GWR Attempt - 28 June 2007

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
snudge27
All Zones

GWR Attempt - 28 June 2007

Post by snudge27 »

Evening folks - two of my colleagues and I will be coming down to London from deepest, darkest Norfolk to have a crack at the GWR (whatever it'll be by then) on 28th June.

What's the entire protocol with stopwatches etc.,?
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

You need to create an account on the Guinness World Record website, they will send you out details of what you need to do in relation to stopwatches etc. You need an independent witness to start/stop the stopwatch for you and this master stopwatch must not be carried by anyone actually attempting the record.
One day I shall return!
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

Just out of interest, why is the stopwatch needed if we are providing a log book which can be cross referenced against LU records?
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

I know, it's ridiculous, isn't it? I think that it's pretty much ceremonial to be honest. Stupid rules.
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

OK... totally hypothetical question...

If we were unable to find one/two independent witnesses - how easy would it be to fool GWR into thinking we hadn't carried the stopwatch all the way? Obviously, we couldn't mess with it as the logbook would give it all away! :wink:
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Hakan and Lars found independent witnesses to sign pieces of paper every HOUR. You might want to think about doing that ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Best of luck with your attempt, here's hoping you may have a new target time to beat by 28th June :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

tubeguru wrote:Hakan and Lars found independent witnesses to sign pieces of paper every HOUR. You might want to think about doing that ...
That's true. One thing that we found helped us in this was that we wore T-shirts that supported our record attempt claim up front. This clearly made people more willing to, not only sign, but actually give out the required contact information!

Good luck!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
snudge27
All Zones

Post by snudge27 »

tubeguru wrote:Hakan and Lars found independent witnesses to sign pieces of paper every HOUR. You might want to think about doing that ...
Sorry bout that, think you misunderstood me... I was already planning on the witness statements... it was more the two independent witnesses with the stopwatch I was thinking about!! :wink:
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

We got away with a single Stop Watch witness. It depends on how you interpret the general rules vs specific rules contradictions. Our Stop Watch witness was reasonably indpendent and has a fairly high business position etc.

So my advice is to go for one GOOD witness (that also supplies a statement in his own words about the attempt - preferrably on printed stationary).
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)