New York Challenge

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Once upon a time ...

Regoarrarr - Look at my avatar!
regoarrarr
Zone 1

Post by regoarrarr »

Right - I saw your avatar. But I just didn't know if it actually happened or not. I wish you luck!
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

And me. Good luck. :)
regoarrarr
Zone 1

Post by regoarrarr »

Actually, (and this may be the reason it didn't happen), it sounds like the World Trade Center station is closed (ever since 9/11/2001) and so a Guinness record might not be possible until it reopens?
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

closed station = pass through allowed?
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

In the case of WTC there may be logistical difficulties with that:

1. they may have demolished the station and not rebuilt the tracks through it
2. is it me, or was it a terminus?
3. ignore me if the above is rubbish
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

well if they've demolished the station surely that means you don't have to do it? when mornington crescent was closed all those years, you didn't even have to pass through it i don't think - it counted as one less station on the map.
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

The World Trade Center station is open and the terminus for the E-trains. However Cortland St is temporariliy closed and is a pass-through (this is the one actually going under the ground zero area). So, there shouldn't be any problems from this.

It is however an interesting question whether the "traditional" NY rules (one token - not allowed to leave the system during the attempt) would apply or if Guinness would specify something similar to the London Underground rules (that are much more interesting - I think). I guess the way to find out is to ask Guinness, i.e. applying for a record attempt and see their response. Have you done that yet, Geoff?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
regoarrarr
Zone 1

Post by regoarrarr »

That is correct. I meant the Cortlandt St. station (that carries the 1, 2 and 3 lines).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cortlandt_ ... ue_Line%29

I have to say it's a bit frustrating trying to come up with an "official" list of stations. The MTA claims 468 stations

http://mta.info//nyct/facts/ffsubway.htm

But I only can come up with 436. Supposedly someone called up the MTA asking for a list of stations and were told "look at a map" :-)
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

On the map it seems that only Cortland St for 1-trains is closed, while Cortland St for 2-3-trains is open.

Seems like there is a Shepherd's Bush/Paddington/Hammersmith/Edgware Road issue here as well!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

The urge to do this for me, is not actually to claim a record, but just so that I can say "Have done both London AND New York".

It just seems silly not to have a go at doing doing it whilst I am on the same continent! i wouldn't be wanting to do it if I was in London for example.

no - i haven't been in touch with Guinness about it. it's interesting what you say about the 'one token' rules, because the the current record (25 hours and something...) was certainly not done by staying within the sytem all the time.

if/when I do it, i'll certainly be getting out at one line, and walking down the street to another - I practiced a couple of these when I was up there back in October with Paul (PFW) this year.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

There is a list of stations here http://www.mentovai.com/tmp/nycta-stations-200209.txt which comes to the 468 station figure quoted by the MTA. It appears that the logic is for interchanges, each line is counted as a seperate station. The exception is when two lines share the same alignment, in which case the stations are only counted once.

So for example Times Square is counted 4 times for the Red 123, Yellow NQRW, Purple 7 and Grey S.
regoarrarr
Zone 1

Post by regoarrarr »

very interesting. Is there a way that Guinness can be contacted to get an "official" ruling, similar to the rules listed on this site for the London version?

As for the "one token" rule, from

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subway_Challenge

It appears that the "one token" version is separate from the version that Guinness certifies. In the Guinness version, you can walk / run from the end of one line to the other. Of course, the key to that is timing - so you don't have to walk through Spanish Harlem at 3 a.m. :)
regoarrarr
Zone 1

Post by regoarrarr »

To reply to myself...

It appears that whether there are 468 stations or something like 424 would have to have analogous situations on the London Underground.

Forgive me if I'm asking silly questions - I'm not from London nor even from New York, and have never ridden either system :) So what is not clear to me may be crystal clear to someone with inside knowledge.

From the list, Consider Times Square
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Times_Squa ... _Subway%29

On the list of 468 posted upthread, it has 4 "stations", one each to service the S Shuttle, the 1-2-3 trains, the 7 train and the N-Q-R-W trains. From the wikipedia article above, the relative depths of these stations are 20 feet, 40 feet, 60 feet and 50 feet below ground. So it seems like they are at the same physical location (2-dimensionally) but just at different depths and (obviously) different rail lines.

It would seem to the untrained eye that a similar situation on the Tube would be Baker Street. It too appears to have several different lines at different depths, but (as far as I can tell) is only counted as one station of the 275.

Does any of that make sense?
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Yes, its just that the americans appear to have a different idea of what a station is to us.

Whereas we would say, for example, Embankment is one station, they would have Embankment District line station, Embankment Bakerloo, and Embankment Northern.

God knows how they'd do Euston, with Euston Northern Charing Cross Branch station, Euston Northern Line City Branch Northbound and Victoria Line Southbound station, and Euston Northern Line City Branch Southbound and Victoria Line Northbound station. (I think I've got the combinations right, there).

I have heard of people referring to the 'Deep Level' sections of stations as different stations to the 'Sub-surface' stations in London, although this is wrong.