Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Can you identify a station from just a paving slab? Sadly, some people can
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: station J

Post by trains 500 »

RobbieM wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:58
trains 500 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:15 Ill start off with a hint: its not New York

Good luck!!!! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu9dqA44dDM

And I have a smaller plethera of submissions for this station than others, detentions soon for incompleted assessments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MO1qybECiGs (its a pretty simple/easy one)
Oooh! I'd recognise that parking sign anywhere! Answer submitted.
answer not received and the parking sign is an interesting method to getting an answer.
Lner station assist (dispatcher)

YT: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... x7lo4OqFpy
Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: station J

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 21:30
RobbieM wrote: 12 Apr 2021, 11:58 Oooh! I'd recognise that parking sign anywhere! Answer submitted.
answer not received and the parking sign is an interesting method to getting an answer.
Oh, sorry! Not sure what happened there. I was using a different 'device' earlier today, and it may have crashed. Will try again...
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'I' - Hint

Post by RobbieM »

So, we've three stations 'live' at the moment - E, I and J. Time for me to speed things up for Station 'I'. It's about time I added a language to the school curriculum, so here's your hint in French:

“Oooh, René! Soixante-deux et demi pour cent!”

Hmmm. Y'know, sometimes I think I just do these hints for people's entertainment, rather than expecting people to understand them... I'll aim to give the answer to 'Station I' on Sunday. Meanwhile, keep trying! :D

(PM Answers for 'Station I' to me, for Stations 'E' & 'J', PM answers to trains 500)
trains 500
Zone 4

Re: Nice-looking station! Where is it?

Post by trains 500 »

Managed to capture a few images today... Aren't u lot lucky...coming soon

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

trains 500 wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 17:34 Managed to capture a few images today... Aren't u lot lucky...coming soon
Oooh, we can't wait! :D

Meanwhile, I'm soon to answer 'Station I'...
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'I' - Answered!

Post by RobbieM »

Right. Time’s up on this one. Let’s use the hint to help us find the answer. (Unless, of course, you prefer to use the photo…):

“Oooh, René!” hopefully pointed you the right direction. It is, of course, a well-known catchphrase from the 1980s sitcom ‘Allo ‘Allo! But what about “Soixante-deux et demi pour cent!”? It’s not as exciting as it may sound, it’s merely 62.5%, or five-eighths. So you can easily work out five-eighths of ‘Allo ‘Allo! Yes, it gives us our station, which is Alloa!

The picture was taken in 2017, and it looks a bit different now, as the line has been electrified. At the moment, Alloa is the end of the line, but maybe they’ll soon get passenger services running to Dunfermline again soon? I do hope so.

The bonus? Well, you can only go one way from Alloa at the moment, and the next station down the line is Stirling. And Stirling Castle is a most marvellous tourist attraction; I had a great afternoon exploring it.

Well done to TubeGuru, Steevoooooo and trains 500 – all at the top of the class. They got both the station and the bonus correct. (Though it seems they each used different methods to reach their conclusions.)

Another station coming very soon – but where could it be?
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'K' is here...

Post by RobbieM »

Okay, here we go. I’m sure you’ll agree there’s a lot of splendid architecture to be found at the stations across our rail network. Each has its own character, and the intricate detail which has gone into creating these masterful edifices should be celebrated. Bear that in mind as you gaze in adoration at Station K.

Beautiful. Just stunning.

• Name Station K. May be relatively easy? Bonus may be tricker:

The mid-1960s were a bad time for the railways, with Dr Beeching and all that. However, it wasn’t all doom and gloom. A number of stations began operating around the same time. The ones I’m interested in were within a radius of roughly 30 miles from Station K. It turns out all these stations have closed again now, but anyway, for the bonus question:

• How were these stations collectively known? e.g. The Shrubbery Line, or The Twisted-and-Gnarled Route, or whatever. (You don’t need to name each individual station.)

PM those answers Robbie-wards! 😊

(And remember stations ‘E’ and ‘J’ are still live – answers to trains 500)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well, I've already worked out HOW I'm going to get to station K - I have no idea where it is though (yet).

It looks like a small community centre!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Re: Station 'K'

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 18:11 Well, I've already worked out HOW I'm going to get to station K.
Could you take the train?
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 21:19
tubeguru wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 18:11 Well, I've already worked out HOW I'm going to get to station K.
No need - I got it. Answers submitted, although your slightly ambiguous wording of the bonus means I'm not sure if I've got it exactly right.

Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 18 Apr 2021, 22:22
No need - I got it. Answers submitted, although your slightly ambiguous wording of the bonus means I'm not sure if I've got it exactly right.
I won't reveal publicly whether your bonus answer is correct or not, but I will say that at least one entrant has correctly guessed the bonus. So that's a relief for me that I didn't make it too hard.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

RobbieM wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 13:04
I won't reveal publicly whether your bonus answer is correct or not, but I will say that at least one entrant has correctly guessed the bonus. So that's a relief for me that I didn't make it too hard.
You could answer my private message :)

Member of sweet FA
RobbieM
All Zones

Post by RobbieM »

tubeguru wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 13:53
RobbieM wrote: 19 Apr 2021, 13:04
You could answer my private message :)
Sorry for the delay, lunch was calling. Will answer now. :D
trains 500
Zone 4

Post by trains 500 »

can u narrow down the bonus, there are several old railway lines and stations within a 30 miles radius of station K

Quizzes for Tube Nerds
RobbieM
All Zones

Station 'K' - Pre-hints

Post by RobbieM »

I will help - I was planning to give a 'pre-hint' later today, but I'll take an early lunch break and do it now.

So, a 'pre-hint' for the bonus. Just like Station D, you need to think 'outside the box'. What I've written is accurate, but could throw you off the scent. Maybe look in another direction?

(Oh, and if you want a pre-hint for the station itself, it's one that Geoff and Vicki went to... :D )

I'll give proper hints in the next few days!