Christmas Rare Entries Quiz

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Christmas Rare Entries Quiz

Post by tubeguru »

Might I suggest that we don't have so much time for the next one?

I know we've had Christmas, but it seems ages since you set this quiz.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Only 18 hours to go...
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

OK, the results are now in, there were 16 entries in total and the answers given were:

1) Name a line on the London Underground.
3: Circle, Waterloo & City
2: Central, Hammersmith & City, Northern, Piccadilly
1: Bakerloo, Victoria
Other correct answers: District, Jubilee, Metropolitan

2) Name a Train Operating Company that accepts Oyster PAYG on some or all of its services.
3: First Capital Connect, London Overground
2: Chiltern, First Great Western, Southern
1: c2c, London Midland, London Underground, South West Trains
Other correct answers: NXEA, Southeastern

I was unsure about accepting London Underground as a TOC, however it is listed on the NR website http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/tocs_maps/tocs/

3) Name a LU station that has 8 or more escalators.
5: Waterloo
3: King's Cross St Pancras
2: Bank/Monument
1: Canary Wharf, Canning Town, Euston, London Bridge, Oxford Circus, Southwark
Other correct answers: Bond Street, Canada Water, Embankment, Green Park, Liverpool Street, North Greenwich, Piccadilly Circus, Westminster

A lot of possible answers here so I am not sure why Waterloo was so popular.

4) Name a London bus route that is, or has been, regularly run by bendy buses.
2: 12, 18, 29, 149, 453
1: 38, 73, 436, 507
Wrong (4): 5, C1
Other correct answers: 521, 25, 207

I can't find any evidence of the 5 or the C1 ever being run by bendy buses.

5) Name a place that is featured in the name of three or more London Underground stations (eg if West Croydon, East Croydon and South Croydon were LU stations, then Croydon would be a correct answer).
3: Hounslow, Wimbledon
2: Ealing, Edgware, Wembley
1: Acton, Heathrow, North, Ruislip
Other correct answers: Clapham, Finchley, Harrow, Kensington

One entrant cleverly answered "North". As there is a town in South Carolina called North then this is technically correct.

6) Name a person who has held the Guinness World Record for visiting every LU station since 1 Jan 2005.
3: Ryan Brown
2: Andi James, Steve Wilson, Steven Karahan
1: Hakan Wolge, John Stark, Lars Andersson, Neil Blake, Philip Brown, Rachel Brabbins, Sara Wearn
Other correct answers: Geoff Marshall, Sam Cawley, Antony Brown, Kevin Brown, Martin Hazel

Generally people stayed away from the more active forum members and instead ended up colliding on Ryan Brown. 3 of the 5 entrants who could have answered themselves did so.

7) Name a London Borough that does not have any London Underground stations in it.
4: Bromley, Sutton
3: Bexley
1: Hackney, Kingston, Lewisham
Wrong (8): Orpington, Wandsworth
Other correct answers: Croydon

Wandsworth contains several stations on the District and Northern lines, while Orpington is not a London Borough. Manor House is on the border of Hackney and Haringey but I don't think this counts as being 'in' Hackney.

8) Name a National Rail station, outside London, that has 8 or more platforms in use.
3: Brighton, Edinburgh Waverley
2: Glasgow Queen Street, Leeds
1: Birmingham New Street, Liverpool Lime Street, Manchester Piccadilly, Newcastle, Sheffield
Wrong (6): Orpington (in London)
Other correct answers: Blackpool North, Bristol Temple Meads, Carlisle, Crewe, Doncaster, Glasgow Central, Preston, Reading, Stirling, Watford Junction, York (+others?)

The obvious answers generally did well on this question, while Brighton was suprisingly common.

9) Name a LU station that begins and ends with the same letter
3: North Acton, Southfields
2: Hornchurch, Kilburn Park
1: Eastcote, Elephant & Castle, Euston Square, Neasden, Seven Sisters, St Pauls
Other correct answers: Edgware, Hammersmith, Ruislip Manor, West Harrow

10) Name a station in Greater London that only has one platform
4: Emerson Park, Mill Hill East
1: Beckenham Road, Belmont, Birkbeck, Heathrow Terminal 4
Wrong (8): Bank, New Addington, Silvertown, Woodmansterne
Other correct answers: Chesham

MHE was probably the most obvious answer. Several people must have thought they were being clever by picking the obscure Emerson Park, while no-one went for Chesham at all. I am not accepting Silvertown as an answer as the question is in the current tense.

Results to follow shortly
Last edited by greatkingrat on 06 Jan 2011, 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

RESULTS
64 Edgemaster
72 RichieG
128 Starkey7
384 al
432 scrxisi
972 Steeevooo
1152 Mitchell&BrownLook
1296 jbom
1920 uefacup81
2592 Root
11520 tubeguru
11520 Sam
11664 mullardo
20736 palkanetoijala31
34560 garion24wales
69120 jamesthegill

The answers of the top 3 were

Edgemaster
Northern
Southern
Southwark
Edgware
Phillip Brown
Sutton
Newcastle
Elephant & Castle
Belmont

RichieG
Waterloo & City
London Underground
Bank/Monument
Hounslow
Sara Wearn
Lewisham
Glasgow Queen Street
Euston Square
Heathrow Terminal 4

Starkey7
Central
Chiltern
Oxford Circus
Ealing
John Stark
Hackney
Leeds
Eastcote
Emerson Park

Congratulations to Tom for winning!
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Cracking quiz, Peter :D

Amazing how frustrating it is to see that some answers where I thought no one would go for at least one other did, gah! :x

Congrats to Tom, though.
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

greatkingrat wrote:10) Name a station in Greater London that only has one platform

MHE was probably the most obvious answer. Several people must have thought they were being clever by picking the obscure Emerson Park, while no-one went for Chesham at all. I am not accepting Silvertown as an answer as the question is in the current tense.
It IS a cracking quiz, but I have an issue with question 10.

