DLR Challenge 14/07/07

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
tpfkar
Zone 4

DLR Challenge 14/07/07

Post by tpfkar »

All work and no records makes Ric a dull boy.

I think I just changed that :D :D :D

I was passing through London today and thought I'd have a go at the DLR challenge today, as the weather was good and lots of other lines had delays. This was my first attempt at any challenge since the Z1 day, where my record fell.

According to the DLR thread, the current record was 1:48:55, but I took exactly two minutes off this to get round in 1hr, 46 mins, 55seconds.

The main bit that was annoying was that 'epic' Gallion's Reach-King George V run, with a supposed 7 minute target. I was dressed in jeans and a heavy jacket, as I hadn't planned to be in London, let alone doing a challenge, and timed myself at 7mins 20 seconds from doors opening to arriving on the platform. But there was no train, and I in fact had to wait a further 4 minutes before my train departed. :?

The other highlight was a 4 second connection. Yes, I'm serious! However the train then took almost a minute to leave the station while the guard shouted at me for running through closing doors :oops:

I didn't actually know what the record was, so I was very pleased to see I'd done enough just now when I logged on.

However - and here's the exciting/ominous bit (delete as appropriate) - I don't think my run today was all that special, and I think the same route could be at least 5 mins quicker on a good day. It's clearly a strong route, and I wonder if it is different from routes that others have been trying.

Sorry tangy - but I hope it'll spur you and others on to come up with ever better routes to try and beat it.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Re: DLR Challenge 14/07/07

Post by Soup Dragon »

tpfkar wrote:All work and no records makes Ric a dull boy.

I think I just changed that :D :D :D

I was passing through London today and thought I'd have a go at the DLR challenge today, as the weather was good and lots of other lines had delays. This was my first attempt at any challenge since the Z1 day, where my record fell.

According to the DLR thread, the current record was 1:48:55, but I took exactly two minutes off this to get round in 1hr, 46 mins, 55seconds.

The main bit that was annoying was that 'epic' Gallion's Reach-King George V run, with a supposed 7 minute target. I was dressed in jeans and a heavy jacket, as I hadn't planned to be in London, let alone doing a challenge, and timed myself at 7mins 20 seconds from doors opening to arriving on the platform. But there was no train, and I in fact had to wait a further 4 minutes before my train departed. :?

The other highlight was a 4 second connection. Yes, I'm serious! However the train then took almost a minute to leave the station while the guard shouted at me for running through closing doors :oops:

I didn't actually know what the record was, so I was very pleased to see I'd done enough just now when I logged on.

However - and here's the exciting/ominous bit (delete as appropriate) - I don't think my run today was all that special, and I think the same route could be at least 5 mins quicker on a good day. It's clearly a strong route, and I wonder if it is different from routes that others have been trying.

Sorry tangy - but I hope it'll spur you and others on to come up with ever better routes to try and beat it.
I've got a horrible feeling that your route is the same as mine. I do have another route which relies on some very tight connections which could be even faster, but I'm not going to say anymore about that for now :wink:
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Surely there can only be a handful of sensible routes for a DLR challenge.
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Yeah I agree. The DLR isnt that big. It shouldnt take that long to work out a sensible route.
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

tubeguru wrote:Surely there can only be a handful of sensible routes for a DLR challenge.
Plus one nonsensical route which goes via Archway ;)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

garion24wales wrote:Yeah I agree. The DLR isnt that big. It shouldnt take that long to work out a sensible route.
It's not so much the route, you also need to take into account the "Window". I found that sometimes it is best not to take the first train, you can wait say 7 minutes at point A. and still make the same connection at point B. there are several different permutations using identical routes at different times of the day you could have a route as fast as 1h42m or as slow as 2h05m.
One day I shall return!
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Yeah thats also true. Once you've found a route, you've got to experiment and find out what times are faster than others and incorporate them into your plans.