Lands End to John O'Groats

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Re: Lands End to John O'Groats

Post by A Challenge »

tufnellpark wrote:
A Challenge wrote:What do you mean by that? Is it local busses only and not long distance busses that are coaches (megabus and National Express etc.) or what?
It is buses only, some are local but some are express. Buses exclude National Express and Megabus but would include the Stagecoach X5, although if you're in Milton Keynes heading between Lands End and John O'Groats, you are lost.
Thanks. I would rather do this by train (routes hint: Caledonian Sleeper to Inverness!)
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000
tufnellpark
Zone 3

Post by tufnellpark »

With just a few days to go, this is becoming a major undertaking. Here are some unlikely things that I have had to include in the many hours of planning:

1 Ensuring my week's worth of luggage, which I will be carrying, isn't too heavy. A wheelie suitcase isn't going to work, if I am running for a bus.
2 Dressing for the weather. It's going to be hot in Lands End, raining and cold in John O'Groats. And I must remember to sit on the north side of the bus to avoid overheating.
3 Accommodation booked but I have to definitely make it, otherwise I'll be stuck with no room. If a bus is delayed/cancelled that could mean jumping on a train to reach my destination. Mrs B understandably refused to spend a week, driving a camper van from one end of the country to the other.
4 Many bus stations have poor signage, so I have worked out where I arrive and exactly where I need to depart from. In some towns there are no bus stations, so I will have to walk for a few minutes to catch my next bus, using Google Maps.
5 Finding the best value bus fares using day tickets and areas of validity. What a minefield!
6 Same for rail fares. Lewes to Penzance is £117.60. But Brighton to Plymouth via Reading plus a Ride Cornwall day ticket, makes it £39.00 and includes the bus to Lands End. That took a while to work out but saves me £80.
7 Bus times are constantly changing. I will check the latest timetables the day before I leave. I have already spotted First completely changing a timetable from 15th August, which has added an hour to my journey.

I'm looking forward to it but spending 60 hours over 4 days on buses is going to be tiring. My longest day is 18 hours, which is much the same as a full network challenge. I reckon this is going to be like doing four tube challenges in a row. Wish me luck!
London 16h:14m:10s Paris 13:23:33 Z1 02:57:53 Metrolink 05:53:25 Lands End to John O'Groats by bus 3d:8h:17m All the Stations 35d:10h:10m
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

doing this over the bank holiday? seems weird I guess it means no national express is allowed.good luck tangy will be after you with guns ablazing
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

How did it go?
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

He only started today. I guess he is probably somewhere in the Bristol area at the moment.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
Iain
All Zones

Post by Iain »

Ah ok - was going by Andi's Bank Holiday comment
Full Network: Three completions, Best time: 17:18:18 - thanks Glen, Andrew and Rhys!
Former DLR 45 station record holder (with Glen, Andi and Stevo) - 2h:08m:57s
All lines: 46:11 (6th equal)
Zone One 2:52:51 (thanks Glen)
michael_churchill
Zone 6

Post by michael_churchill »

I've done no research but it seems odd to me that both Clive's route and the one he's trying to beat pass through Newcastle and head up the east coast. I guess it's because of the bus service, but I would have thought a route closer to Cumbria and central Scotland would be shorter.
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

The west coast route is fairly sparsely populated with Carlisle is the only large town between Preston and Glasgow, so there probably isn't much of a bus service going that way.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
The Orange One
All Zones

Post by The Orange One »

This seems to be a thing that people are doing now. I find myself curious about the theory and will be timetabling, although I will probably never actually do it. For one thing, I like a bed every night.

Oddly, this challenge is from not-quite-the-southernmost point to not-quite-the-northernmost-point, but such is the power of hype. Besides, Dunnet Head is about 3 miles from the nearest bus stop.

Side note and proposal: Extremities challenge - Lizard Point, Dunnet Head, Ardnamurchan Lighthouse and Ness Point using public transport. Given Ardnamurchan Lighthouse is over 6 miles walk from the nearest bus stop (and also the nearest shop), not to mention Dunnet Head as before, I'd say this was only for the seasoned traveller/challenger/mental patient.
All London buses: 23 hours 25 minutes (with Adham, David, Josh and Tangy)
Holds some alternative challenge records. Not sure which ones.
20½ Random 15 challenges: 01:58:48 best
That guy who runs those Twitter polls about tube stations and London Boroughs.
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

Although they're not-quite-the-southernmost point and not-quite-the-northernmost point, they are the two points on the mainland which are furthest apart. (Lizard Point-Dunnet Head is 833 miles, Lands End to John O'Groats is 837 miles).
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
RJSRdg
All Zones

Post by RJSRdg »

greatkingrat wrote:The west coast route is fairly sparsely populated with Carlisle is the only large town between Preston and Glasgow, so there probably isn't much of a bus service going that way.
Depends on your definition of large I suppose. Lancaster and Carnforth aren't exactly hamlets..

The route I found went up the east coast as well though.
272 stations in 18:30:32
The only person to have used a boat in a Random 15 Challenge!
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

greatkingrat wrote:He only started today. I guess he is probably somewhere in the Bristol area at the moment.
I don't suppose he's passing a town called Portishead at all, is he?
Holder of the slowest recorded 274 attempt: 4 months, 1 day, 9 hours, 17 minutes, 32 seconds.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

jamesthegill wrote:
greatkingrat wrote:He only started today. I guess he is probably somewhere in the Bristol area at the moment.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

just thought I be up there Sunday which is the day he is supposed to finish?
Tube Geek
The Twilight Zone

Post by Tube Geek »

jamesthegill wrote:
Shut up
Personal Best - 264 Stations in 19 hours 37 minutes.

COYR