May 2007 charity challenge for Frank Barnes School

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
gasman
Zone 4

May 2007 charity challenge for Frank Barnes School

Post by gasman »

Not actually anything to do with me, but the company I work for does the National Deaf Children's Society website, and during a bit of routine maintenance the other day, I did a double take when I stumbled across a previously un-noticed tube challenging story from last May.

Not quite GWR material (although admittedly 10 hours is much more than I've ever done...), and reading through it does give you a feeling of "do they even know we exist?" - but it's all in a noble cause, and I thought it was worth recording here for posterity :)
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
snudge27
All Zones

Re: May 2007 charity challenge for Frank Barnes School

Post by snudge27 »

That looks like quite an interesting idea - instead of "how quickly can you do all the stations"... "how many stations can you visit in x hours"!

Thoughts?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Ask HÃ¥kan for a computer programme.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Starkey7 wrote:Ask HÃ¥kan for a computer programme.
How do you mean?
jbom1

Post by jbom1 »

I agree that it's an interesting slant on the usual route-planning problem.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Oh no! I wasn't thinking of it in a route-planning sense - more of a smaller challenge; e.g. how many stations can you visit in one hour etc.,
joy54
Zone 5

Post by joy54 »

This was actually discussed as a challenge a while back, but it didn't really get off the ground as there are only a a very small number of lines with a high frequency of stations, and most people agreed they'd use the District Line, but this was only discussed as a "one hour" challenge, it could get alot more interesting if longer periods of time were brought in and things got more difficult
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

joy54 wrote:This was actually discussed as a challenge a while back, but it didn't really get off the ground as there are only a a very small number of lines with a high frequency of stations, and most people agreed they'd use the District Line, but this was only discussed as a "one hour" challenge, it could get alot more interesting if longer periods of time were brought in and things got more difficult
Yes, I was actually thinking along the same lines there last night that a problem would most likely be people just staying on the one line/train. So I thought up a few ways of discouraging it:

1) Give the challenge a longer time limit (2/3 hours)
2) Give incentives for changing lines - interchange stations could count for each line you visit them on for example
3) In calculating a final score, instead of setting it at just stations, you could factor lines into the equation for example; so you could work it out as Score = Lines x Stations, therefore making it almost imperative to change lines
4) Give restrictions as to the area of the challenge - Z1-Z3 for example