Oslo - and an expansion to the challenge concept...

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
WCR
Zone 1

Oslo - and an expansion to the challenge concept...

Post by WCR »

I’m sure this hasn’t been done before - involves a favourite annual holiday destination of mine - Oslo.

The plan is to do the London Challenge, but transfer it to the Norwegian capital - and visit all 186 Underground AND Tram stations that make up the Oslo Transport System. I have already formulated a route to do this - which will be kept under wraps for the forseeable. Next stage is to approach some other parties to check that it hasn’t been attempted before (thereby setting a record straight off), whether it would be considered as a bona fide World Record attempt, and also to raise some funds for charity in the process. I’ll be creating a seperate section at: http://reiteoir.wordpress.com/ to chronicle the attempts as they develop.

Plus I need some other nutter to attempt it with!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I'll bet you 50p that Guinness won't even consider it as a record.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
WCR
Zone 1

Post by WCR »

Probably not - but the challenge is there!
Adham
Zone 4

Post by Adham »

You might get some recognition in Norway for doing it. I'd be up for being a cohort, providing that I don't have to speak the language.
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

GWR only acknowledge London and New York as 'Certificate worthy', and even then they don't put them in the book.

Someone did Paris in about 13 hours (good time!) a couple of years ago, got in touch with Guinness and they told him they weren't interested. Only the 'big two' were valid.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I can only concur with Geoff. I actually applied (not seriously contemplating doing it) to Guinness to do Paris and the response was:
Guinness World Records wrote:Dear Mr Wolgé,

Thank you for sending us the details of your recent record proposal for 'Travelling the Paris Metro system in shortest time'. We are afraid to say that we are unable to accept this as a Guinness World Record.

Unfortunately it is simply not physically possible for us to list separate records for travelling every metro railway system in the world, since there are literally hundreds. For this reason we are only able to consider such records for London and New York, which are the world's largest metro rail networks.

We realize that this will be disappointing to you. However, we have considered your proposal fully; in the context of the specific subject area and that of records as a whole, and our decision is final in this matter.

Once again thank you for your interest in Guinness World Records.

Yours sincerely,

Amanda Sprague
Records Management Team
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)