New York Challenge

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
regoarrarr
Zone 1

Post by regoarrarr »

So I guess the real question is how does Guinness view things? There is already (supposedly) a record for the NYC subway - so how (wiith what station list) was that accomplished?
regoarrarr
Zone 1

Post by regoarrarr »

Looks like a group of 6 folks just broke the Guinness record - check out http://www.rapidtransitchallenge.com
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

It looks like Geoff is going to have to get out there and claim the record for the UK then? :) Thats if Guinness verify this record attempt, I see that the witness statements just have the name and signature. I'm sure that for the London Underground record the witness statement must include a contact phone number or e-mail address in order that Guinness can contact the witness to verify the attempt?
One day I shall return!
boylemj
Zone 1

from one of the NYC Record Holders

Post by boylemj »

Hello all, this is my first post to this forum and I have enjoyed reading about the active Tube Challenge circuit in London. I was one of the six riders who set the new NYC Guinness record last month….pending certification of course. I am going to attempt to respond to some of the messages posted about the NYC Challenge, but I’m sure I won’t get to them all, and I am happy to engage in further discussion.

There are 468 stations in the system and 424 station complexes. We asked Guinness which list we needed to abide by and the answer was all 468. We requested and received an official list of the 468 from the MTA and this is posted on our website (http://www.rapidtransitchallenge.com/challenge.htm).

Someone mentioned that “doubling back is often impossible without leaving the station. Many stations are completely separate depending on direction.â€
NYC Subway Record Holder (pending certification)
24 hours, 54 minutes, 3 seconds
RapidTransitChallenge.com
londongirl
Zone 3

Re: from one of the NYC Record Holders

Post by londongirl »

[quote="boylemj"]Someone mentioned that “doubling back is often impossible without leaving the station. Many stations are completely separate depending on direction.â€
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Re: from one of the NYC Record Holders

Post by Nutteronabus »

boylemj wrote:I was one of the six riders who set the new NYC Guinness record last month
Hats off to you, sir! I was in New York 2 months ago and despite falling in love with the city, I couldn't have been happier once I never had to use that bloody subway again.

Sentiment that drove me to writing this.
jbom1

Re: New York Challenge

Post by jbom1 »

The short film New Lots is available for free download from

http://www.very-appealing.com/film/shorts/NewLots/

and is roughly speaking an American counterpart of the two British Tube Challenge documentaries. I found it mildly entertaining, though their time (around 30 hours) was a very long way outside the record and the full extent of their log keeping appeared to be marking off stations on a map with a highlighter pen. They wisely brought along a spare pen.