Your expertise please

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
hannah b
Zone 1

Your expertise please

Post by hannah b »

Okay guys,

As advised by Kev I have a question for y'all...
Where is the best places to survey commuters?

This Friday we are undertaking "I'm up for a chat on the tube day"
With the loss of our funding we are taking a more lo-fi approach and will be hanging around town asking people a variety of questions, which will lead to an interesting set of facts and figures.

In theory, the most responsive people will be those who are up for a chat on the tube, rather than the rush-about commuters. Giving us some nicely biased results.

This is a project investigating the nature of tube silence as well as the nature of such surveys, and press response to these figures.

I need your expertise on this matter...
H xx
hannah b
Zone 1

Post by hannah b »

Oh and in addition if you have a few pence to spare, after you have donated to the CIN fund....

http://pic5.piczo.com/tubedragon/?g=22598883

please chuck a few pence in this for clip board, badge and tabard funds...

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... et=UTF%2d8
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I dont know if this will help but the areas i think would be OK to ask people would be:

1) if on a train, on long runs like from Baker St - Finchley Road (Met) or Acton Town to Hammersmith (Piccadilly) etc
2) if at a station, then try stations near to office blocks like Moorgate, Bank, Temple and a few of the train stations (London Bridge, Charing Cross etc)

Hope that helps :)
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Surely by using the main stations, she would just be getting commuters which is what she said she doesn't want...

Sorry, i'm not much help :P
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

I mean use a few mainline stations as well as other stations.....
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Ah, i'm with you! Sorry! :)
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

No probs. :) Sorry if I didnt make it clear.
hannah b
Zone 1

Post by hannah b »

We do want commuters...
any one who regularly uses the tube.

We can be in train stations where people are waiting for trains, but we need to find the ones who got their via tube.

In addition, we are going to have to be able to stop people on the street. If they are on their way to work they won't want to stop... near office blocks sounds like a good idea. Cigarette breaks, etc.

But like I said, we are trying to get biased results. thise with time to stop are probably up for a chat on the tube. but we also want to make people who arent up for a chat question WHY they aren'y.
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Ok. Sounds like a good plan to me.

I use the tube quite often (although not for commuting, more for leisure). I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have.

(By the way, I'm going out in 10 minutes so I wont be able to answer any until I get back tonight)
hannah b
Zone 1

Post by hannah b »

i will indeed post up the questionnaire when its do9ne, but one of the key things about the questionnaire will be that it will induce a conversation at the end (genious!)
Garion
All Zones

Post by Garion »

Excellent idea! Lets hope you get good results!
londongirl
Zone 3

Post by londongirl »

I think the best area's to get biased results would be either in busy areas in the theory that there are a lot of people, someone will be up for it plus a variety of people, or the more quiet stations as theoretically people might not be dashing to work.

I think somewhere like Camden Town tube station might be good. A variety of people go through it of all ages and there will be a lot of young people. Teenagers tend to either be idiots who will cause trouble or the type who will happily do random things like surverys. Hopefully you'll find the former. It's also a station that a lot of people tend to meet others at [from experience, as I once waited 2 hours for a VERY late friend and noticed an abundance of others waiting around]
hannah b
Zone 1

Post by hannah b »

thanks for your help guys... any more advice before friday would be welcomed.
Wish me luck !
H x
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I think the best way is to try and engage people whilst they are on the train, rather than at stations, as people always seem in a hurry and are less likely to stop. On the train they are more likely to stop and chat. (and they've got nowhere to go/run/hide)

I reckon you should try to cover as many terminus stations as possible on trains heading both into and out of London. You might get interesting stats on differences between folk heading in from the Eastend vs those from the Westend.

I suggest the best place to start is Amersham at 05:25 :)

see you there!
One day I shall return!
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

i think the best place would be on a not so busy train