Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Re: Tangy's Rail Brainbenders VI

Post by Sam »

Right, so now the second deadline has passed, I assume there won't be a third one so when can we expect answers?
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Now dammit!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
dudey
Zone 5

Post by dudey »

ok i'm just gonna say it. don't you lot have lives?
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Yes I do have a life!!! I just don't like lateness....
:D First and so far only female solo record holder!! :D

Ze forum's female train driver
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Ahh so thats why LO is always on time?
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Right, I declare this quiz officially CLOSED. The following people have entered the quiz along with thier answers:

Sam:
1. They all have AC electrics when the surronding stations do not.
2. Class 60
3. It tells the driver that the junction ahead is set for the diverging route and the route is clear across the junction
4. Doncaster Railway Station
5. 2
6. X4 / X5
7. H
8. 4.12 metres
9. Cremorne Bridge
0. Shrewsbury Railway Station

Starkey:
1. At least one dedicated goods platform
2. The Valiant
3. Well double yellow shows that the second signal ahead is currently red, but when it's flashing I think that it's because the train is being switched from the fast line to the slow, or slow to fast.
4. Stockport?
5. None. It's a trick question.
6. 66
7. H
8. 0 - they're the same
9. A bridge
0. Paddington (**I wouldn't like to see an ATW Sprinter in PAD**)

Tubeguru:
1. Well there could be anything linking the three but I'm going to say they're all in zone 3.
2. Class 60.
3. A route is set across a diverging junction ahead, over which the speed of the train must be reduced. The driver must understand that the first signal after the junction may be showing a red aspect.
4. I believe there are TWO stations with seven TOCS, viz:
--Crewe (ATW, EMT, First Scot Rail, London Midland, Northern, Cross Country and Virgin)
--Doncaster (EMT, Cross Country, East Coast, First Hull Trains, First Transpennine Express, Northern and Grand Central)
5. Two.
6. Assuming you are referring to Windermere as the nearest "railhead" I would say 505, 555, 556, whatever. Buses bore me.
7. H.
8. 172 = 23.62m, 150 = 19.50m. Difference = 4.12m, or 4 metres to the nearest 0.25 of a metre.
9. Cremome Bridge.
0. Pffff ... how about the 04.36 ATW service from Swansea to Shrewsbury?

rhubarbrhubarb:
1. AC electrification, but no electric trains call.
2. Class 60, I think.
3. Route set for a diverging junction two signals ahead.
4. Doncaster.
5. Two.
6. X4 and X5 (to/from Penrith).
7. Coach H.
8. 4.12m.
9. Well, I've found four names for this particular bridge! NR call it the 'Chelsea River Bridge' but its real, proper, name is the 'Cremorne Bridge'. However, it has also been called the 'Battersea Railway Bridge' and the 'Battersea New Bridge'!
10. A guess - the 0436 to Shrewsbury?
-------------------------------------------------------------
The following entries were submitted after the original deadline thus will only score HALF POINTS for this quiz.

scrxisi:
1. All stations on AC electrified lines that have no AC passenger services calling
2. Oh god knows. 43?
3. (Facing) Points are set for a diverging route at junction ahead over which speed must be reduced. As it is two yellows in this case, driver should expect to find a single flashing yellow at his next signal, a steady yellow with a route indicator after that, and then a red signal at the signal after that. Surely I've said enough by now
4. Doncaster or Crewe. I claim two points (**cheeky**)
5. Two
6. X5 probably, but I got confused when looking in a rush
7. H
8. 4m (to nearest 25cm)
9. Cremorne Bridge
0. It goes forward as 2M43 to Shrewsbury

greatkingrat:
1. they are electrified but no electric trains stop there
2. class 60
3. there is a junction ahead and the train will be taking the slower route
4. Crewe
5. 2
6. X4/X5/X50
7. H
8. 4.1m
9. Chelsea Bridge
0. Shrewsbury

steeevooo::
1. They are all rail stations.
2. No idea, but it's probably on a scrap heap somewhere by now.
3. The next signal is a flashing single yellow.
4. A busy station.
5. Three.
6. 13A.
7. A.
8. 37m 25cm.
9. A bridge.
0. Fishguard Harbour

jamesthegill:
1. They've all lost their station buildings and are operated from temporary structures.
2. Class 60
3. No epileptics allowed.
4. King's Cross. First Hull Trains, East Coast, Grand Central, FCC, London Buses, London Underground and Hogwart's Express.
5. Five, with one outside.
6. X4 or X5
7. H
8. 4.12m
9. Bob.
0. Bed.

The answers from the quizmaster will follow shortly once in another post followed by the scores when he has sifted through the various answers.
Last edited by tangy on 01 Nov 2010, 21:43, edited 1 time in total.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

I know I submitted my answers while drunk, but I'm fairly certain they were as below, and not the ones attributed above.

1. What attribute is shared by Woodgrange Park, South Tottenham and Acton Main Line? They've all lost their station buildings and are operated from temporary structures.

2. What was the last diesel locomotive to be ordered by and built for British Rail? (As opposed to the privitised rail system we have today) Class 60

3. On a high speed rail route, what does a flashing double yellow aspect signify? No epileptics allowed.

4. What is the only station to have SEVEN different TOCs serving it? King's Cross. First Hull Trains, East Coast, Grand Central, FCC, London Buses, London Underground and Hogwart's Express.

