GWR III - Thursday 5th April

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

And so it wasn't to be...... :(

We had to abort around 9pm due to unfortunate circumstances, it was very marginal at the time we were probably just a fraction inside the GWR and were quite possibly heading for the same last train as Hakan...

Weatherwise couldn't have been better, no wind and clear skies if a little chilly for the first couple of hours of the day...... :)

The usual miixed bag of good and bad fortune, the worst being a Jubilee line taking 15 minutes to get from Queensbury to Kingsbury due signal failure showing both red and green at the same time :shock:

A most random day all in all, we had to throw in a few quick decisions about route changes on the day as we had gone out with 5 or 6 possible options....

The interest shown was really pleasing, during the day several people approached us and were intrigued as to what we were doing... :D

We spoke all the way from Morden to London Bridge with a very nice chap, there were 4 lads who had been to Wembley to complete their sticker book collection, a very nice lady of the way to the theatre in the evening, another lady who had been to a keep fit class near High Barnet and was catching the bus home, the guy at Dagenham who thought we were train spotters :shock:
Best of all 2 very nice ladies in their late 40's - early 50's who gave us a big back of bolied sweets for the rest of the day :D

And of course these are all very handy for witness statements... :D

Last and by no means least a very big thankyou to Nozzacook for coming up from Cornwall and supporting us superbly throughout the day :D

Oh well on to attempt no: IV I guess, so keep watching Hakan :wink:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Bad luck Kevin & Team, it sounded as though it was going to be very close, and from what you say, it sounded as though it was looking like a very close finish too!
15 minutes from Queensbury to Kingsbury is really unfortunate, but I'm sure that there were good bits which helped to reduce that deficit.
I hope that the unforeseen circumstances was nothing serious, and I look forward to hearing about your 4th attempt soon :D
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

Steeevooo wrote:Bad luck Kevin & Team, it sounded as though it was going to be very close, and from what you say, it sounded as though it was looking like a very close finish too!
15 minutes from Queensbury to Kingsbury is really unfortunate, but I'm sure that there were good bits which helped to reduce that deficit.
I hope that the unforeseen circumstances was nothing serious, and I look forward to hearing about your 4th attempt soon :D
Thanks for that Steve...... :wink:

That was annoying as our support was 2 trains ahead and and we were the first one to be affected by the failure..... :(

Nothing too serious thankfully and we will re-group I am sure....
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Would had been exciting with a same train finish! :o I almost get a sense of déjà vue there...

At what exact second did you depart Amersham? (We departed 05:28:08 at our record run...) Are you planning to delay the first train, just a little bit, next time? :twisted:

Anyway, too bad you had to abort. Is attempt IV on for next Friday or has it been postponed?
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

hwolge wrote:At what exact second did you depart Amersham? (We departed 05:28:08 at our record run...) Are you planning to delay the first train, just a little bit, next time? :twisted:

Anyway, too bad you had to abort. Is attempt IV on for next Friday or has it been postponed?
Our train departed Amersham at 05:28:38 so technically we were 30 seconds up on you from the word go :D
Throughout the day we stayed ahead or close to GWR pace. A reasonably quick bus connection from Edgware to Canons Park had put us well up on the pace, but then the 15 mins delay at Queensbury cut back on our margin for error. All in all it was a fun day with the usual rollercoaster of physical and mental emotions that you go through on such a challenge.
A few tweeks we made from our route last lime meant a little less running and we tried a couple of new runs that we hadn't done before.
We also avoided the Morden Road to Morden run which Kevin & Jamie both hate :wink:

Big thanks to Nozza for coming up from Cornwall and supporting us on the day. :wink:

Hopefully we will be prepared for another crack on FRIDAY 13TH :twisted:
One day I shall return!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

***BIG BUMP***

I thought it was about time I got the pictures onto my site of this challenge! I will try and get the photos of Tube 4,5,6 & 7 done in the next few weeks. :D

Here is the link for the Tube III report and photos

http://tubedragon.piczo.com/?g=45894649&cr=5
One day I shall return!
Chris A
Zone 1

Post by Chris A »

Soup Dragon wrote:***BIG BUMP***

I thought it was about time I got the pictures onto my site of this challenge! I will try and get the photos of Tube 4,5,6 & 7 done in the next few weeks. :D

Here is the link for the Tube III report and photos

http://tubedragon.piczo.com/?g=45894649&cr=5
Nice pics, and being in the recovering phase myself I can quite understand your comment about not underestimating the magnitude of the challenge. When will my thighs feel normal again? :)
A2
Zone 4

Post by A2 »

Chris A wrote:When will my thighs feel normal again? :)
Roughly June. :P Hope you've got a sympatheic and accomodating girlfriend/wife :)
- Andrew