2x275

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
hwolge
Zone 6

2x275

Post by hwolge »

Hi, all. Just thought I write a few lines on mine and Lars´s latest attempts. We arrived in London Sunday lunch and did some final recceing. Then we had three possible days for attempts. We felt that since we came all the way here we should at least have the option to do more than one attempt.

So how did it go? Well, Monday went fine all the way to Moor Park. When we arrived there the 6:22 Watford was nowhere to be seen. Well, well we could spare 10 minutes - no problem... Anyway, we pushed on to Kenton, where the second disaster of they day happened. We spent more than 15 minutes looking at empty NB tracks. Coming back from Harrow & Wealdstone (with the returning train) we were some 25 minuites behind plan. We pushed on for a few hour, not gaining or losing any notable amount of time. At around 2pm we decided to abandon the attempt and go for Wednesday again.

After resting Tuesday, we felt quite optimistc about Wednesday. After all, we couldn't possibly have such a bad start again - could we? Well. arriving at Moor Park. the 6:22 Watford was nowhere to be seen. It did however arrive 2-3 minutes late. A lot better than Monday we felt. I.e. until Watford, when the train decided to wait for 10 minutes or so (taking the next train's slot. So we started just as badly. At Kenton we arrived 3 minutes before a Bakerloo service. That one was cancelled and we had to wait an extra 4 minutes. Anyway, we were still 8-10 minutes better off than we had been Monday. And very much with hope of a new GWR. This lasted til around midday where we got stuck on a bus with a driver´s change, ticket inspection and the eventual eviction of a couple of unticvketed passenger. Combined with a train delay arriving, this set us back another 13 minutes! We still pressed on, but after waiting for the ELL replacment bus for 13 minutes and a having a slow ride as well, we saw hope vanishing. However, we pressed on until all hope was gone, which was at around 7pm.

After a quick bite, we went and joined the priates and had a nice couple of hours in their company to round off the day.

Yours,
HÃ¥kan and Lars
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I didn't really feel like coming out to meet you anyway - it was all cold and rainy. :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Well that a was a most interesting evening last night to say the least :shock:

I heard that Hakan and Lars were in town and had been spotted by Jack and Matt when we met up on the same train heading back to the pub after our Cannon St. Bottle Challenge......

I think they had seen them at Bayswater but thought they were on reconniassance as they weren't rushing around. (Does Hakan ever rush around anyway :wink:)

So it wasn't a complete shock when we walked into the Capt'n Kidd and there they were... After a few minutes we realised that they had been on full network attempt.......

At this moment in time we are still awaiting for GWR confirmation and the 8 week period will be up shortly, so interesting to see that more sneaky attempts are taking place :wink:

It sounds like you had pretty bad luck on both days, the Moor Park train to Watford in always a concern and a very tight connection but a NB delay of 15 minutes at Kenton is unheard of :shock:

My commiserations and I know how you feel :!:

Anyway as Hakan says it was a nice way to end the day with all the pirates at the Cap'n Kidd......... :P
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Going Underground wrote:a NB delay of 15 minutes at Kenton is unheard of
I remember having a similar problem on my fourth (i think it was the fourth) attempt though I don't remember the exact details off hand.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Firstly:
I forgot to mention that on Monday we ran across this guy:

http://www.techno-mage.co.uk/

and he made a "piece" on us:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliver_godby/1398770886

Secondly:
Going home from Cap'n Kidd's Wednesday night we met a couple of unknown "fans". One of them came up to me as we were getting off the train, and said: "Are you the Swedes doing the Underground? I've read about you!" or something to that effect! I truly never expected a thing like that to happen...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

hwolge wrote:Firstly:
I forgot to mention that on Monday we ran across this guy:

http://www.techno-mage.co.uk/

and he made a "piece" on us:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/oliver_godby/1398770886

Secondly:
Going home from Cap'n Kidd's Wednesday night we met a couple of unknown "fans". One of them came up to me as we were getting off the train, and said: "Are you the Swedes doing the Underground? I've read about you!" or something to that effect! I truly never expected a thing like that to happen...
What can I say Hakan, fame at last eh...... :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Yes, as the Zone 1 champion I get that all the time. I didn't realise that it was such a prolific event!