When the Orange has faded...

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Root
All Zones

When the Orange has faded...

Post by Root »

I imagine quite a few of us will be wanting to do a full network challenge as soon as the ELL has completely closed, so I thought I'd make a thread about it. Rather than just let the first team to complete the network claim the record, with potentially a very poor time, why don't we try and get as many teams as possible to do it on the same day? That way, the first record holder will genuinely have beaten the competition, and should have a reasonably good time.

So, your thoughts please, on whether this would be a good idea, and whether you'd like to join in. Surely the temptation of this situation is too great for you to resist...
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

I know there's an awful lot to be said for planning in advance - but would it not be prudent to leave off such monumental plans until we know what stance GWR are going to take on it all?
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

The advantage of doing something like this would be that we would only need one stopwatch starter for all of us, and if we could agree on a finishing station (Heathrow?) then only one finisher. It would also be a lot easier to get witness statements for the first couple of hours, and there might be a bit of 'peer support' on the Harrow run. The atmosphere in a mass attempt would be great - those first couple of hours on Tube Relief were pretty special,even with that Moor Park connection.

Could I be tempted? Don't know...am feeling lazy at the moment. Ask me in a few months.
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I'm up for it.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

When's the date? Hopefully I would have passed my driving test by then and hoping to make my first appearance! :)
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Garion, I should just point out that you're not allowed to use a car during an attempt.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Umm... I do know that :wink: I meant that I would drive to London then use public transport :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

uefacup81 wrote:I know there's an awful lot to be said for planning in advance - but would it not be prudent to leave off such monumental plans until we know what stance GWR are going to take on it all?
I very much doubt Guinness would have given the closure of the ELL any thought whatsoever. If a mass group goes out and attempts the record after the ELL closes then maybe Guinness will realise something has changed. Just advise Guinness that your making the attempt in late December, see what the rules say, and just go for it. I doubt the rules will say anything about the ELL so therefore Guinness should accept a 269 record.
One day I shall return!
Root
All Zones

Post by Root »

Does anyone actually have the date of closure, with proof? I can't find it on the TfL website.
2012 Formula 1 predictions competition
Rules and discussion - Entry form - Results and standings
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

If the rules stay the same, then you will still have to visit Shoreditch by bus, but not the rest of the ELL when it closes.
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

Root wrote:Does anyone actually have the date of closure, with proof? I can't find it on the TfL website.
23rd December, posters are on display at stations.

http://inspectorsands.fotopic.net/p39786726.html
nozzacook
All Zones

Post by nozzacook »

I would not bother Informing GWR just send in the evidence claiming the tincluding the details of the closure of the ELL and put the ball in there court.

So start Planning as The ELL closes 22nd December 2007
26 miles 385yards in 4h 14m 40s.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

jonny wrote:If the rules stay the same, then you will still have to visit Shoreditch by bus, but not the rest of the ELL when it closes.
But the Guinness rules say nothing about the Shoreditch replacement bus, thats my point. If we all start emailing Guinness asking stupid questions about the ELL they will write back to you and possibly say that you have to visit the entire ELL by bus. This is what has happened to those who asked Guinness about the Shoreditch bus, they said you had to use it but they have never updated the rules they send out to include this ruling.
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Soup Dragon wrote:
jonny wrote:If the rules stay the same, then you will still have to visit Shoreditch by bus, but not the rest of the ELL when it closes.
But the Guinness rules say nothing about the Shoreditch replacement bus, thats my point. If we all start emailing Guinness asking stupid questions about the ELL they will write back to you and possibly say that you have to visit the entire ELL by bus. This is what has happened to those who asked Guinness about the Shoreditch bus, they said you had to use it but they have never updated the rules they send out to include this ruling.
I see, I assumed Shoreditch was in the rules.
My mistake!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

tpfkar wrote:The advantage of doing something like this would be that we would only need one stopwatch starter for all of us, and if we could agree on a finishing station (Heathrow?) then only one finisher. It would also be a lot easier to get witness statements for the first couple of hours, and there might be a bit of 'peer support' on the Harrow run. The atmosphere in a mass attempt would be great - those first couple of hours on Tube Relief were pretty special,even with that Moor Park connection.

Could I be tempted? Don't know...am feeling lazy at the moment. Ask me in a few months.
Nice thoughts Ric, but if the teams are serious about a GWR they might not all want to start or finish at the same stations...Or indeed all do the Harrow run :wink:
I agree the atmosphere of a mass attempt would be great, I had a taste of this on the CiN day last year. Unfortunately I wasn't around when tube relief happened... :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold