Joy 54 - GWR attempt live updates

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Root
All Zones

Re: Joy 54 - GWR attempt live updates

Post by Root »

Ugh, how nerve-racking! Perhaps now he realises what Sam and Steve were feeling on the train to Upminster that one fateful evening.

I think he'll make it.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

the odds are very interesting in this one it depends on the exact seconds he left Amersham otherwise he might find that he be a few seconds out wouldnt that be a bummer i know how he would feel if victoria line was open in my attempt i was on for the same time roughly.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Final update..... 18:18:42
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

Commiserations Steven only 3 mins out never mind u just have to go out again and beat it how many full attempts have u done just out of curiosity?.it just shows how painful this business of tube challenging can be.

Congratulations anyway for a completion
CrunchySaviour
All Zones

Post by CrunchySaviour »

Congratulations, Steven, and a very fast time. Not fast enough though! Better luck next time...
Last edited by CrunchySaviour on 11 Apr 2008, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.
~ Let loose the bands of war! DISINTEGRATOR.co.uk
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Soup Dragon wrote:Final update..... 18:18:42
Hmmmm close. Better luck next time :)
Zone 1 Winner 2009
02:52:59

Comic Relief 2015
17:42:22
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I think that the Mill Hill East business cost Steven a possible sub 18 hours.
In response to your question Andi, I asked Steven the same this morning and he thought it was about 10 attemps that he has made.
One day I shall return!
palkanetoijala31

So Steven has made 10 attempts eh!there seems to be a pattern emerging on record attempts

Bob Anderson 51 Attempts 8 records 1 in 6.5 roughly but early days of tube challenging and more challenging stations to visit than the present day
Soup dragon 8 attempts 2 records possibly 3 1 in 4 roughly maybe 1 in 2.66 next friday
Steven 10 attempts 1 record could have been 2 1 in 5
Hakan did say somewhere that he had done a few attempts maybe 5 but 1 record
Geoff 9 attempts 1 record but 2 for charity dont really count 1in 7

so the average is around 1 in every 5 attempts would be successful and be good enough for a record
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Your statistics are skewed - one in five attempts does not yield a record. You have failed to take into account all the people who have made attempts but not got the record, such as myself.

It's a lot less than one in five.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
palkanetoijala31

Have u made 5 attempts though my suomi friend i just putting out an average on the successful attempts u also have to look at mister welsby who did it on 1st attempt and never did again?Steveooo 3rd attempt did 1 more as far as im aware sam 2 attempts 3rd?i believe if u did an average on people it work out at 1 in 5 or more but not much more.i do know of somebody who never got a record but did it 23 times or maybe 24 he cant remember.

Tangy my fellow dlr record holder has done a few never even completed yet so the average goes up all the time i dont care if i get to Bob Anderson record of 51 attempts and never even get a record i just enjoy doing it i take the average up anyway
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

palkanetoijala31 wrote:So Steven has made 10 attempts eh!there seems to be a pattern emerging on record attempts

Bob Anderson 51 Attempts 8 records 1 in 6.5 roughly but early days of tube challenging and more challenging stations to visit than the present day
Soup dragon 8 attempts 2 records possibly 3 1 in 4 roughly maybe 1 in 2.66 next friday
Steven 10 attempts 1 record could have been 2 1 in 5
Hakan did say somewhere that he had done a few attempts maybe 5 but 1 record
Geoff 9 attempts 1 record but 2 for charity dont really count 1in 7

so the average is around 1 in every 5 attempts would be successful and be good enough for a record
I (HÃ¥kan) and Lars have made 4 attempts, with the GWR in our 2nd.

However, I don't think the average is meaningful. Right now I think there is at least a 50% chance to go under the 18h15m mark on any given day, provided you have a really good route. I thus predict that the Brown/Starkey team (with female celebrity) will set a time under 18h15m next week! But in a few months time, or perhaps much sooner, we'll have a record set at around 17h45m and it will be really hard to improve further.

On a side note - remember Sergey Bubka? How often did he set a new world record? Every other competition for a while it seemed!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

hwolge wrote:On a side note - remember Sergey Bubka? How often did he set a new world record? Every other competition for a while it seemed!
Yes I believe he was going around all the athletic meetings one season and getting sponosorship money every time he set a new world record....... Which he did meeting after meeting beating it by just about 1 cm or thereabouts each time.........
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Agony for Steven last night.........

Arriving at Finchley Central the Mill Hill Shuttle was sitting there doors open, we pulled into the platform adjacent with Steven saying "don't go surely he wont go, he cant go"
Just as we came to a stop a split second before our doors opened the Shuttle doors started to close........
It was that close..... Steven and Tangy dashed outside for a bus but by the time they got to Mill Hill the shuttle was back with me at Finchley...... :(

From then on things went as well as could have bene hoped for and it was always going to be a close call to get inside the time allowed.....

Soup Dragon ran the info through TfL while we were at Acton Town and his worst fears were confirmed...... :(

Hard luck Steven, this new configuration is proving a tough nut to crack..... :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Dr Who
Zone 6

Post by Dr Who »

Wow I'm Shocked, I was adamant there would be a new record set! considering the good service & whether. Oh well Hard Luck Steven.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

I've said it before and I'll say it again...

"a good service doesn't guarantee a record".

Some days you need a train running late so that you make a connection. Say Steven changed on the Northern line three times and each time he lost 2 mins because of late running (-6). If it had meant that from some reason the MHE shuttle was running 8 late he would have caught it and would only be -12 down rather than -20.
Tube Forum administrator. I look after the database to keep this place running smoothly.