You didn't accept my answer of "Silvertown" because you claim that the question is "in the present tense". Silvertown IS a station in London. It is closed, it is derelict and it is unused, but it is a station; the platform remains in place and the trackbed is present. All they need to do is relay track and tidy the platform up and it is an OPERATING station again.

If you had wanted us to only answer stations that are IN USE, then you should have said so in the question. After all, you allowed the answer "North" for question three, and even congratulated the person for being clever, and that is the most blatant example of pushing the boundaries I have seen in a quiz on this forum. I have to admit I thought I was being slightly clever in answering Silvertown, and I claim that it is a valid answer.

End of stroppy rant by competitive admin who wants a lower score, or maybe not if it gets accepted and someone else said it too ...

Can we have another quiz please?

Member of sweet FA
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

al wrote:Amazing how frustrating it is to see that some answers where I thought no one would go for at least one other did, gah! :x
This is the whole thing. You talk yourself out of an answer because you think everyone else went for it, only to find they did the same!

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Definitely, I went for Emerson Park because I thought that everyone would say Chesham! :P
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Mind if I have a go at some pedantry? (haven't done much for a while...)

In Q7 you disallow Orpington as it's not a London borough, yet also disallow it in Q8 down to it being 'in London'... (admittedly, I could do a bit of research here to see the locations of said places, but can't be arsed... does look a bit weird though...)

Also, in Q8 you allow Watford Junction as a valid answer, yet allow Chesham for Q10 - neither of which is in 'Greater London', and if memory serves me correctly, geographically at least, Watford Junction is closer to Greater London than Chesham is...

Incidentally, my answer for one of the questions was given due to a bit of LU trivia that I even managed to catch Tangy out with...
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

RichieG wrote: Also, in Q8 you allow Watford Junction as a valid answer, yet allow Chesham for Q10 - neither of which is in 'Greater London', and if memory serves me correctly, geographically at least, Watford Junction is closer to Greater London than Chesham is...
Q8 only says "outside London" not "outside Greater London", so allowing Watford for Q8 is wholly reasonable. Chesham for Q10 could be more arguable...
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
jbom
Zone 3

Post by jbom »

RichieG wrote:Mind if I have a go at some pedantry? (haven't done much for a while...)

In Q7 you disallow Orpington as it's not a London borough, yet also disallow it in Q8 down to it being 'in London'... (admittedly, I could do a bit of research here to see the locations of said places, but can't be arsed... does look a bit weird though...)
Orpington is part of the London Borough of Bromley. Hence it is in London, but not itself a London Borough.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

tubeguru wrote:You didn't accept my answer of "Silvertown" because you claim that the question is "in the present tense". Silvertown IS a station in London. It is closed, it is derelict and it is unused, but it is a station; the platform remains in place and the trackbed is present. All they need to do is relay track and tidy the platform up and it is an OPERATING station again.

If you had wanted us to only answer stations that are IN USE, then you should have said so in the question. After all, you allowed the answer "North" for question three, and even congratulated the person for being clever, and that is the most blatant example of pushing the boundaries I have seen in a quiz on this forum. I have to admit I thought I was being slightly clever in answering Silvertown, and I claim that it is a valid answer.

End of stroppy rant by competitive admin who wants a lower score, or maybe not if it gets accepted and someone else said it too ...

Can we have another quiz please?
A station is somewhere that trains stop at. As that section of line is now closed there are no longer any trains to stop there and therefore it is no longer a station, merely an ex-station.

There might be another quiz at some point, if I can think of another 10 suitable questions.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

RichieG wrote:Mind if I have a go at some pedantry? (haven't done much for a while...)

Also, in Q8 you allow Watford Junction as a valid answer, yet allow Chesham for Q10 - neither of which is in 'Greater London', and if memory serves me correctly, geographically at least, Watford Junction is closer to Greater London than Chesham is...

Incidentally, my answer for one of the questions was given due to a bit of LU trivia that I even managed to catch Tangy out with...
You are quite correct that Chesham is not a correct answer to Q10, which may explain why no-one answered it!
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

jbom wrote:

Orpington is part of the London Borough of Bromley. Hence it is in London, but not itself a London Borough.
Fair enough, makes perfect sense that :)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

greatkingrat wrote:10) Name a station in Greater London that only has one platform

My go at pedantic stroppyness - Woodmansterne only has one platform as it's an island platform. It has two faces I grant you, but the question didn't ask for one platform face - just platform.
tubeguru wrote: After all, you allowed the answer "North" for question three, and even congratulated the person for being clever, and that is the most blatant example of pushing the boundaries I have seen in a quiz on this forum.
Thank you, I'm proud :D
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.