Subway Challenge Record Broken

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
joy54
Zone 5

Subway Challenge Record Broken

Post by joy54 »

Pair breaks subway world record; travel citywide in less than a day
http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/200 ... vel_c.html

They were not to be derailed.

After 22 hours and 51 minutes, 468 train stations, 25 subway lines and a single potty break, two Manhattan marathon runners Friday hit the finish line of another endurance test, spanning the entire city subway system in record time.

"I'm gonna go to the bathroom," Chris Solarz quipped, as he and Matt Ferrisi reached the end of the L line - and their underground odyssey - at the Canarsie/Rockaway Parkway station in Brooklyn.

The longtime friends, who work at a Manhattan investment firm, bested the previous mark of 24 hours and 54 minutes, but must now wait to be certified as Guinness world record holders.

The two had trained early for the four-borough ride by mapping out potential routes and putting in four weeks of trial runs. But as any straphanger can attest, the Metropolitan Transportation Authority isn't always going your way.
Among the holdups, they said, were a suspicious package at Union Square and a long 2 a.m. delay on the G line at the Long Island City Court Square station.

"We went from having perfectly synchronized the trains to missing every one," said Ferrisi, 28.

Under Guinness rules, the two pals were required to stick to local trains and stop at every station in the system. Solarz snapped a picture at each stop, while Ferrisi had witnesses sign a document stating they had arrived.

And they weren't unfamilar to some of the subway riders they encountered along their journey, which started at the Far Rockaway-Mott Ave. station in Queens.

"Everyone knew us on the train," Solarz, 30, said. "We're like local heroes now."

The previous record was held by six former Manhattan high school classmates who set the standard in 2006.

"Everyone thought we were crazy, but we made it," Solarz said, crediting three cups of coffee for keeping him awake.

The new subway kings weren't about to share their formula for crisscrossing the subway system in record time.

"The route is like our secret sauce," Solzarz said. "We're keeping it to ourselves."
palkanetoijala31

Re: Subway Challenge Record Broken

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

WOW WELL DONE I dont think that get beaten for a while.
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Andi and I should team up for this one.
palkanetoijala31

Got a route then mr starkey.?
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

A very relevant question is what rules they were under. The "traditional" New York Subway rules mandates that you can't leave the system during your attempt (you have to use 1 token for the whole ride), however, reading between the lines I get the impression that they may have used rules similar to the rules set forth for the LU... Then it makes sense that they could "break" the record with such a margin and the fact that they're marathon runners as well - not very useful under the "traditional" rules.

Does anyone know?

Does anyone have access to Guinness rules for the New York Subway?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

I understand that the rules do indeed allow exit from the system, see

http://www.rapidtransitchallenge.com/rules.htm

a relevant extract being

"Transfers between subway lines must be made by scheduled public transport or on foot. The use of private motor vehicles, taxis or any other form of privately arranged transport (bicycles, skateboards, etc.) is not allowed."
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

That certainly explains the very good time. With such rules even NY is an interesting system. With the single token rule, lots of boring out and back travel would occur.

Well done, Chris and Matt! (if you ever read this...)
palkanetoijala31

I wonder if Mr Hakan is thinking of giving this a go maybe.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

In theory I could be interested in doing New York. However, there are several factors weighing against it. It's too far away, i.e. too much time and money would be spent. Secondly, I don't find the NY subway the least charming or appealing (as opposed to the LU). Thirdly, I wouldn't feel quite as safe in NY as I do in London.

Paris Metro, though, would be great doing - obviously a lot quicker than LU - but having an incredible amount of possible short runs between stations, making route planning even more challenging than in London. Unfortunately, Guinness does not recognise a Paris Metro Record. (Yes, I asked them a couple of years ago...)
mps247
Zone 4

Post by mps247 »

hwolge wrote:Paris Metro, though, would be great doing - obviously a lot quicker than LU - but having an incredible amount of possible short runs between stations, making route planning even more challenging than in London. Unfortunately, Guinness does not recognise a Paris Metro Record. (Yes, I asked them a couple of years ago...)
I wonder why that is. I mean, I can't think of a reason as to why traversing the Paris Metro in the quickest possible time would not be worthy of a GWR. Did they give you a reason Hakan?

It also makes me wonder how many other mass transit systems are excluded from GWR attempts (I'm sure most of you have seen this map before). Perhaps an easier question to answer would be, how many of these systems are there GWRs for. Does anybody have any idea?
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I think that Guinness previously allowed London, New York, Paris & Moscow.
But in recent years Paris & Moscow have been dropped. No ideas why though.
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

This is the response I got from Guinness on Jan 15, 2007:
Guinness wrote:Dear Mr Wolgé,

Thank you for sending us the details of your recent record proposal for 'Travelling the Paris Metro system in shortest time'. We are afraid to say that we are unable to accept this as a Guinness World Record.

Unfortunately it is simply not physically possible for us to list separate records for travelling every metro railway system in the world, since there are literally hundreds. For this reason we are only able to consider such records for London and New York, which are the world's largest metro rail networks.

We realize that this will be disappointing to you. However, we have considered your proposal fully; in the context of the specific subject area and that of records as a whole, and our decision is final in this matter. Once again thank you for your interest in Guinness World Records.

Yours sincerely,
Amanda Sprague
Records Management Team