2011 Formula One Predictions

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: 2011 Formula One Predictions

Post by tubeguru »

Yeah, we have no link to it.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

There is a link in the Japan results post - I always make sure to include it in the thread and my signature. As for the latter, I realised it was missing and I was just updating it as gkr made his post. It's there now.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

The entry form is now closed. I realised I forgot to share the popularity contest pick with you last weekend, so this time I'm letting you see the whole table that is used to calculate it (automatically). It should be self-explanatory, particularly for those who remember it from motorsport.com last year. The one flaw at the moment is that if two drivers are tied on points, it prefers the one higher up the list (which is sorted by car number, i.e. last year's WDC standings). Otherwise I'm very happy with it.

I'm just trying out all these different things to see how interesting they are, and how easy they are to produce, ahead of next year, when they could become regular features - assuming you lot want to carry on playing, and want me to carry on hosting it! I've got some other ideas for the competition itself, but I want to be careful it doesn't get too complicated.
The Raven
All Zones

Post by The Raven »

Personally I think your doing an excellent job!

No complaints from me! :D
Go Pack Go!
One of the New York Six
Former holder of Zone One, Overground and DLR record
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

^ Thanks!

Quite an incredible result today - not in the race, which was another win for you-know-who - but in our game. It seems that having your picks carried over has not been a disadvantage at all this year, with a number of high scores coming that way. Palkanetoijala got a new high score for the season - the second week in a row that has happened - with 179 points, despite not entering a fresh set of picks this week. It doesn't change anything overall, but the standings did seem to close up a bit this week. You can see them here.

There's a fortnight gap until the next race, which is the brand-new Indian Grand Prix. I think the circuit looks like one of the most exciting new tracks we've seen in years, so I'm looking forward to it. The entry form can be found here.
hopeful traveller
All Zones

Post by hopeful traveller »

Root wrote:^ Thanks!

Quite an incredible result today - not in the race, which was another win for you-know-who - but in our game. It seems that having your picks carried over has not been a disadvantage at all this year, with a number of high scores coming that way. Palkanetoijala got a new high score for the season - the second week in a row that has happened - with 179 points, despite not entering a fresh set of picks this week. It doesn't change anything overall, but the standings did seem to close up a bit this week. You can see them here.

There's a fortnight gap until the next race, which is the brand-new Indian Grand Prix. I think the circuit looks like one of the most exciting new tracks we've seen in years, so I'm looking forward to it. The entry form can be found here.
SECOND PLACE! Although I'm a Senna fan and I got caught out the Toro Rossos.
Korea is my favourite race of the year - Turns 7 - 14 are much better than the esses.
Everyone picked Schuey as well.
1 FNC Completion (PB: 17:18:18 with G Bryant, A Chilcraft, I MacNaughton)
4 Zone Ones (PB: 03:00:35 with G Bryant)
15 R15s (PB: 01:55:48 with T Cooling and R Jackson)
11 All Lines (PB: 00:44:03)
Winner of the 2014 Formula 1 Side Competition
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Reminder time. The deadline is today, and the entry form is here.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

The entry form is closed. There were seven entries and one set of picks carried over. The popularity contest table is here.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Nobody has picked Hamilton for a win this year?

Is that right?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

This race.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

New track, same result. Same result.

You'll have to excuse me for not giving a more detailed write-up - I barely slept last night and I'm dead tired. The entry form for the next round will be along later as the next round is in a fortnight's time.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Here's the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix entry form for all you lucky folks. Deadline is next Thursday; there'll be a reminder.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Here is that reminder: you've got 25 hours left to enter.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

The deadline has passed, which means I can show you this. I think it's fair to say that there were a few unusual driver choices this time around.

I've been spending a lot of time working on next year's prediction competition over the last two days. Nothing much will change in how the game is played or scored, but a lot will change in how you enter and how the results are published. Basically, I felt like I wanted to cut down on all the work I have to do every time there is a race (a lot of copying and pasting, calculating the scores manually for each entry, formatting, posting here to give the URL, updating my signature, editing the new entry form), so it will be much more automated. You will be able to enter any round whenever you like up until the deadline, without having to wait for me to "open" a new entry form, and there will be a single spreadsheet for the results, standings and a single "popularity contest" for the whole season. You will be able to enter the same picks for multiple rounds if you want to. All I'll have to do is type in the top ten drivers in the race and the results will be calculated automatically. If anyone wants a sneak preview, PM me and you can help test it out.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

That was the Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, then. The DRS made it possible to overtake, which is a positive development over the previous two years, but it still feels so artificial to me. The race was decent, but the result was great. I don't say just say that as a fan of the winning driver, but as a fan of variety!

I was thinking after the first lap that a slightly different set of picks would pay dividends, but it's still scrxisi at the top of the pack as everyone's scores fell. Tubeguru's picks were just a bit too different, and they dragged the average score down to be the lowest since Canada, eleven rounds ago. The full results are here.

It seems pretty certain that scrxisi will finish with the highest score, but what difference will the 100-point bonus coming somebody's way make? I'll reveal the lucky player after the Brazilian GP entry form has closed - the deadline is Thursday the 24th of November and the race is in a fortnight's time. Things are very close in the "best five" category, with five of us separated by just two points in the running for third place. I'd like to say "it's all to play for", but there's really nothing to play for except pride, fun (hopefully) and the promise of a beer from me to the overall winner. Yes, other drinks are available - but why would you want them?
Last edited by Root on 13 Nov 2011, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.