5. On Mon-Fri diagrams, how many East Coast HSTs stable at Aberdeen Clayhills? Five, with one outside.

6. What is the route number/s of the rail-link bus that provides a link from the nearest railhead to Keswick? X4 or X5

7. What coach letter is the First Class quiet coach on a Pendolino?
H

8. How much longer is a class 172 coach to a class 150/1 coach? 4.12m

9. What is the official name for the structure that carries the West London line over the Thames? Bob.

0. Upon arrival at Swansea with the 0150 from Fishguard Harbour on Mon- Sat, the unit then works forward to...? Bed.
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Sorry James, I seemed to have missed your answers off the above list of entrants. The answers which were attributed to you are actaully by Steevooo.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Thank you. My daft replies weren't nearly as funny as Steveoooo's, I'm not stealing his credit :P
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Here are the actaul answers from the quizmaster, with a few extra snippets of information tagged on which you may find useful.

1. What attribute is shared by Woodgrange Park, South Tottenham and Acton Main Line?
The above three stations all have AC electric (overhead) wires passing through them but no electric trains call at these stations.

2. What was the last diesel locomotive to be ordered by and built for British Rail? (As opposed to the privitised rail system we have today).
The class 60. The last member of the class, 60100, holds the honour of being the very last locomotive built for British Rail. Sadly, thier current owner, DB Schenker/EWS have very little interest in these powerful locomotives and most are sitting at various depots not turning a wheel!

3. On a high speed rail route, what does a flashing double yellow aspect signify?
A flashing double yellow aspect signifies that the junction ahead is set for the diverging route over which speed must be reduced. After the flashing double yellow, the driver will see a single flashing yellow then a steady yellow (with feather) before the actaul divergence. Even though the route has been set, the steady yellow signal before the junction should be regarded as a caution signal as the next signal may well be at danger. Should the diverging route be clear, the junction signal will change to green within the drivers sighting. ** The whole point will be awarded if you mention diverging junction and reduced speed, half point for one of these**

4. What is the only station to have SEVEN different TOCs serving it?
Yet again, you have managed to excel yourselves and beat the quizmaster by providing an alternative answer in addition to the one I was thinking of! My original answer to this was CREWE (VT, ATW, LM, EM, SR, XC, NT) but following your answers DONCASTER is also a valid answer with EC, XC, HT, TP, NT, EM and GC all calling there. I will accept one or the other.

5. On Mon-Fri diagrams, how many East Coast HSTs stable at Aberdeen Clayhills?
Two HSTs stable overnight at Aberdeen Clayhills. The 1400 and 1600 ex KGX are the up workings involved.

6. What is the route number/s of the rail-link bus that provides a link from the nearest railhead to Keswick?
The nearest railhead is Penrith (17 miles from Keswick). Thus Keswick and Penrith are linked by Stagecoach North West routes X4 and X5 running between Penrith and Workington via Keswick and Cockermouth (but via different routes). Despite being a dedicated rail-link route, it doesn't connect very well with the Pendo from London! **You need to mention both route numbers to gain the full point**

7. What coach letter is the First Class quiet coach on a Pendolino?
Coach H is the First class quiet coach on a Pendo.

8. How much longer is a class 172 coach to a class 150/1 coach? **Answer in metres to within a quarter of a metre**
A class 150/1 coach is 19.74m long and a class 172 coach is 23.27 metres. Doing a quick calculation gives...3.53m, thus anywhere between 3.28 and 3.78 is acceptable. The dimension of 23.62 refers to the length of the earlier type of Turbostar- the class 170 family.

9. What is the official name for the structure that carries the West London line over the Thames?
Despite Network Rail calling it the Chelsea (Rail) Bridge and other names like Battersea Rail bridge being mentioned, the official name for this structure is the Cremorne Viaduct (or Bridge).

0. Upon arrival at Swansea with the 0150 from Fishguard Harbour on Mon- Sat, the unit then works forward to...?
Shrewsbury, the 2M43 0436 Swansea- Shrewsbury via Llandovery.

So now for the all important scores...
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

tangy wrote: 9. What is the official name for the structure that carries the West London line over the Thames?
Despite Network Rail calling it the Chelsea (Rail) Bridge and other names like Battersea Rail bridge being mentioned, the official name for this structure is the Cremorne Viaduct (or Bridge).
As the bridge is owned by Network Rail, surely the name that they use is by definition the official one?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I smell bullshit vis-a-vis question eight. Can you explain your reasoning for deciding that a clasd 172 coach is not 23.62m long?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

tangy wrote:8. How much longer is a class 172 coach to a class 150/1 coach? **Answer in metres to within a quarter of a metre**
A class 150/1 coach is 19.74m long and a class 172 coach is 23.27 metres. Doing a quick calculation gives...3.53m, thus anywhere between 3.28 and 3.78 is acceptable. The dimension of 23.62 refers to the length of the earlier type of Turbostar- the class 170 family.
Source? I've got one here that says otherwise.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

jamesthegill wrote:Source? I've got one here that says otherwise.
My source is the Platform 5 Publishing "Locomotives and Coaching Stock 2010" which is widely used among enthuiasts. Before each class unit the author gives various technical info like what engine it is, what is its max speed etc.

In this fleetbook, the class 170 is listed as 23.62m per coach and the 172 as 23.27m per coach (this measurement includes the coupler). This does strike me as odd as it is essntially the same Turbostar body as the 170.

If you haven't heard of Platform 5 Publishing they are known for the superb railway journal "Todays Railways UK"

The source you posted James was posted in January 2008 when the order had only just been finalised, thus may of guessed they would be teh same length as a class 170. Also upon reading the source it says that class 172/0 (the ones now in the GOBLIN) have a toilet onboard, no they don't!