World Cup 2010

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
snudge27
All Zones

Re: World Cup 2010

Post by snudge27 »

I reckon the big surprise team is going to be North Korea. They did particularly well last time they played in the World Cup and even got to 3-0 up against Portugal in the quarter final. Yes, they've got a tough group but Portugal have hardly set the world on fire and they may well give Ivory Coast a run for their money.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Uruguay? Cameroon?!

Bollocks.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

No, just the first two...

But you know, I've heard some people say Cameroon are the strongest African team. And Uruguay have the goalscoring sensation, and former goal-missing sensation at Manchester United, that is Diego Forlan. They could go far!
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
al
Zone 6

Post by al »

Could being the operative word :wink:
Held some Alternative Challenge records for a long time.
Doesn't any more.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I don't think that I will be troubling you for a beer with the teams I have drawn. :(
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Korea Republic have started with a 2-0 win over Greece.
I had to check that this was the right Korea before celebrating. :)
One day I shall return!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

How about England's performance last night?

It's quite comical how a decade of under-performing at major tournaments, a squad that doesn't come close to the likes of Brazil or Spain and a series of injuries to key players were forgotten by all and sundry in the build-up to yesterday's game as England were trumpeted as world beaters, only for them to crash down to reality this morning as failures, disappointments, no-hopers etc. Why must it always be one extreme or the other with this country?

I have to say I wasn't particularly surprised at the result, but it was an incredibly frustrating match to watch. England are, or should be, capable of so much better. My pre-tournament opinion hasn't changed: England will lose against the first decent team they come up against, most likely at the quarter-final stage once again.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

To answer your one extreme or the other question, the simple answer is down to the press - they over-hype everything so much, and will always take the extreme views, which sadly, far too many people take to be gospel. The rational people amongst us realise, as you alluded to in your post, that England are not world beaters and that there is a very good reason why we are not amongst the full-blown favourites for the trophy.

As for the game, Rob Green's howler was atrocious and something that really shouldn't be happening at the highest level, there simply was no excuse for it. Very frustrating, and depending on the result of the Algeria - Slovenia game, could put us in a little bit of trouble.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

If Slovenia beat Algeria and the USA then we could be in a bit of trouble, yes ...

Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tubeguru wrote:If Slovenia beat Algeria and the USA then we could be in a bit of trouble, yes ...
Part one complete :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Great result tonight! Maybe I'll be buying myself a pint at the end of this tournament.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Root wrote:Great result tonight! Maybe I'll be buying myself a pint at the end of this tournament.
I reckon you might be! They looked like world-beaters tonight and didn't even appear to get out of second gear. They're my bet to go all the way (unless Korea DPR surprise us all on Tuesday...).
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Group Stage, First Round Update

All 32 teams have now played once, and the general impression is that it's been a pretty dull World Cup so far. Three matches stand out for me: Germany (me) comprehensively beating Australia (Andi) 4-0, Brazil (Geoff) struggling to beat North Korea (Steve K) 2-1, and Switzerland (Richie) upsetting European champions Spain (Richie again) 1-0. The last of those matches puts England's (James T) 1-1 draw with the USA (Geoff) into some perspective, I feel: England can still easily top their group, and no team except Germany has really looked streets ahead of them so far.

The second round starts tonight!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Group Stage, Second Round Update

The second round of matches concluded tonight with Spain (Richie) resoundingly beating Honduras (James T), putting their earlier troubles behind them - something England (Richie) could not manage against lowly Algeria (Garion), putting in a truly woeful performance that was quite excruciating to watch. Most of the big European teams struggled, in fact, with France (Andi) pressing the self-destruct button in quite spectacular style. God knows how they'll get through their final game.

We've now got to the part of the World Cup which is often my favourite - the final, decisive group stage matches. I enjoy looking at the standings and fixtures to work out who needs what to progress. This is probably available elsewhere on t'internet, but regardless, here is my group-by-group analysis:

Group A
Uruguay and Mexico face each other in the final round, and both will progress if they draw. But that would mean Mexico accepting a very high probability of facing Argentina in the Round of 16 (R16), so they may yet play to win. France and South Africa will certainly hope they do - they both need to win convincingly and hope the other match is not a draw to get through.

Group B
Argentina are all but qualified already. Only if Greece beat them by three goals or more, and South Korea beat Nigeria, will they be in any danger of not progressing. That seems highly unlikely. Whoever achieves the better result out of Greece and South Korea will progress, unless Nigeria beat South Korea and Argentina beat Greece, in which case Nigeria will go through.

Group C
All to play for - there are too many permutations to list. From England's perspective, a win against Slovenia will take be enough to progress. A draw will only be good enough if USA and Algeria draw as well, and if England's draw is higher-scoring. A loss for England would mean they are out. Both the USA and Slovenia have their fates in their own hands, with a win guaranteeing a spot in the next round. Algeria must win and achieve a better goal difference than Slovenia, should Slovenia lose to England; otherwise they will both progress.

Group D
Ghana need only to draw with Germany to advance - and that could mean an early exit for the previously impressive Germans if Serbia beat Australia. Germany must win to be sure of a spot in the R16. If Germany lose, Serbia can advance with a draw, and Australia can advance with a victory.

Group E
The Netherlands have already sealed their place in the R16, as Japan and Denmark are yet to play each other, and only one of them can overhaul the Dutch. Cameroon became the first team to be eliminated from the World Cup on the same grounds, as they cannot overtake both Japan and Denmark. The match between those two is the important one, then, but Japan know a draw will be good enough for them as they have a superior goal difference.

Group F
As with Group C, there are many possibilities in this group. The defending champions Italy can progress with a win over Slovakia. A draw would only be good enough if New Zealand also draw, against Paraguay, and score fewer goals in the process. A loss would put them out. Paraguay and New Zealand are guaranteed a place in the R16 should they win, but Slovakia must additionally finish with a superior goal difference to Paraguay to be sure of progressing.

Group G
Brazil are through, and, sadly, North Korea are out. Ivory Coast have only a very slim chance of progressing: they must thrash North Korea and hope Portugal are themselves thrashed by Brazil. A goal difference of 9 must be overturned for the Ivorians to advance. I think they're as good as out.

Group H
Fascinatingly poised: European champions Spain are still not guaranteed a place in the R16. A victory for them against current group leaders Chile would be ideal, as it would also put them top, with the second place being decided on goal difference between Chile and Switzerland, if the latter manage to beat Honduras. A draw for Spain will be good enough only if Switzerland and Honduras draw, or if Honduras win by fewer than four goals. A loss for Spain will only take them through if they have the best goal difference of the three teams if Honduras beat Switzerland, which is an improbably scenario. Chile's spot in the R16 will only be in jeopardy if they lose to Spain and if Switzerland beat Honduras.

If that's not exhaustive, any remaining possibilities can be deduced from what I've written, or by looking at the tables.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

OK, so Uruguay are doing quite well so far but may end up facing Argentina in the next round.

Member of sweet FA