Possible trip to Berlin next year to challenge U-Bahn

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
perkyperky
Zone 6

Re: Possible trip to Berlin next year to challenge U-Bahn

Post by perkyperky »

Yes, I've done Paris Metro, and Berlin, Brussels and Vienna. All take less time than London.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

I'm not sure Paris would necessarily be cheaper than Berlin. I've just booked myself a flight out there for the middle of March and it came in at just under £50 return, including booking fees etc.,

If my memory serves me correctly, Paris would be a minimum of £58 return if we took the Eurostar, no?

As well as that, Berlin is still having a bit of a hangover price-wise from the days of the old-East, so accommodation isn't anywhere near as pricey as it can be in the usual Western capitals.
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

Spot on. Usually cheaper to get to Berlin, and hotels in Berlin can be a fair bit cheaper than Paris. And it's a better city!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I am also rather interested in this, although my German knowledge has taken a nose-dive recently.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

I was chatting about this with Soup Dragon at the last R15 event and it does seem that, given the fact it's actually a remarkably cheap weekend away, there's some interest in this.

Something Soup Dragon and I were discussing was potential challenges. Clearly there's the scope for a Full Network Challenge as well as an R15.

I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas as to what might be possible. A 'Zone A Challenge' perhaps?

You can find the network map here (PDF file)

Another thought I had was perhaps doing something with the tram network.

You can find the tram map here (PDF again). Perhaps something with the MetroTram lines?
Neilandrewhall
Zone 1

Post by Neilandrewhall »

I have played about with the Paris and Berlin Metro ( U-Bahn). But didn't do anything official with it, This was last summer time Its a very good network to play about with and if you no the tricks in the network, then its good to do :)
If you need any advice come to me :) Neil