Christmas Rare Entries Quiz

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
greatkingrat
All Zones

Christmas Rare Entries Quiz

Post by greatkingrat »

I saw a quiz like this on another forum so I thought I would give it a go here. Each question has multiple correct answers, the idea of the quiz is not only to give a correct answer, but to give a correct answer that is given by as few other people as possible.

Rules
- Each question must be answered with a correct answer for that question. Any answer that is incorrect will receive twice the highest score for that question.
- You must PM me your answers, DO NOT post your answers in this thread, you can change your answers at any point before the closing date which is 5th January at 8pm.

Scoring
- The score given for each question will be equal to the number of players with that same answer (example: If the question was to name a vowel and 3 people say E, 5 people said A and 1 person said B then those who said E will score 3, those who said A will score 5, and the person who said B will score 10 as it is incorrect.)
- The final score will be the product of the scores (example: if there were 3 questions and your scores were 3, 8 and 7 your final score would be 3 * 8 * 7 = 168).
- The winner is the player with the lowest final score.

Hopefully that makes sense, but if there are any queries then let me know

So, the questions that you need to answer are:

1) Name a line on the London Underground.
2) Name a Train Operating Company that accepts Oyster PAYG on some or all of its services.
3) Name a LU station that has 8 or more escalators.
4) Name a London bus route that is, or has been, regularly run by bendy buses.
5) Name a place that is featured in the name of three or more London Underground stations (eg if West Croydon, East Croydon and South Croydon were LU stations, then Croydon would be a correct answer).
6) Name a person who has held the Guinness World Record for visiting every LU station since 1 Jan 2005.
7) Name a London Borough that does not have any London Underground stations in it.
8) Name a National Rail station, outside London, that has 8 or more platforms in use.
9) Name a LU station that begins and ends with the same letter
10) Name a station in Greater London that only has one platform

Clarification: For Q8 I will be counting platform faces, where there is a platform with different numbers at each end (eg 1a and 1b) this will be counted as only 1 platform. I will count any platform that can currently be used for passenger trains, whether it is used regularly or not.
Last edited by greatkingrat on 23 Dec 2010, 18:57, edited 2 times in total.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Christmas Rare Entries Quiz

Post by tubeguru »

It will be interesting to see how people play this ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tubeguru wrote:It will be interesting to see how people play this ...
i did
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

I think there's a TV programme which uses the same sort of format.

2 things that strike me with this quiz - first is the fact you omitted a deadline (actually that was the second thing that struck me, but requires least explanation).

Secondly, the forum-nature of this quiz gives time for people to think about it, which could skew the answers slightly. Using the vowels example you cited earlier, five people could say E, but with a chance to think about it, might chose to go for U instead, thinking that not many people will go for it. (I've kind of thought this as one of the questions you've given has the same problem - I initially thought of quite an 'obscure' answer for one of the questions, but because of this don't think it'll be the best one to chose because many people may decide to change their mind...)

Anyway, as the way people should anwer such a quiz, I'm just going to enter with the first answers that pop into my head and screw with tactics!
Last edited by RichieG on 23 Dec 2010, 13:17, edited 1 time in total.
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

You're thinking of Pointless with Alexander Armstrong.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

RichieG wrote:Secondly, the forum-nature of this quiz gives time for people to think about it, which could skew the answers slightly. Using the vowels example you cited earlier, five people could say E, but with a chance to think about it, might chose to go for U instead, thinking that not many people will go for it. (I've kind of thought this as one of the questions you've given has the same problem - I initially thought of quite an 'obscure' answer for one of the questions, but because of this don't think it'll be the best one to chose because many people may decide to change their mind...)
You've hit upon the very thing that makes this quiz interesting. You've also now alerted everyone else to something they may not have considered before.

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Could I ask for clarification on a couple of things?

First, platforms in regular use (question eight). Do you mean platform FACES or NUMBERED platforms? Also, how are you going to clarify that these platforms are in "regular use"?

Secondly, can you define "since 2005" (question six)? Since it started or since it ended?

Good luck in validating the answers for question three ...

Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I have reworded questions 6+8 slightly to make them clearer. Where 1 platform face has two different numbers, this will be counted as 1 platform. Also, I will count any platform that can currently be used for passenger trains, whether it is used regularly or not.

The deadline is 5th January at 8pm, which was in the original post, admittedly it wasn't made very obvious.
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

Ooh, was... Pimlico one?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Elephant and Castle and Lambeth North would have scored quite low I would imagine.

Member of sweet FA
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Would've thought that HSK and Hyde Park Corner would be quite low down too... in fact, I'd expect that a look at The Map would provide a good number of possibles... most of the non-interchanges really; possibly ones which even we wouldn't necessarily think of as they are simple pass-through stations...
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
Edgemaster
Zone 5

Post by Edgemaster »

Hmm... Indeedy
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I can't remember all of them but am aware that Great Portland Street, Lancaster Gate and Lambeth North were definitely pointless answers.
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

13 entries so far - just a reminder that the closing date is 5th Jan if anyone else wants to enter.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Looks fun, I'll think about my answers and then submit an entry.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings