Birmingham April 2nd

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Re: Birmingham April 2nd

Post by tubeguru »

So you got an even number of points, plus extra sets of even-numbered points and yet ended up with an odd-numbered score?
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

tubeguru wrote:So you got an even number of points, plus extra sets of even-numbered points and yet ended up with an odd-numbered score?
Sorry was that not clear Bloxwich North was worth 3 points 1 for actually visiting and an extra 2 for being right at the edge of zone 5 or whatever it was.Other bonus stations were Adderley Park,Bordesley,Earlswood my suggestion of a run between Adderley park and Bordesley was vetoed straight away dam!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:
tubeguru wrote:So you got an even number of points, plus extra sets of even-numbered points and yet ended up with an odd-numbered score?
Sorry was that not clear Bloxwich North was worth 3 points 1 for actually visiting and an extra 2 for being right at the edge of zone 5 or whatever it was.Other bonus stations were Adderley Park,Bordesley,Earlswood my suggestion of a run between Adderley park and Bordesley was vetoed straight away dam!
Yes, that's much clearer ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

You got 1 point for each station visited, except for Bordesley and Adderley Park (2pts), Bloxwich North (3pts) and Earlswood (4pts).

Our route was New Street - Tipton - Smethwick GB - Stourbridge Junction - Dorridge - Acocks Green - run to Spring Road - Wythall - Moor Street - run to New Street - Sutton Coldfield - Northfield - New Street.

This was a total of 43 stations, including Bordesley, so 44 points in all.
Soon to be yet another forum train driver
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Well seeing as i didnt have any route i might next year though do on my own this challenge i enjoyed it if not the walk to the meal afterwards 2 bloody miles to a pizza express very badly organised that was!I was very surprised about the lack of pace by Neilandrewhall from new street to moor street railway stations our only run i beat the rail guys by over 2 mins and i wasnt even trying.
Mitchell&BrownLook
Zone 4

Post by Mitchell&BrownLook »

Meself, GKR and Adham teamed up for this and managed to win, with Alasdair also competing and finishing 3rd. We possibly could have had time to visit Earlswood too, however as non of us knew the station we were unsure if we could make the return train without being stranded for an hour - especially as the progress reports from CCLDB weren't coming through. As it turned out the return train was very slightly late, but we still may not have made it and we will therefore never know if we could have gained four extra points.

While Adham was annoyed with himself for not taking the gamble we did ride our luck later at Northfield where our connection was exceedingly tight as our outbound train was two minutes late - we were fortunate to have a near perfect door position, an empty cross station tunnel and then just enough time to fling ourselves through the doors - I was last on board and took a flying leap into the train as the warning sound played and the doors closed! This was made all the funnier as Adham had reached the top of the stairs from the tunnel and could not see how to reach the platform - the train was clearly to the right of the staircase but an 8 foot set of railings blocked our path, and for perhaps 5 seconds the small gate to the side was not obvious however we all spotted it together before piling through it and onto the departing train.

I believe that a fun day was had by all, however completing the challenge with like-minded tube challengers made it all the more memorable - thanks for the great memories!