When the Orange has faded...

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

It just needs someone to organise it and I reckon you could get 5 or 6 teams. It won't be as big as TubeRelief or the CiN things because it isnt for charity, in my opinion.

I'll help organise if someone wants to take charge, but I doubt I could organise it on my own.
moley
Site Administrator

Post by moley »

Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, STOP.

No attempt between 23 December and March 2008 is sensible. Why? Because that is when Heathrow Terminal 5 opens.

My guess, and I know that a few people have the same opinion is that Guiness will not accept a change in the size of the network until such time. I think that this is why they insist that Shoreditch is still done - to stop 'new' records being made (differentiated from being set).
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Spoilsport :D :P
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

jonny wrote:If the rules stay the same, then you will still have to visit Shoreditch by bus, but not the rest of the ELL when it closes.
But the whole line will be replaced by replacement bus services for 1.5 years!

The colour orange isn't literally going to fade by the way; the whole "Overground" network will be rebranded and will use the colour.
See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_Overground
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

moley wrote:Stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, stop, STOP.

No attempt between 23 December and March 2008 is sensible. Why? Because that is when Heathrow Terminal 5 opens.

My guess, and I know that a few people have the same opinion is that Guiness will not accept a change in the size of the network until such time. I think that this is why they insist that Shoreditch is still done - to stop 'new' records being made (differentiated from being set).
So are you the official spokesman for Guinness now?
How do you know whether Guinness will accept a record until T5 opens? It may well be the case that a new record is set but only lasts a few months until T5 opens. It's quite simple really as soon as we decide on a date email Guinness in the usual way, if they know of any reason why you can't do the attempt on the given day they will advise.
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

moley does tend to get these kind of things right, but I would agree with you, Soup Dragon -- it is definitely worth contacting Guiness and just doing it if they don't give you any reason not to.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I have a Guinness claim ID number issued in 2006. Guinness confirmed to me that I can retain this ID number and refer to it each time we make an attempt. So each time we made an attempt Guinness confirmed by return email what the existing record was and that our proposed date to attempt the record was logged.

I will keep that claim ID and re-submit for our next effort (hopefully soon!) and then again in late December or early January, once the ELL is closed.
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I wonder if that's true if you actually submitted a record for the Claim ID...
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

hwolge wrote:I wonder if that's true if you actually submitted a record for the Claim ID...
I must admit I thought that you would have to make a fresh application with each attempt. However a lady from Guinness confirmed to me by e-mail that if we did not suceed in breaking the record at the first attempt, we could keep the ID and use it for susequent attempts. She advised that all we need do is advise our attempt date a few weeks beforehand.

I will have to see if this is correct when we eventually break the record :D
One day I shall return!
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Soup Dragon wrote:I will have to see if this is correct when we eventually break the record :D
Nothing like a spot of wishful thinking is there? :)
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
jamesthegill
All Zones

Post by jamesthegill »

From what I gather from here it looks like the ELL will be absorbed into the Overground network, so the "Tube" network that we all know, love and race around will be permanently losing those stations when it closes.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

jamesthegill wrote:From what I gather from here it looks like the ELL will be absorbed into the Overground network, so the "Tube" network that we all know, love and race around will be permanently losing those stations when it closes.
Yes James, this has caused much debate on the forum already. In particular with Shoreditch which has permanently closed and the replacement station Shoreditch High Street will never be part of the Underground network.
One day I shall return!
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

And to think that Shoreditch closed a year ago, and we're still bitching.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

editorsfoot wrote:And to think that Shoreditch closed a year ago, and we're still bitching.
:lol: :lol: Classic eh
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

editorsfoot wrote:And to think that Shoreditch closed a year ago, and we're still bitching.
Yes it will be exactly one year on 9th June 2007 since Shoreditch closed.... for good... and the bitching still continues, maybe some of us should consider becoming housemates in BB, they could do with a few more bitches in the house :)
One day I shall return!