Southern Daysave

New York? Sydney? Bognor Regis? We're spoilt for choice ...
A Challenge
The Twilight Zone

Re: Southern Daysave

Post by A Challenge » 07 Apr 2018, 05:43

Surely its the same as buying a ticket for a bus (even though it may be capped on oyster) during a R15 in London?
Tumbleweed and former Nimbleweed Scorekeeper

Winner of Gumbleweeds V, VI + XI, Nimbleweeds I, III - IX + XIV and (joint with GuyBarry) winner of Timesnap

And most importantly, Former leader of Tumbleweed, and first person to 250,000

tufnellpark
Zone 2

Post by tufnellpark » 07 Sep 2018, 09:33

#4 Glasgow Challenge

I was in Scotland recently, so it would be rude not to spend a day travelling round Glasgow on a Daytripper for £12.30. The challenge is 181 Glasgow suburban stations on the 2008 SPT rail map. SPT are no longer involved in rail services, so the map hasn't been updated. The Daytripper starts at 09:00 so I needed a single ticket to get me on my way early.

On Tuesday 4th September, I started at Ayr and finished in Kilmarnock. First up the Ayrshire coast including the delightful station of Wemyss Bay. Go visit, next time you're in Glasgow. I then headed off to Lanarkshire (Coatbridge, Larkhall, Lanark, Shotts, Airdrie, Cumbernauld and Croy) and eventually back through Glasgow to Inverclyde, up to Balloch, Helensburgh and Milngavie. I got back to Queen Street at 22:41 and caught the last train to Kilmarnock, then back to Ayr by bus. A very long day but all the trains were on time (well done Scotrail) and the route worked well. Next time I will do this on a Friday, as there is a train one hour later to Kilmarnock, which gives me more time to do the Cathcart Circle.

I missed the two stations south of Ayr, as the line was closed due to a dangerous building at Ayr station, and the two stations south of Kilmarnock. I also missed the Cathcart Circle routes to Newton, Neilston and East Kilbride. So like my other rail challenges, a glorious but enjoyable failure. 137 stations visited this time. Another ideal place for a R15 weekend away.
London FNC 16:14:10 Paris Metro GWR 13:23:33
London Z1 WR 02:36:30 London Overground WR 09:07:35
Land's End to John O'Groats by bus WR 3 days, 8 hours, 17mins

A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 » 11 Sep 2018, 21:39

So when are we doing the West Midlands away day / challenge then?
- Andrew