Secret 274 ... and a provisional new World Record!

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

jamesthegill wrote:Would it be possible for one to attempt a 27x challenge all on one's lonesome?

Apologies for threadjacking :oops:
Why not?

They have records for sailing round the word solo so maybe there should be a seperate record for unsupported tube challengers. No walkie-talkies, food deliverers or door-holders allowed!
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Seeing as Jack Welsby and Steven Karahan have not only made solo attempts but also beaten the record (and that's just looking at the last decade), the answer would appear to be yes...

(edit) ah, no support crew - well, that's a different kettle of fish.
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

It's harder to do it on your own now because of GWR's new rules on what information you need to get.

Trying to do everything yourself must wear you out.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I think it would be almost impossible to attempt single handed and have any chance of breaking a world record. The level of concentration required in logging times at every station, collecting train numbers, getting witness statements and taking photos every hour would be extremely hard. Also to attempt solo (without any support whatsoever) would be somewhat boring without the banter you have when doing this as a team.
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I agree, that a solo attempt would be very hard - not impossible though - because of the witness statement stuff.

I and Lars have had very limited support in both our attempts. We haven't had any door holding or external help with information. Both times the help has been limited to a single food and drink service, moral support and catching a couple of train numbers...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

First of all a belated congratulations to the team! Can't believe that you are still talking of bettering your own time now that you hold the record now though, don't you guys ever get bored of it? :P

Secondly, I can see why there is a little controversy over the whole did you/did you not do Shoreditch - mainly stemming from the fact that the title of this thread advertises it as a 274 attempt, not a 275, and also the fact that there appeared to be a total reluctance to answer Hakans initial question of "I assume it was a full 275 attempt including Shoreditch", obviously not helped by Kevin stoking the fire a little later on :wink:

Thirdly, regarding the whole going solo, I would say, possible - yes, but probable - extremely unlikely. As mentioned, the amount of information that you need to collect for GWR is so sizeable that do collate it all yourself would take some serious work! Also, when you are behind record time schedule, as everyone is at some point, you need someone there to give you the old "Chins up" and boost your spirits. I for one would never consider doing a full 275 on my own!

Finally, congratulations to the team again, hope that you don't have to wait as long for GWR to confirm as myself and Sam did!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

The reason this subject title says 274 is because I started this thread and I put it there.

I have issues with Shoreditch being included and so therefore I will always refer to a full challenge as a "274".
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Many thanks to everyone for their kind comments and congratulations... :D

Everything has been neatly compiled and sent to GWR last Friday, so we await the news in the next couple of weeks or so..........

With regard to the comment about going out and beating our own time, well that was a bit tongue-in-cheek and really depends on whether the whole team can get together in the coming months....
It is just that we feel the route has real potential to obtain a faster time and we would really like to be the holders of the configuration that still includes the East London Line (Ping Pons favourite Line :wink: )

We will certainly be doing a full network for CiN in November whatever happens (albeit possibly in super hero costumes :shock: )...

Again thanks for all the support and will let you know as soon GWR are in touch..... :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
greatkingrat
All Zones

Post by greatkingrat »

Going Underground wrote:Many thanks to everyone for their kind comments and congratulations... :D

Everything has been neatly compiled and sent to GWR last Friday, so we await the news in the next couple of weeks or so..........
Don't you mean the next three months or so!
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Going Underground wrote:We will certainly be doing a full network for CiN in November whatever happens (albeit possibly in super hero costumes :shock: )...
Doing it in super hero costumes would be a brilliant irony, as you'd actually have your kids with you whilst doing it :P
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

TheFatBuoy wrote:
Going Underground wrote:We will certainly be doing a full network for CiN in November whatever happens (albeit possibly in super hero costumes :shock: )...
Doing it in super hero costumes would be a brilliant irony, as you'd actually have your kids with you whilst doing it :P
Good point, we don't have any plans to break into Buckingham Palace at the moment though....... :shock:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

scrxisi wrote:This thread makes me want to have a go too. I've never done more than a Z1 either. Oh dear...
There is nothing better than the full network as far as challenges go, perhaps you should think about it on CiN day :?:
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Back to the original topic...

I've been wondering about a detail. You arrived at T123 at 23:49 (23:48:57). According to time table, this was probably the one scheduled for arrival at 23:45. Had you missed this one, you'd have ended up on the 23:53 arrival - same as we did when we set our record.

My question is: If the last train had been on time, would you have made it, or would you in fact had been on the same train as we were?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

hwolge wrote:Back to the original topic...

I've been wondering about a detail. You arrived at T123 at 23:49 (23:48:57). According to time table, this was probably the one scheduled for arrival at 23:45. Had you missed this one, you'd have ended up on the 23:53 arrival - same as we did when we set our record.

My question is: If the last train had been on time, would you have made it, or would you in fact had been on the same train as we were?
It was looking very much like we were going to be on the train ahead of you... However we were held for around 8 minutes at Edwgare Road on the H & C due to an "obstruction on the track"
Arriving at Hammersmith H & C we decided to really go for the run to Piccadilly Line, ignoring the traffic and risking all one last big push in the hope that the train had been delayed...... As I was at the top of the stairs I heard the frantic cries of "Heathrow train is in" .... We made it by the skin of our teeth, yes it was running behind schedule :D

Arrival Hammersmith H & C 23:11:13 Depart Hammersmith 23:12:58
Not bad for an old timer :shock:
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I think that if the Hammersmith and City had even been moderately okay (rather than totally toilet), we'd probably have comfortably made the train before the one that we actually got, even if it had come on time.