Basel BVB Tram Challenge

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
Starkey7
All Zones

Re: Basel BVB Tram Challenge

Post by Starkey7 »

Unfortunately not, but she is gagging to do the Bus Challenge there.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

Starkey you need to get yourself over to Prague and do the tram challenge here! THAT would be a proper challenge!

http://www.dpp.cz/download-file/3136/Me ... ptimal.pdf
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají
rhubarbrhubarb
Zone 3

Post by rhubarbrhubarb »

Budapest has a tramway system that would also present a good challenge, I think. There's also a metro system, but I think it's only three lines.

Anecdote: I was in Budapest one winter quite a few years ago. Snow had been forecast - so what should emerge on to the tramway system that evening but the fleet of snowbrooms, taking up positions at strategic points on the network, ready to clear the expected overnight heavy snow. To see what looked like rather large wooden garden sheds, with a large rotating brush on each end, trundling through the city streets was rather fun! And yes - the trams were running the following morning, despite the snow.

Roger.
zeibura
Zone 5

Post by zeibura »

Budapest's tram system is pretty disjointed, its not really a complete network, I think there are a few sections which are separated by a bus ride.

The Budapest Metro is made up of one short historic line and 2 GRIMEY soviet era ones which all interchange at one station. Doing the whole challenge would take roughly 2 hours I reckon. Not very difficult.

And yeah - the central European countries actually prepare for snow! Its quite chaotic, sometimes the service does momentarily stop while a bobcat gets called in to clear a particularly bad section, then you have a pileup of about 4 or 5 trams by the time you get going again.. and just walking around is crazy, bobcats everywhere and segments of pavement cordonned off so that people can push snow off the roofs
Ukončete, prosíme, vystup a nastup, dveře se zavirají