Vancouver, Canada

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
LastGrape
Zone 1

Vancouver, Canada

Post by LastGrape »

The Canada "Sky Train" now has a wooping three lines! I'm getting a little bored being a student here so thinking I should set a record for it. In 2014 it will have another line, and maybe one more in 2020, but I'll be gone by then.
  • It's called the Sky Train because most of the first 2 lines are elevated like the DLR, but the 3rd line is mainly underground.
  • My annual travel card still requires $2.50 to Eastbound on the Airport branch, so I'll probably skip those 3 stations. Although maybe it adds more interest/planning and I should redo the challenge with them.
  • I haven't yet looked up times or decided on a route other than staring at the map.
More info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SkyTrain_(Vancouver)

I thought I might also do something with the buses, like go on every route for at least 3 stops. Then I saw there were 266, which only goes down to about 200 that travel through the large zone 1 area. It's probably impossible without time for a nap while you wait for the buses to start again.
I might try going on every section of the bus network (within Zone 1) in one day, and maybe first time without much planning to get an estimated time. This would be like a travelling salesman problem.
Root
All Zones

Re: Vancouver, Canada

Post by Root »

LastGrape wrote:My annual travel card still requires $2.50 to Eastbound on the Airport branch, so I'll probably skip those 3 stations. Although maybe it adds more interest/planning and I should redo the challenge with them.
To not visit those stations because it costs more would be like saying "let's just do zones one to six" on the London Underground - hardly a FULL network challenge! I think you should definitely visit them. $2.50 doesn't sound like a lot anyway.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Root wrote:
LastGrape wrote:My annual travel card still requires $2.50 to Eastbound on the Airport branch, so I'll probably skip those 3 stations. Although maybe it adds more interest/planning and I should redo the challenge with them.
To not visit those stations because it costs more would be like saying "let's just do zones one to six" on the London Underground - hardly a FULL network challenge! I think you should definitely visit them. $2.50 doesn't sound like a lot anyway.
£1.62 on todays Travelex exchange rate to be exact. That's cheaper than a pint in the Horse & Groom.
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

An interesting and rather spooky fact, if you look at the skytrain map left to right and compare to the Tube Map;
Airport, Richmond, Royal Oak, Westminster and King George all appear in the same order
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

That is truely very interesting... :)
LastGrape
Zone 1

Post by LastGrape »

Soup Dragon wrote:An interesting and rather spooky fact, if you look at the skytrain map left to right and compare to the Tube Map;
Airport, Richmond, Royal Oak, Westminster and King George all appear in the same order
Nicely spotted. But I don't think Richmond is very nice, and Surrey (East of Richmond in Vancouver) is where all the gangs are.