National Rail All Lines Challenge

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
Starkey7
All Zones

Re: National Rail All Lines Challenge

Post by Starkey7 »

Do they still use tokens for single-track sections? I'd've thought that they'd use computers and GPS systems now.

RichieG stated that Pacers are used instead of HSTs. But is that really a problem? After all, are the trains crowded? And would the 125mph ability of the HSTs really be that useful on such a windy (ie having lots of twists and turns) line?
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

Starkey7 wrote:RichieG stated that Pacers are used instead of HSTs. But is that really a problem? After all, are the trains crowded? And would the 125mph ability of the HSTs really be that useful on such a windy (ie having lots of twists and turns) line?
What I was getting at wasn't capacity or speed, but straight through London trains - and when Virgin had the XC franchise there were rumours that they would do Barnstaple as well. It's just the fact that we had 150s and 153s and the occasional 159 on the Devon (and Cornwall) local routes, and when First took over from Wessex, they said that, for Barnstaple at least, there would be a regular through HST service to London but instead of that 'upgrade' we've been 'downgraded' to Pacer units. The twisty and turny aspect of the line isn't great with Pacers either with their wheelbase. I know that the Pacers were kind of thrust upon FGW without much say (not entirely sure why though). The Pacers are (from all accounts) getting busy on the Devon locals (Barnstaple to Exmouth to Paignton) and there is a slight issue with overcrowding but as I said, that's not the issue really. It was more of a rant than anything else that the middle went down instead of up!

(As it happens, I did theorise a plan with the Barnstaple line a while back, given that the basics of the structure for double-tracking is still there (just would need repair/upgrading) in most cases (there were parts that weren't double-tracked but did get the infrastructure for it) that they could redouble the line, but have it as two single track lines (looping/crossing at Eggesford and Crediton as now) one an Express line (with no intermediate stops except Exeter St Ds, Crediton, Eggessford, maybe Umberleigh and Barnstaple) and one a local line. Of course, it would never ever happen, let alone in a month of sundays, it'd be a century of them...!)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I have it on good authority that the Pacers are going north later this year with 150's and 158's coming in to replace them. Don't quote me on that - I'm just a humble railway employee.

As for tokens there are quite a few places which still use them. We've got them on the Cotswold line as you go up to Hereford for example. The Barnstaple branch itself uses several different types of signalling. From Cowley Bridge Junction to Crediton it is track-circuited, Then the system of working is No Signaller Token with Remote Crossing Loops, where there is a signalbox, but the driver obtains the token from a machine rather than from the signaller walking out with it as they did in the old days. The token is obtained by phoning the signaller at Crediton signalbox and obtaining a release. When the train gets to Eggesford the driver calls the signaller again and puts the token back.

For the Meldon Quarry branch the line is One Train Working where a staff is provided from Crediton. This means only one train can be on the single line at a time as there is only one staff and only one driver can be in possession of it at a time.

You will all be able to write an in-depth essay on the Branstaple branch at this rate.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

The seven remaining class 142 Pacers (the ones with bus style seats) are only on sub lease to FGW until the 30th June 2010 by which they will then return north to Northern. The similar (but FGW livery) class 143s will be staying at Exeter, as these are FGW owned.

Since the GOBLIN will finally be recieving its new class 172 Turbostar DMUs by that time (about time too, they were supposed to be in service in early 2009), it is expected that the current six class 150s currently on the GOBLIN will be transferred down to Exeter. Thus joining classmates 150121 and 150127 which were transferred to FGW (at Bristol) a couple of years back, can easily spot them they are still in Silverlink livery!

Once the class 172s for LO are delivered, a larger batch of class 172s for LM will be built/delivered during the later half of 2010 which will release a sizeable number of class 150s (from the Snow Hill lines). There is currently no set plans as to which operators these 150s will go as it seems every operator that operates diesel units wants them to combat overcrowding!!

Indeed, overcrowding is the very reason FGW operates two loco hauled trains, sub leases four ATW 150s and a 158 from SWT. The ATW 150s were hired so that FGW can release enough 158s to disband them to put each coach into another 158 (to make three coaches) and to operate them on Cardiff- Pompey trains.
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
RichieG
Zone 6
Location: Still getting lost between Aldgate and Aldgate East

Post by RichieG »

tubeguru wrote:. . . When the train gets to Eggesford the driver calls the signaller again and puts the token back.

For the Meldon Quarry branch the line is One Train Working where a staff is provided from Crediton. This means only one train can be on the single line at a time as there is only one staff and only one driver can be in possession of it at a time.

You will all be able to write an in-depth essay on the Branstaple branch at this rate.
I could add more if you wanted to... such as the fact that I'm fairly certain (although will no doubt be corrected!) there is also still a token section between Eggesford and Barnstaple becuase there is still the scope for a passing loop at Barnstaple (not at the platform and operated by a rather rusted ground frame. As far as I know this is still officially operatable but cheesecake knows when it was last used...

I'll stop now :)
Attempts: 2 (17h38m, 238 stations) (unknown, 200 stations); Completions: 0; GWR: 0; PBs: 0.
#####################################
The Richie G website: occasionally frequently updated.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Wow, all this from me making a casual joke about the political spectrum...
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

RichieG wrote:
tubeguru wrote:. . . When the train gets to Eggesford the driver calls the signaller again and puts the token back.

I could add more if you wanted to... such as the fact that I'm fairly certain (although will no doubt be corrected!) there is also still a token section between Eggesford and Barnstaple becuase there is still the scope for a passing loop at Barnstaple (not at the platform and operated by a rather rusted ground frame. As far as I know this is still officially operatable but cheesecake knows when it was last used...

I'll stop now :)
I did forget to mention that the NSTR continues from Crediton to Barnstaple. I was led to believe that it used to be electric token block from Eggesford to Barnstaple but they appear to have changed it according to my Western Region Sectional Appendix, which IS up to date!

In fact, I can quote from the local instructions for "Cowley Bridge Junction to Barnstaple" (Crediton to Eggesford TEP):

"Drivers of freight trains for Lapford will be handed a token engraved "Crediton - Lapford" by the signaller at Crediton [which goes against the principle of NSTR but there you go]. The driver must understand that his/her authority to enter the Single line extends only as far as the "Limit of Lapford token" board beyond Lapford North groundframe.

The signaller will remind drivers of this at Crediton. The train/locomotive must return to Crediton immediately work has been completed at Lapford sidings."

It goes on but the rest is irrelevant to this discussion.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Wanstead
Zone 4

Post by Wanstead »

jamesthegill wrote:Wow, all this from me making a casual joke about the political spectrum...
Did no-one else get it or did they just not acknowledge the fact? ;)
Full Network - Attempts: 1 | Completions: 1 (17h28m57s on 14/09/09)