NR (or Non-TfL) Photo Quiz (New! 25/07)

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

NR (or Non-TfL) Photo Quiz (New! 25/07)

Post by RichieG »

Simple one to start with... Where is this?

Deadline for PM answers, 2000hrs Sunday 6 June 2010.

EDIT to clarify - this is any station that would not be in the normal Photo Quiz - as I understand it, the normal Photo Quiz has scope for any station on the Tube Map (including Overground services and, it seems, places like Fenchurch Street which, while not on the network as such, are mentioned on the Map) and includes the entire country and can even include heritage railways.
Last edited by RichieG on 25 Jul 2010, 23:49, edited 4 times in total.
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: NR (or Non-TfL) Photo Quiz

Post by tubeguru »

Easy. :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

The correct answer was Exeter St Davids station.

As is the protocol for Photo Quizzes here, I was going to make some sort of comment regarding Great Western and the London & South Western, similar to my plan for Friday when my routes mostly went from the north-west corner of Zone 1 and we started at Waterloo. However, that wouldn't work given that EXD was served by both GWR and LSWR, like now served by both FGW and SWT.

So, camping by the River are Tangy and Tubeguru. Flooded out is Going Underground (Queenstown Road (Battersea)) (although looking up Queenstown Road, I can see slight similarities). Special credit (but no points thuogh) to Scrxixi who correctly identified that it wasn't in London.

Tangy has asked if he could submit the next photograph; I've suggested that we do it in the same thread for now to avoid clogging the board up. So over to you Tangy :)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Photo will be up tomorrow- most of my NR photos are on my older computer which I need to fire up (did not transfer them over to this new computer).
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

Okay, let's try again with another one...

Where was I when I took this photograph? (more specific than 'you were in your car', which incidentally I was...)

As a clue - it's not in the London area.

Answers by PM please, deadline is the end of 2359 on Thursday the Twenty-fourth of June in the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand and Ten.

tangy
Site Administrator

Re: NR (or Non-TfL) Photo Quiz (New! 20/06)

Post by tangy »

Sorry for letting you down Richie, I have got some material now for this, so will post up the next one.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

Tangy.
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

don't worry - i just got bored waiting :)
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

I'm getting a bit bored waiting for the answer to this. So I can see if I've humiliated myself!
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

Well... I can say that none of the entries I've had for this one have been correct.

So now I'm in two minds as to what I should do next - give a clue and keep it open for longer or just announce the answer...

What to do, what to do...

Well I'd imagine that the Tangster is currently waiting to post his up so...

Clue: This station is SOUTH of the South Western Main Line, the train isn't on loan to another company, and is on a regular scheduled run through 'rival's' stations...

I'll give you until Midnight Tuesday (that is, the end of Tuesday / beginning of Wednesday).
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

Ok, with a bit of help from my fellow train enthusiast friend i think I have whittle dit down to one of two possible stations...

Tangy.
RichieG
Zone 6

Post by RichieG »

Okie dokey, the deadline has passed (twice) and so I now present you with the answer.

The correct answer is Fareham, correctly identified by greatkingrat.

Oxford was a commonly suggested one; I say commonly, 100% of people who guessed first time round (perkyperky and Starkey) errored there.

A National Rail Enquiries mention goes to GoingUnderground who suggested Tiverton - I will tell you the story behind this some day, but for now all I will do is say 'there's no station in Tiverton'.

Over to you Tangy :)

(I'll go slightly easier next time around, that one was slightly, I believe the term to use here is, EVL.)
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Try looking near Junction 27 of the M5...
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

There is a station called Tiverton Parkway however it is about 5 miles from Tiverton so can't really be described as being "in Tiverton".
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

greatkingrat wrote:There is a station called Tiverton Parkway however it is about 5 miles from Tiverton so can't really be described as being "in Tiverton".
Hence why it has "Parkway" appended to it.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

and it is very unlikely that it was TVP anyway as Class 158s (of which features in the photo) do not have any booked turns for the class in Devon or Cornwall. They venture as far south as TAU on one or two trains via WSM.

Which led me to believe it was the CDF-PMH/BTN routes as this line is where most of the class are concentrated. In the end I thought it has to be a station east of SOU and had whittled it down to either Fareham or HAV of which I was torn between the two.

Tangy.