Tube Challenge attempt

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

If you let someone else know your route, and then they use it to beat your time, that's your own fault. Similarly, if you know someone elses' route, and you like it, then use it. But chances are that you will disagree with some parts of it and will make minor changes - you may want to double back to Canons Park where the route suggests you wait it out at Stanmore.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Well anyway.

This doesn't really need to be discussed. If you do want to discuss it with me (although I can't see why it would matter that much) I would prefer to do so by PM.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well it mattered enough to you to mention it in a public forum ... :-)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

It mattered to me because I thought it would matter to other people.. but good point :P
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

jonny wrote:Well anyway.

This doesn't really need to be discussed. If you do want to discuss it with me (although I can't see why it would matter that much) I would prefer to do so by PM.
jonny wrote:It mattered to me because I thought it would matter to other people.. but good point .
That is the best piece of contradiction i've seen in a while haha!
PFW
Zone 3

Post by PFW »

Give the poor guy a break. If he hadn't said that he had consulted with Hakan on this somebody would probably accused him of using a 'borrowed' route. But now some people are having a go because he has been honest about what is going on.
petermiller36
Zone 4

Post by petermiller36 »

its a forum mate, discussions happen. and the point is he doesnt need to discuss it with hakan, hes not using the route. surely thats it isnt it. jonny... let me know the date and i can food drop or woteva. im close to london and relatively free.
spoogie37
Zone 1

Post by spoogie37 »

Thought: I haven't been on here for a while and am not planning a challenge anytime soon (certainly not while any replacement buses are required) - if I were to plan a route and it tunred out to be exactly the same as Hakan's but I was unaware of that, would I need to clear it? I suppose the question really is, once I had a route in mind would I really need to consult with Hakan (or whoever is holding the record at the time) to make sure I haven't unwittingly duplicated someone else's route?
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

spoogie37 wrote:Thought: I haven't been on here for a while and am not planning a challenge anytime soon (certainly not while any replacement buses are required) - if I were to plan a route and it tunred out to be exactly the same as Hakan's but I was unaware of that, would I need to clear it? I suppose the question really is, once I had a route in mind would I really need to consult with Hakan (or whoever is holding the record at the time) to make sure I haven't unwittingly duplicated someone else's route?
In short..........No........
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Well as it's usually not a good idea to tell everyone your route, in theory you could have no way of knowing Hakan's route.

Therefore if you came up with a duplicate it would not make any difference because you would not reveal YOUR route, and so would have no way of knowing if it was the same!

I think the Jonny thing is because he KNOWS Hakan's route already and so therefore could be accused of "cheating".

I know Hakan's route too, as I helped him out on his first failed attempt and then tagged along for a bit of his successful attempt. I'm not going to tell anyone though and I wouldn't use it for my own gain.

So long as we keep this unwritten rule in place that you'd be advised to keep your route to yourself then no one will ever know if they are duplicating someone else's.

And to be honest, routes these days have become so finely tuned that there's a good chance that we're all copying huge chunks of each other's routes anyway. Take Zone 1 - is there a single route that doesn't duplicate a substantial part of anyone else's? No.

With a finite number of stations and the interchanges fixed, most 275 routes since 2000 have probably been very similar.

So I wouldn't worry about it. Go and do a route and see what time you get.

Member of sweet FA
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

tubeguru wrote:Take Zone 1 - is there a single route that doesn't duplicate a substantial part of anyone else's? No.
Okay! I admit, I often use the Central Line to travel between Queensway and Bond Street.

Glad to have got that off my chest.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

What about between Chancery Lane and St. Paul's.

I hope you run that because I use the Central line there too.

Member of sweet FA
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Somehow I feel a bit responsible over this whole discussion. In a way I also feel a quite guilty in the first place because I gave away almost all of my route to our support man of the day. I'd also like to stress that I told him he was free to use the information any way he felt. He went on and did an unsuccessful attempt with jonny shortly thereafter. Because of our mutual suspicion I and jonny compared notes and discovered they had indeed used an almost identical route, something jonny had been completely unaware of.

Anyway, jonny felt bad about this and told me he would clear any future route containing substantial parts of my route with me. He felt it would be hard to come come up with a new route without certain unique aspects of my route. I told him it wouldn't be necessary but of course quite welcome if he chose to.

I'd like to state quite clearly that I would never accuse anyone of theft of cheating if they use information about my route for their own attempt - there is only myself to blame for anyone actually knowing too much about it!

Of course I'd feel a bit bad if I knew someone were to use that info without publicly (e.g. on this forum) admitting to it.

Having said all this, I can only wish jonny and tangy in their attempt!

And I don't mind getting an insight (from jonny by PM or other private channel) into how much or indeed if any part is in particular inspired by my route...

/HÃ¥kan
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Guys, I think there are now enough reasons to end the conversation. It was, with hindsight, perhaps silly of me to mention it publically.

Thanks to everyone for wishing us good luck :) and thanks again to everyone that has offered support for the day -- I'll contact those people nearer the time, probably by PM. It looks like we still need a stopwatch starter but I may have to look elsewhere for that.

Cheers,

Jonny.
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

I might be able to start the stopwatch for you, if you can cover a Taxi fare from Chesham to Amersham and a train fare back home for me.