Tube Challenge attempt

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

hwolge wrote:I hope for 18.43 (which happens to be the latest possible arrival at Heathrow T123 via T4) - thus that's my official guess!

On the other hand I wouldn't be too surprised if it came down to the same train (T123 at 23.53) as we had. GU - could you find out the EXACT departure time this morning?
Ok Hakan, they departed Amersham at 05:27 45 secs...
The route was due to finish at Heathrow on same train as your GWR...

However just spoken with Jonny on bus from Morden to Wimbledon, they had problems getting to Victoria with Circle/District line business and now approx 20mins down.... looks like they are going to miss their planned Ken Olympia train......

To compound their problems they were unable to get to East Acton earlier due to signal problems at North Acton so they need to "double back" there later in the day........

They are pressing on for the time being but depending on how Ken Olympia goes an early abort may be on the cards........
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Ugh, I hate getting up at quarter-to-five in the morning.

The guys were very pessimistic right from the start, which was odd. We had a fun time at Chalfont & Latimer; I'm sure one of them will explain it sometime.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Root wrote:Ugh, I hate getting up at quarter-to-five in the morning.

The guys were very pessimistic right from the start, which was odd. We had a fun time at Chalfont & Latimer; I'm sure one of them will explain it sometime.
Not sure if I will be needed tonight or not now, but if so will enquire about the Chalfont & Lat capers....... :P

I don't blame their pessimism, our next attempt is 25th July and we have been similarly gloomy. I cant recall a decent running day on the network for weeks :( :evil:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I've got it! I now know why Ken is letting investment on the tube slide.

It's to stop tube challengers!
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

The guys have aborted at Ken Olympia, no chance of making up the lost time.......... :(

So what's this then Ollie, chasing Amersham trains at Chalfont when you need to get to Chesham...... :shock: :wink:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

At least they didn't make it all the way to 9 or 10pm tonight before aborting. That would be annoying.

Member of sweet FA
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

They must have been a hell of a long way behind schedule to think they can't make it up especially as Jonny has never completed a full challenge.
Myself and Steve were behind at this time when we broke the record but we kept at it and look what happened! :wink:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

I have to agree that I would have carried on until maybe 6 or 7pm and see how it was looking by then.

I'd be interested to hear how flexible Jonny's route was. Could he change sections around without losing time in order to avoid delays on some parts of the network, or was he more or less fixed to the route all the way?

Member of sweet FA
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Hey guys.

Basically, there was very little flexibility in the route -- mainly due to the fact that it was only scheduled to just scrape a record. I was surprised at how quickly we did make up time after losing it for the first time (due to a defective train at West Ruislip causing a 15 minute wait at Ruislip Gardens!), which caused me to think (more than) twice about aborting. The slight difficulty was with the eastern end of the central line. If we arrived there two or three minutes late we would miss the woodford via hainault oppurtunity and this would add probably about 10 minutes there followed by an extra 20 minute wait for the Shoreditch bus. (This section wasn't too far away, by the way.)

With hindsight, I think Martin and I were very discouraged that for the last three hours we had been meeting delay after delay and weren't expecting the system to return anywhere near the full "Good Service" that it's at now. It does seem a shame to me now that I have returned from the massive low that I found myself in at about 12 o'clock.

BTW, Thanks to Ollie for coming down in the morning, and to Kevin for intending on helping us out in the evening -- I'm sorry it didn't work out!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Tough luck Jonny & Tangy, when I heard the travel report on the radio this morning I was thinking of you guys. Hopefully we will get better luck on the 25th, all we need to do now is agree on what route we are taking and start praying. :)
One day I shall return!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Commiserations, Martin and Jonny. I know exactly how you feel (well, approximately, anyway).

Soupie - yes, we do! I'm pretty much free except for Thursday evenings and Sundays; would some time in the near future be good for a meet-up and a round or two of The London Game?

Hmmm I suppose that this could go in a private email, but I think that it's just about on-topic enough to stay here. :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Bad luck Jonny and Tangy.... It didn't look good when I first logged onto TfL around 8am yesterday, as seems to have been the scenario for several weeks now...... :(

I am begining to wonder if anyone is going to get close to challenging Hakan's GWR time before the ELL closure........ :?

At the moment route planning, research and phsyical fitness might as well go out of the window...........The key element and most important ingredient in the Tube challenge cake is a large dose of "Lady Luck"...

Better luck next time guys..... :wink:

And yes team Brown / Starkey I believe are next to strap on their pads and step up to the crease for their innings on 25th July......

Now if only we knew what starting, finishing station and route we were using :?
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

Going Underground wrote:Now if only we knew what starting, finishing station and route we were using :?
Plan it 10 minutes before you start like all the cool kids do :D
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

And you expect people to take that advice from someone who has Archway in his DLR route? ;)

Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

jamesthegill wrote:
Going Underground wrote:Now if only we knew what starting, finishing station and route we were using :?
Plan it 10 minutes before you start like all the cool kids do :D
We nearly had to on our last attempt....... :shock: