Five Cities Tube Challenge

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
perkyperky
Zone 6

Five Cities Tube Challenge

Post by perkyperky »

I've posted about this before in Berlin U Bahn Challenge. We're doing London Underground, Paris and Brussels Metro, and Berlin and Vienna U Bahns, all in the space of five days, from 27th to 31st October. Please see http://www.justgiving.com/fivecitiestube for details; I think it says all that needs to be said. Please sponsor us if you possibly can. If you want to know anything about it, please PM me.
palkanetoijala31

Re: Five Cities Tube Challenge

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

WOW :!: that is some challenge all the best for it.
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

Yes, we're all set. Bit nervous about it, but all ready to go. Any donations from you lovely lot?
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

Thanks for the offer sir. If we need anything I'll let you know. The total is now 883 stations with Wood lane and a two station extension having opened in Paris.
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

We're back now. What a week that was! We managed 882 out of our target of 883 stations. Only one we missed was Kensington (Olympia). As were coming up from Richmond the driver announced a one under at Acton Town, no District between Turnham Green and Ealing Broadway, which was, of course, our next leg. Quick change of route and we managed to complete(bar one). When we got to Ealing much later, it was open again. All other networks completed. And it has got to be said, all the other networks are a lot more passenger friendly than ours. A great week, but VERY tiring.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Very well done indeed. What a shame that you had to miss one station. Have you added together the total time taken for all 5 networks, and what was the individual time for the 269 stations visited in London?
One day I shall return!
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

Not yet, information to follow. Still catching up on sleep!
perkyperky
Zone 6

Post by perkyperky »

Okay.
London 18hrs 33mins. 17hrs 50mins on Monday to do 263 stations
43mins on Friday evening to do 6 stations

Paris 15hrs 19mins 13hrs 55 mins on Tuesday to do 276 stations
1hr 24mins on Wednesday AM to do 24 stations

Brussels 2hrs 26mins to do 59 stations on Wednesday

Berlin 9hrs 37mins 45mins on Wednesday evening to to 26 stations
8hrs 42mins on Thursday to do 144 stations

Vienna 3hrs 45mins to do 84 stations on Friday.

I think that's right.
A grand total of 48hrs 57mins. Berlin would have been quicker but for two planned line closures on U1 and U2. Also had to walk to two Berlin stations with planned closures. By my reckoning thats one station every 3mins and 19seconds. And that's not including stations we passed through more than once or any S Bahn or Tram stations or Bus stops. Any more info, please ask or PM.