Paris Metro anyone?

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Bank/Monument and Waterloo are neck pains. On the other hand, Oxford Circus is rather simple: to get from the Central to the Bakerloo/Victoria, or vice versa, simply do the following:

If you're coming from the Central line, then stand at the western end of the train (ie the front if you're going westbound and the back if you're going eastbound). Get off and follow the signs.

If you're coming from the northbound Bakerloo or Victoria lines, then stand at the back of the train. Then follow the passage at that end of the platform, go down the stairs and turn left at the bottom.

If you're coming from the southbound Bakerloo or Victoria lines, then stand at the front of the train. Then follow the passage at the end of the platform, go down the stairs and turn left at the bottom.

And why not bring a compass? It'll prove invaluable.
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

Agreed! Terrible they are!

Amazingly, I've managed to avoid interchanges at all of the worst, in my opinion, in my Paddytoon Fixed Start plan! :shock: . Quite a few double-backs though (on the city branch of the Northern and the middle of the Central line for two examples), so it needs tweaking.

EDIT: Thanks for that advice there on Oxford Circus!
Unofficial Z1 challenge, 15th September 2006, 1400 start - Result? 3h29m34s. Disgusting! I want a re-run!
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Thanks for the advice.
tangy
Site Administrator

Post by tangy »

I am surprised no one has mentioned Euston, so may parrellel passegeways, I often see bewildered tourists not knowing which way it is for what line!

Fortanately I am a regular user of Euston, so much so, I run between lines without even thinking now...
Adjudicator of the Alternative Challenges and webmaster of the Tube Challenge "Top Times" website at www.explorerticket.co.uk/tubechallenge

This is a Central line train to "Woodford via Hainault"- sadly, not no more!

Tangy.
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

KXSP for me, along with Paddytoon for the most regular changes on my bashes. Victoria comes in third, Liverpool Street and London Bridge tieing for third.

For me to get on/off a Tube at Euston is rather rare! I've done it less than 5 times in 3 years.
Unofficial Z1 challenge, 15th September 2006, 1400 start - Result? 3h29m34s. Disgusting! I want a re-run!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I'd have to say that Green Park and Waterloo are my personal nemeses. Even before the Jubilee line extension was built, I always got lost at Waterloo...

I use Euston quite a lot myself, and don't have too much trouble. The only problem is the number of hapless tourists stopping at the bottom of the escalator wondering where to go. City or Bank branch? And is it northbound to Kings Cross or southbound?
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

Starkey7 wrote:I'd have to say that Green Park and Waterloo are my personal nemeses. Even before the Jubilee line extension was built, I always got lost at Waterloo...
What about Green Park annoys you? I may be able to throw a few tips out. I used to go to school at Pimlico so 7 years of travel meant I have about 10 routes to go to and from school and Green Park features in a lot of them.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

It has a long corridor. :(
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Very long :(

Seems to get longer each time I go down it :(
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

And my legs aren't getting any younger. :(
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

Is this between Piccadilly and Victoria to Jubilee or Victoria to Piccadilly vice versa? Because it's actually quicker if your connecting from Piccadilly to Victoria or vice versa to run up the escalator and then down again. Approximate time a minute give or take, depends if your good at running. I'm not very. My accomplice did it in about 30-40 seconds. Steamed ahead.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Are you quite sure? Somebody told me to follow the sign to the lift down to the Piccadilly line? Then again, what do I know? Next time I'll have a butcher's at the escalator.
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

Very sure, I've made connections there for years. it really is quicker to do the escalators. Give it a try once and if I'm wrong then I will class my knowledge as faulty but I'm sure it's not. Just make sure you get the carriage nearest to the escalators.
Zone 2

Post by 43019 »

Russell Square is a pain for leaving out of it...I once did the stairs up, not knowing about the lifts. Suffice to say when I found them after I was annoyed.

Woolwich foot tunnel is bad mind for stairs...
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Have you climed the monument?

Care to guess the amount of steps??