National Rail challenge?

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
zeibura
Zone 5

National Rail challenge?

Post by zeibura »

anyone thought about doing a challenge visiting every National Rail station within zones 1 and 6? where you can use london underground to get between stations obviously. would it be possible?
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
standclearofthedoors
Zone 4

Post by standclearofthedoors »

I was thinking of doing all LU & NR stations 1-3 & I doubt the success chances of that. A lot of services are too infrequent. Maybe everything South of the river would be a decent challenge, as services are generally more frequent there.
<b>All Good Things Must Come To an End, & so must this post...</b>
What's Your Favourite Crustacean? Mine's Charing.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I think I suggested the whole NR system on the TfL map a few months ago but it would take aaages.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

I reckon that even 48 hours might not be enough. There are two stations only open in the peaks, two more lines with only a hourly frequency and at least 20 lines with only a half hourly frequency.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

what's the other hourly frequency you speak of? i know chelsfield and knockholt only get one an hour, and the sudbury's only open at peak times (yes, that would be a bastard).

i didn't mean all LUL AND NR though, just the NR. when you consider how few there are north of the river it doesn't seem toooo bad...
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The other hourly frequency service is the Epsom Downs line. Actually Sudbury Hill Harrow is now open all day, the two peak-only stations are Sudbury & Harrow Road and Angel Road.

The other problem with National Rail is that even lines with good services in the day get a crap service in the evening while LU lines keep up a good frequency right up until closedown.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

This would, indeed, be far too much for one day.

I have a novel alternative though: Zone 1 National Rail. Yes, you'd have to arrive or depart using NR from every terminus in Zone 1, plus the Thameslink "thru"-line. Some of them are easy, some of them involve going non-stop to Harrow-On-The-Hill or Wembley...
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

St Pancras might be a problem - first stop Luton. I guess you would have to finish there and stop the clock when the doors close. If you count Waterloo International as a seperate stations then you're really stuffed!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Hmm, I overlooked St. Pancras being separate to King's Cross.

Going by the rules, the clock would only stop when you get to Luton - I'd be tempted to start there.

I don't think Waterloo International need be separate from Waterloo, though - that would be a bit extreme.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

No, even Waterloo International would be okay. Just get on a service that stops at Ashford. Although it'll only stop there "to pick up", they won't notice if you nip off there...
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

Has anybody tried to work out how long a full National Rail challenge would take (ie, all NR stations in UK)?

I guess it could be a number of weeks, but how many?
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

There are some services on National Rail that are ONCE A WEEK- Stockport to Stalybridge with Denton and Redditch South having only this service. I'd leave at least 3 weeks.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

It has been done! From the 1994 Guinness Book.

Alan M Witton of Chorlton, Manchester visited every open British Rail station (2362) in a continuous tour for charity of 26,703 km (16,593 miles) in 452 hr 26.5min from 13 Jul - 28 Aug 1980.

Colin M Mulvany and Seth N Vafiadis of west London visited every open British Rail station (2378) embracing also the Tyne & Wear, Glasgow and London underground systems (333 stations) for charity in 31 days 5hr 8min 58sec. THey travelled over 24,989 km (15,528 miles) to average 61.2 km/h (38.1 mph) from 4 Jun - 5 Jul 1984.

I am slightly confused about the time in the first record. 452 hours is about 19 days which is not consistent with the dates given.
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

greatkingrat wrote:Colin M Mulvany and Seth N Vafiadis of west London
Any relation to Colm Mulvaney I wonder?

(oh, and TC, you might want to fix your <a name="..."> tags... they shouldn't include the # symbol)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Must be the same guy, but they misspelt his name.

It should be Colm.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA