The World Challenge

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
Martin
Zone 1

The World Challenge

Post by Martin »

As we know GWR only accepts London and New York as challenge worthy. While it is still an interesting experience to travel other networks (at least for some people ;-)) claiming to be the record holder of Wanne-Eickel or looking at a list of thousands of unconnected records might be considered a bit boring.

So my suggestion is to introduce a new challenge: Travel all stops of a public transport network of your choice in the shortest amount of time per approached stop. So the challenge is two-fold: Find the fastest network and travel it as quick as possible.

The current London record is 1105:03 minutes for 274 stops (not counting the starting point) -> 241.98 seconds per approached stop. The New York record is 1494:03 for 467 -> 191.96 seconds. New York wins.

We may have to define a minimum size – to avoid one line two stops “networksâ€
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

This sounds way to random for Guinness to have any interest whatsoever.
Not that I've ever travelled it but I hear that the Hong Kong metro is good, so perhaps that would be a contender?
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Surely any Japanese system is going to the most effiicient, ergo the "fastest" ... ?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Sounds like you're really looking at the densest networks (in terms of stations) rather than speed or punctuality. It would probably help to find one that only covers a city centre, if such a thing exists.

The DLR does rather well - current record is 176.62 seconds/station...
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."