Tickets...

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
snudge27
All Zones

Tickets...

Post by snudge27 »

Probably a much-discussed topic, but what is the best way of buying tickets for a challenge? Peak travelcard all the way or is there a cheaper option?
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Peak travel card is the only option I think, Zones 1-6 and zones A-D costs £14.50.
One day I shall return!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

That's right. After 9:30am, some people also buy a spare off-peak Travelcard, just in case the first one goes missing!
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Well, either missing or totally chewed up through over-use.
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
Richard
Zone 1

Post by Richard »

Out of interest, has anyone ever encountered a ticket inspector in zones A-D at the time you'd be using the tube there?
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

yes!

When I was on a challenge last april the BTP and inspectors were purging at either Rickmansworth or Chorleywood. Some bloke got on moaning that he had to buy a ticket to Moor Park, of course he didn't get off there.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Richard wrote:Out of interest, has anyone ever encountered a ticket inspector in zones A-D at the time you'd be using the tube there?
That's a good point and you could possibly save a couple of quid (although I could not condone such actions!) You don't need to put your ticket through any barriers at Amersham, so the first point you would need your ticket would be to exit at North Harrow (unless you have a cunning HÃ¥kanesque route that avoids the Harrow run!). :roll:
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Soup Dragon wrote:(unless you have a cunning HÃ¥kanesque route that avoids the Harrow run!).
Did I ever say that? Not in that many words anyway... What I mean, is that if you don't think you'll make it - don't try it!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

I was wondering about this earlier, because I thought it might be worth trying to find an 'Amersham to London zones 1-6 travelcard' although I couldnt find one anywhere.
barrykas
Zone 4

Post by barrykas »

jonny wrote:I was wondering about this earlier, because I thought it might be worth trying to find an 'Amersham to London zones 1-6 travelcard' although I couldnt find one anywhere.
That's because it's a 1-6+D Travelcard, priced by LU ;) However, a National Rail Ticket Office CAN issue such a beast and it'll show AMERSHAM (UND) - ZONE R1256 ZONES on the ticket, but it'll have exactly the same price and validity as if you bought it from a Tube Ticket Office.

HTH,

Barry
--
Barry Salter, barry (at) southie (dot) me (dot) uk
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Thanks barrykas, that makes sense.