Cryptic tube stations

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
hwolge
Zone 6

Re: Cryptic tube stations

Post by hwolge »

Starkey7 wrote:Once you saw the answers, was it easy to see why they were the answers? That's often the first step in understanding and solving cryptic puzzles.
Yes, most of them I got immediately when seeing the answers, and most of the others after thinking a bit. However, I still don't quite get no 10, but then again, it seems to involve some racial slur (or something?) - so I'm not sure I want to understand it... I think many of them involves words that I only know passively (i.e. know, but don't use myself).

The "ton" meaning one hundred, I'd probably never would have figured, even though I now see it refers to 100 points in darts. Are there any other instances when "ton" means 100? To me, "ton" or (tonne) is so intimately related to 1000 (kg)!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

Are there any other instances when "ton" means 100?
Yes, there are. "Doing a ton" means driving at 100mph, and "ton" is used as an informal alternative to "century" for describing a batsman's score of 100 or more at cricket. [EDIT] "Ton" can also be used to describe a temperature of 100 degrees Fahrenheit. [/EDIT]

Hopefully the following link to the OED works

http://dictionary.oed.com/cgi/entry/502 ... e=50254184

By the way, you may have noticed the visual joke in the tiles at Brixton station

http://www.flickr.com/photos/teflon/372252622/
Last edited by jbom1 on 19 Sep 2008, 10:33, edited 1 time in total.
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

hwolge wrote:However, I still don't quite get no 10, but then again, it seems to involve some racial slur (or something?) - so I'm not sure I want to understand it...
It's not that bad - it's more about racists than actually racist in itself. The Daily Mail is a right-wing newspaper, well known for its hysterical stories (and scary HEADLINES IN CAPITAL LETTERS) about how the country's being overrun by immigrants.

(A while back, one of my colleagues went to a fancy dress party with the rather odd restriction that you had to go as something beginning with the letter X. He decided to go as a xenophobe. Apparently it was a little bit awkward going into the newsagents to buy a copy of the Daily Mail as a prop... from the Indian shopkeeper.)

I thought 'ton' was one of those cockney terms for an amount of money, like 'pony' is £50 (or is it £500? Can never remember...). That one threw me for a few moments too.
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

I thought 'ton' was one of those cockney terms for an amount of money, like 'pony'
It is, or was, meaning £100 (see the dictionary link above), but I can't ever remember hearing it used in that sense, so it may be that this usage is archaic.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

There are only 72 bricks in the Brixton station signage.
One day I shall return!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

But perhaps some are hidden.