B & B in Amersham

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Barton Blue
Zone 1

B & B in Amersham

Post by Barton Blue »

Hi!

My son (13), has to do a Year 8 Challenge for school and has decided to do an All Stations Challenge next week. Consequently dad has to go too!! Can anyone recommend a B & B in Amersham please?
palkanetoijala31

Re: B & B in Amersham

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

Nita Hurley is the tube challengers b&b of choice she is well used to us by now

http://www.nitasbnb.co.uk
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Barton Blue wrote:Hi!

My son (13), has to do a Year 8 Challenge for school and has decided to do an All Stations Challenge next week. Consequently dad has to go too!! Can anyone recommend a B & B in Amersham please?
How did your son or the school find out about the all stations challenge?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Barton Blue
Zone 1

Post by Barton Blue »

I'm the guilty one in suggesting it to him in the first place! A throwaway remark one evening must have got some cogs working and the next thing i know, he's told his teacher that's what he wants to do. Unfortunately i'm struggling to get down to London that early from Northamptonshire so a B & B was another option.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Barton Blue wrote:I'm the guilty one in suggesting it to him in the first place! A throwaway remark one evening must have got some cogs working and the next thing i know, he's told his teacher that's what he wants to do. Unfortunately i'm struggling to get down to London that early from Northamptonshire so a B & B was another option.
Well Rita's is the place to stay she is used to Tubechallengers.....

So have you attempted this before yourself and do you have a route planned or anything?
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Barton Blue
Zone 1

Post by Barton Blue »

Going Underground wrote:
Barton Blue wrote:I'm the guilty one in suggesting it to him in the first place! A throwaway remark one evening must have got some cogs working and the next thing i know, he's told his teacher that's what he wants to do. Unfortunately i'm struggling to get down to London that early from Northamptonshire so a B & B was another option.
Well Rita's is the place to stay she is used to Tubechallengers.....

So have you attempted this before yourself and do you have a route planned or anything?
Always been interested, but never actually done anything about it. I've got a route and i came down last Saturday to have a scout round at bus stops etc. I'm not after any records, just getting a lad round as many stations as possible. The other thing that is in the back of my mind is safety. Do any of you ever feel threatened when you're on the last few trains at night. Obviously i know i can cope on my own, but it's going to be a different kettle of fish with a youngster in tow.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Both soup dragon and myself have taken our sons around with us, although probably a little older when they first did this, 14 & 15 I would guess.......

I personally haven't had any trouble on the trains, there might be a few harmless people around that have had a bit too much to drink..... I think the biggest concern would actually be outside the network, there are certain parts of London that you really wouldn't to be in late at night..... You should be OK, we haven't seen anything to trouble us in 7 full network attempts......
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I think did the tube challenge at 14, being joined by my father for the later hours (as he had to work during the day). There were no notable issues. Ive done it on my own several times since and had no problems.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

No, We've never had any bad or threatening experiences in or around the underground during our attempts.

The closest one was a lady that was quite upset about the fact that we even asked her (very politely) about signing a witness statement. She felt we could only ask officials and that asking fellow passengers was a terrible disrespect for their privacy - or something...

But that was only once - and not very bad really!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Hi I had my boy go round with me on serveral challenges from when he was 10 my main concern was getting seperated and to be honest I have never felt bothered being on the network at any point or time.

I agree with the forum about Nita Hurleys have stayed there 3 times and she is excellent and is well used to people leaving at 4:50am for the first train.
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

I am sure you will have a great day :D Please let us know how it all goes.......
Barton Blue
Zone 1

Post by Barton Blue »

Going Underground wrote:I am sure you will have a great day :D Please let us know how it all goes.......
Thanks Guys!

Yes i'll certainly let you know how it went. Also thanks for the re-assurance about safety!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Depending on which day you are going out next week I might be able to offer some support in the evening.
One day I shall return!
Barton Blue
Zone 1

Post by Barton Blue »

Soup Dragon wrote:Depending on which day you are going out next week I might be able to offer some support in the evening.
We're all set for Thursday. (It gives us an extended weekend to recover!)

Through necessity, rather than choice, i've had to re-do my route to allow for a Stanmore start, which as you know, is not ideal to say the least. That said, the only "sticky point" of the day will be the Richmond branch/Heathrow "corner", which Journey Planner suggests will take forever. Does anyone on here have an opinion on whether it's better to run "round the corner" at Feltham or to wait outside the station for the bus there? I can also see the tempory arrangement at T4, T123 causing us grief!
palkanetoijala31

Post by palkanetoijala31 »

A Stanmore start eh that be unique never heard anyone doing that before if u r doing that in the evening u might get Soup Dragon or Going underground to help u out on that bit.

but u might find Londonbusroutes website handy as it gives the route record and what buses stop at which stops 90/285/490 are the main ones.