I can't be arsed to be charitable and change the scores ... someone stick up for me. :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The question wasn't "Name a country that most people think is in UTC+4"

Reunion is part of France, whether the general public are aware of that or not.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Neil: you're sixth, as I'm combining your first-round score with greatkingrat's subsequent scores. If either of you objects, we can think of an alternate scoring method.

And I can see both sides of this Reunion argument. But don't blame me for starting it - blame the random number generator! :)

Edit: I saw this on the Beeb today. Really interesting, and a good demonstration of the interactive possibilities of news stories, though there's nothing much about Reunion or UTC+4.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings