London + NYC Challenge

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
joy54
Zone 5

Re: London + NYC Challenge

Post by joy54 »

I've been looking at it even closer and I reckon not only is it do-able but I reckon we could break the Guinness record for it, as the current record holders have followed the "Amateur New York Subway Riding Committee" rules saying you must only use a single fare on your attempt (meaning you cannot leave the system so must double back on lines etc.) but Guinness state like the London system you can exit the station and use public transport or run between stations. So the record at the moment of 24 hours 53 minutes and 3 seconds is held by a team of 6 all very knowledgable on the New York system (the ringleader actually worked for MTA once) but as they kept with the tradition of the ANYSRC rules of a single fare looking at the map that is alot of double backs, so instantly we'd have an upper hand.

Also it looks like if this was a CiN event it would work out perfectly as the NYRA (New York Racing Association) use the Aqueduct Racetrack for races from November to April which would be perfect for us.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Why not try and get in contact with someone who has done the NYC challenge before? You could team up - with their knowledge of the NYS and yours of the LU, you'd have all the bases covered.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

Yeh I was thinking that as well, I doubt the current record holders would come out as they have said they wouldn't repeat the challenge again, the NYC challenge doesn't seem as popular as the Tube Challenge, the past 2 attempts one a class C attempt (meaning you don't have to visit stations with the same name but are Geographically seperate) and the other a Guinness attempt- class B, both generated mass media attention in America and even around the world.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

It would certainly be a good idea to contact the guys who succesfully did the NYC record, and I already discussed this with joy54. If we were to do this for CiN then I think we should steal an idea from Rick Mansworth & Perry Vale that they used for their Asthma charity attempt. We should ask people to adopt a station for a minimum of £20, therefore this could raise 269 + 468 = 737 x £20 = £14,740. Phillip (Ping Pon) suggested we should also get companies to sponsor the lines at minimum £100, therefore 11 + 26 = 37 x £100 = £3700. so we would have a very large target of £18,440!!!
One day I shall return!
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

I have the contact details for the leader of the NYC Record from a press release and will contact him in due course. I also have found a site which lists the route for the Class C attempt record which gives a few insights like starting stations etc. I certainly think we'd need a few days in NYC to research and familarise ourselves but I reckon with the media attention shown on the previous 2 attempts this really could be massive.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I think it will only really be "massive" if you get some Americans doing it with you.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
mullardo
Zone 5

Post by mullardo »

What are we calling this challenge?
VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform VVaveform