Hello to everyone!

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
flynnja
Zone 1

Hello to everyone!

Post by flynnja »

Hi, i've been a casual observer of the site for a while now, but with the new record, i've decided to up my interest!

On the 16th of March i'm doing a run for comic relief in preperation for a record attempt at the begining of the easter holidays.

The route and research has been nearly 2 years in the planning and now i've found a partner in crime to join me i'm all set!!!

I'm happy to take any advice that anyone can give me! And if on the 16th of march anyone fancies popping along for the ride they are more than welcome, plus there will be champagne for the finish.... providing the pub remember to stay open for me on my return!!!!

Jay
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Nice one! I hope that you really enjoy yourselves, that you get enough sleep beforehand and that you aren't screwed over by serious delays. If you want any advice, then I willingly offer my services as mathematician extraordinaire, and suchlike.
flynnja
Zone 1

Post by flynnja »

cheers, very much appreciated! the first one's mainly for fun, and a chance to see if the route works, from what i've read of the attempts that have been done so far mine's completly different from everyone elses so hopefully it will work!!

But I may very well take you up on the offer of the mathmatical side nearer to the record run!!
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

That sounds intriguing. Are you starting at Edgware and finishing at South Ruislip then?
flynnja
Zone 1

Post by flynnja »

i've looked at a few permatations! But i'm starting in Wimbledon.... I know it wipes out the whole wimbledon to Morden connection, but the route looks fast!

Ish!

I'm not expecting to break the record on my first run or even the second, but i'm 25 and been interested and followed the underground since a very young age, and decided to get involved a few years ago! I've just finally found someone mad enough to come with me!!!

But i'm not hoping for great things for a few attempts as I don't have the whole back up crew and walkie talkies! The only thing I have is years of days off from work sitting on the underground for days writing about my expiriencies! Which i'm gonna turn into a play at some point if I get a chance, but joining this forum is the start of something so thank you for making me feel welcome and replying!!!!!
flynnja
Zone 1

Post by flynnja »

Just thought, I know routes are closely guarded and all that but when I get it typed up properly rather than napkin based short hand, i'll forward it on to you and you can tell me what you think??

If that's all right? Let me know

Jay
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

Yeah, that's great. Feel free. If you were only doing it just over a week later then I'd be back from university for the Easter and would be able to assist you in your attempt.
flynnja
Zone 1

Post by flynnja »

Thats very kind, We haven't got an official date for the gwr run yet just thinking that the easter break will have less commuters on, more space to run through the platforms!!!
If it can be done it will be done! But only if I have time!!!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

flynnja wrote:Thats very kind, We haven't got an official date for the gwr run yet just thinking that the easter break will have less commuters on, more space to run through the platforms!!!
If you research your route fully then you shouldnt have to run through that many platforms. Having the correct carriage and door positions avoids having to run past too many pesky commuters :D
One day I shall return!
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

Aren't the school holidays supposed to be a bad time for tube challenges?

Ive never quite worked out why, anyway.
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

I think that the reason why people say that the school holidays are bad for tube challenges is that in addition to the commuters on the tube, you also have a lot more school children who are taking day trips to Central London/having a short break with their famililies in London/f*cking up the outer sections of the network during the day with their chav like tendencies (;)).
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Exactly - holidays put more people on the tube, and that's a "bad thing".
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

According to the BBC:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/6378051.stm

it seems there is an 8% drop in traffic during late July and early August, although it isn't clear if it includes the tube. Can't imagine the increase in chavs coming up to London makes up for the drop in Londoners going off on their hols.
flynnja
Zone 1

Post by flynnja »

Hi again guys!

Well i've read everything you guys have said and some of it has caused me to re-think parts of the route...

The test run is on Friday, as part of comic relief, with the GWR run planned three weeks after!

I'll let you know how Friday goes!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Jay
If it can be done it will be done! But only if I have time!!!
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

flynnja wrote:Hi again guys!

Well i've read everything you guys have said and some of it has caused me to re-think parts of the route...

The test run is on Friday, as part of comic relief, with the GWR run planned three weeks after!

I'll let you know how Friday goes!

Thanks again for all the advice!

Jay
Three weeks after RND07 will put you on Friday 6th April, which is Good Friday. The service is very limited that day, for example the first service from Amersham is not until 07:06 (normal Fridays would be 05:28). Good luck this Friday with the test run. :wink:
One day I shall return!