Christmas Rare Entries Quiz

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Re: Christmas Rare Entries Quiz

Post by Edgemaster »

I'd have immediately said that Woodmansterne is outside of London, but now I consider it, I don't actually know where Woodmansterne station is, although I used to cycle through the village quite regularly.

I'm quite surprised I won this! I'm fairly glad about some of the choices I made, too. I note that people had picked some of the ones I considered to be obscure, especially for #10, I was erring between Birkbeck, Beckenham Road and Belmont for my answer - unsure of whether tram stops counted, and especially unsure of the dualish-station of Beckenham Road.

I particularly liked RichieG's "London Underground" response, too!

And with regards to my high-scoring answer for #7 - I just like home!

And finally, my solution for #3 was distilled down from a most novel online resource - a list of all the types of lifts, escalators and travelators on the tube! I was quite astonished at just quite how many there are at a few of these stations!

Code: Select all

Bank (15)
Bond Street (8)
Canada Water (8)
Canary Wharf (20)
Canning Town (10)
Charing Cross (10) (5 closed)
Embankment (10)
Euston (8)
Green Park (11)
King's Cross (19?)
Liverpool Street (9)
London Bridge (17)
North Greenwich (10)
Oxford Circus (14)
Piccadilly Circus (11)
Southwark (8)
Waterloo (23)
Westminster (17)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

If the quizmaster isn't going to change his mind on the adjudication then I suggest he words his questions more carefully in future. :)

After all, we're always slaughtering Tangy for his Railbenders so we may as well continue the trend.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

As I said in my PM entry, Chesham has two platforms, though one of them is now a garden. I think the above debate about the definition of what constitutes a station would have covered that, were it not already ruled out for being outside of Greater London.

Great quiz, I hope there are more!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Nice quiz, I enjoyed that. And a good defence of your marking, too.
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

After being highly sceptical to begin with I'd have to say that this quiz was an overwhelming success, thanks for organising it Peter!

I did remarkably well in this quiz to say that I didn't really think about it - going into Question 10 my score was just 144 (which would have put me in 4th place!) however I stupidly put New Addington as my answer despite never having been there. I did think of both Mill Hill East & Emerson Park but thought both were too obvious, so looked to the Croydon Tramlink as I couldn't think of any other single platform stations on the Tube or DLR or the limited sections of Greater London NR which I have traversed. Heathrow T4 was therefore a brilliant answer, Richie!

Anyhow, to continue explaining my frankly awful logic which wrecked my result: I've only ever been on the Tramlink from Wimbledon to Ellmers End (also proving how long ago it was), and could only think of the single platform at each terminus, however both also have "other" platforms so I didn't put them. Using this logic I also discarded Beckenham Junction so I plumped for New Addington which in retrospect was a big mistake - it bumped up my score from 144 to 1152!

What I should have done (which I'm now surprised that no one else did) was go for one of the central stations on the Tramlink such as Reeves Corner.

It's from this recent thinking that I'd like to question Birkbeck as an answer to question 10 - does it not have 1 Tramlink platform and 1 National Rail platforms making a total of 2, or is it counted as 2 adjacent stations with the same name? I can see both arguments here, and in fact would rather that it remained as it is or else my score will increase to 1296!!! :lol:

(If it is changed then here is a reminder that it will affect the totals of 9 people, myself included.) :wink:

As an aside, beside those on the Tramlink, are there any other correct answers for this question anyone? :?
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

greatkingrat wrote:8) Name a National Rail station, outside London, that has 8 or more platforms in use.
3: Brighton, Edinburgh Waverley
2: Glasgow Queen Street, Leeds
1: Birmingham New Street, Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester Piccadilly, Newcastle, Sheffield
Wrong (6): Orpington (in London)
Other correct answers: Blackpool North, Bristol Temple Meads, Carlisle, Crewe, Doncaster, Glasgow Central, Preston, Reading, Stirling, Watford Junction, York (+others?)
As seen as I've asked a few questions, I thought the least I could do was attempt to answer one - this one. I thought it would be easy to find a list of all stations with 8 or more platforms but it wasn't!!! However Ihave racked my brains and can't think of any more, but I would still be interested to know if there were any more. Tangy - when the snooker's finished I'm looking at you! :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

This is where the quality of your railway atlas collection comes into play.

Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I did have to think about whether Birkbeck should be accepted or not. I decided that as it is not possible to get from the tram platform to the train platform without exiting to street level that it should be considered as two seperate stations.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Is another one of these happening?? :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Would anyone mind if I went ahead and carried this on? I get the impression this was quite popular.

That is if greatkingrat hasn't got another in the offing or had plans to continue with another one.

Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Yes, that is fine by me
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Thanks - I'll think of some questions!

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Excellent :D Glad this quiz is being ran again, it was good last time :)
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

It won't all be railway-themed this time - there's only so much you can do.

I'm happy to run this permanently if people like it (did GKR have any plans for a permanent running of it?)

Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Well I was going to do another one next Christmas :D I think it is a good idea to extend the range of topics otherwise it gets a bit repetitive.