Secret 274 ... and a provisional new World Record!

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Secret 274 ... and a provisional new World Record!

Post by tubeguru »

I have it on good authority that a certain few members of this forum were out on a 274 attempt yesterday.

They haven't replied to my text messages imploring them to tell me if they broke the record of failed miserably, but they were still going at 8pm.

Come on lads. I think we should be told.
Last edited by tubeguru on 26 Jul 2007, 13:39, edited 1 time in total.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Yes Neil, that is indeed correct.

We had decided to keep yesterdays attempt fairly low key, after the bravado of previous failed attempts, we thought this approach might bring more success. However Kevin & Jamie did give some hint of our attempt in their forum signatures.

We would have reported last night but did not eventually get home until around 2 am after driving from Hatton Cross to Amersham to collect my car. Unfortunately this took 1/2 hour longer than it should have done due to the fact that Kevin left his keys in my car at Amersham. We had to get spare keys from Ashford so that he could drive me to Amersham... :evil:

We departed Amersham at 05:28:31 arriving Heathrow T123 at 23:48:57.
Therefore we have a provisional time and new record of 18h20m26s, subject to confirmation from Guinness. Unfortunately during a couple of frantic changes and packed trains we were unable to get witness statements within the hour limit and we missed some train numbers, hopefully Guinness will still be ok with this.

Yesterday is still a bit of a blur, but I'm sure we will get you a full report before too long... :)
One day I shall return!
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

Ooooh, I was wondering how it went.

Congratulations!

Was it a similar route to what you had attempted before? And did you swing by Shoreditch on your travels?

Look forward to hearing more about it soon. Well done guys.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I assume it was a full 275 attempt including Shoreditch!! Congrats to the whole team (BTW who was in the team?). Our reign was for 10 months minus oine day. I've spoken to Lars a couple of times today, and we both have our families's encouragement to reclaim the record - so watch out! We know our route is good enough for a time of 18:00-18:15.

Anyway, I shouldn't worry too much about a late witness report nor a couple of missed train numbers. We missed 3 train numbers and had terrible quality (readability) on some of the witness statements....

Once again, VERY WELL DONE INDEED!

/HÃ¥kan (and Lars, I'm sure)
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Post-275 Syndrome:

A medical condition suffered by one who, having attained the holy grail of tube challenging, suddenly finds that one cannot be arsed with the whole thing to a spectacular degree of not-being-arsedness and elects to sit back and mock the futile efforts of others.

I know it well ...

Member of sweet FA
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Call me stupid, Neil, but in what way did that fit into the conversation? :?
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

It was a very Neil-esque comment. In that sense it fitted perfectly!

Great time boys! (and girls?). C'mon .. give us a webpage with report / photos etc..!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

jonny wrote:Call me stupid, Neil, but in what way did that fit into the conversation? :?
Because I'm suggesting to Kevin et al that they may now start suffering from it having finally set their own record. :)

Member of sweet FA
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tpfkar wrote:Ooooh, I was wondering how it went.

Congratulations!

Was it a similar route to what you had attempted before? And did you swing by Shoreditch on your travels?

Look forward to hearing more about it soon. Well done guys.
The route was very different from previous attempts, however due to being 20 mins behind schedule in the morning we had to alter our initial Shoreditch plans. In fact our initial plans went out the window at 07:00 and we had to completely change the next 5 hours of our planned route.
Some good teamwork and quick thinking managed to keep us on track. :D
geofftech wrote:Great time boys! (and girls?). C'mon .. give us a webpage with report / photos etc..!
The full team was Me + Kevin, Jamie, Ping Pon & Starkey. I havent been home since Wednesday so havent had a chance to download the pics yet, I will try very hard to get some pics and a report on the site this weekend. Unlike the rest of the team I had to be back at work at 0900 on Thursday so I'm still struggling to recover from our efforts.
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

If GWR like it you will be the largest group to do it since the days of Robert Robinson.

It's all been ones and twos since his day.

Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Greetings to everyone in Tubeland, I am back on line albeit only temporary as my internet has gones tits up at home and can't be fixed until next Wednesday :x

We are compiling everything as neat and tidy as possible to send off to GWR and await the news.........

Like Soupie says I am not really sure how we got it round on the day with several route changes and quick on the spot thinking and decisions....

With regard to the size of the team, 5 is pretty good and we kept each others spirits up during the many highs and lows of the day and we didn't cause any disruption to trains, staff or passengers (honest) :D

Neils point about post 275 syndrome is very apt, part of you doesn't want to beat the record (if that makes sense)...

Lastly a big thank you to our support team of Jonny & Tangy who kindly assisted on the day... :D

Well I probably won't be back on line until I get to work on Monday now, so will catch up with you then or at the DLR on Tues 31st IF I CAN BE ARSED :wink:
Last edited by Going Underground on 28 Jul 2007, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

See? He's feeling it already.

Once you've got the big one you just let go.

Member of sweet FA
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

Well done boys on setting a new time

But with my new & improved route your reign as fastest time wont last long :lol: :lol: :lol:
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
TheFatBuoy
Zone 5

Post by TheFatBuoy »

Well done guys. I still haven't given up hope of breaking the record, but not for a little while. Before that though, at some point, I'd quite like to give my "Well, it won't break the record, but getting around all stations before the network closes should be possible, and this'll be without walking any faster than a marginally brisk pace" route (or the WIWBTRBGAASBTNCSBPATBWWAFTAMBP in short). It's not a spectacularly good route, especially as it involves changing at Westminster (I just love the openness of the architecture there, if that's a correct way to describe it), but it could work.
Paul Hunter (1978-2006) RIP
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Congratulations. Best of luck for getting the record.