Our Children in Need / GWR attempt 17th Nov.

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Our Children in Need / GWR attempt 17th Nov.

Post by Going Underground »

Team Needing Help (Starkey7, Soup Dragon, Dr Who and Going Underground) are attempting to complete the entire network next Friday, as you may have read elsewhere on the forum :shock:

Our main priority is to raise as much money for CiN and we are already well on the way to £1000 :D

We have been working on our route and carrying out research over the last few weeks and will be trying to regain the GWR for the U.K. :wink:

If anyone that is not taking part during the day can spare some time to come out and support us at anytime that would be appreciated. :D

Our stopwatch start / stop team is in place and we do have support for the evening from about 8pm.. :D

We also have a food drop arranged to bring us some much needed lunch early afternoon.... :D

Finally if anyone would like to make a donation then please click on the following link.....Any amount pledged is much appreciated.. :D

http://pic5.piczo.com/tubedragon/?g=22598883
Last edited by Going Underground on 09 Nov 2006, 14:19, edited 1 time in total.
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

We will be attempting to cover all 274 stations on the London Underground in one day

You cannot regain the GWR for the UK by doing 274 stations.... :roll:
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Hear, hear! 275 is the number!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Yes of course, apologies the correct link is now in place in the original topic post.... :oops:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I think that Matt who is organising the event advertised it as a 274 event, but since we are attempting a GWR as well ours will be a 275.
One day I shall return!
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Yes... Shoreditch... FYI, this is how it went during our record run:

From the moment we left the train at Whitechapel until we arrived at the Shoredith replacement bus stop (after using the bus) it was 17(!) minutes. Then it took another 13(!) minutes before we were on a train again! So my estimate is that the "cost" is 15-20 minutes compared to using trains!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

hwolge wrote:Yes... Shoreditch... FYI, this is how it went during our record run:

From the moment we left the train at Whitechapel until we arrived at the Shoredith replacement bus stop (after using the bus) it was 17(!) minutes. Then it took another 13(!) minutes before we were on a train again! So my estimate is that the "cost" is 15-20 minutes compared to using trains!
I can well believe it......

During our research days we just missed a bus by "seconds" and it says every 10 mins... So we went down and had a look at New X - New X Gate. went back to Whitechapel and again missed a bus by "seconds"...

We eventually caught the bus at 1740hrs and journey to Shoreditch High St took 9 mins....we then had to "sprint" 200 yards to catch bus going back to Whitechapel which took over 25 mins admittedly in very heavy rush hour traffic.....

So without even looking at trains times in and out of Whitechapel the additional time lost on the bus alone was nearly 35 mins..... :?
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

As a contrast these were the times for our March attempt (well before Shoreditch closed):

Whitechapel dep 9:12:05
Shoreditch arr 9:13:50
Shoreditch dep 9:17:04
Whitechapel arr 9:18:55

i.e. only 6:50 return trip...
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

hwolge wrote:As a contrast these were the times for our March attempt (well before Shoreditch closed):

Whitechapel dep 9:12:05
Shoreditch arr 9:13:50
Shoreditch dep 9:17:04
Whitechapel arr 9:18:55

i.e. only 6:50 return trip...
It's not fair :cry:
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Well the *current* record certainly used the replacement bus - the earlier records did not...
geofftech
All Zones

Post by geofftech »

Sounds perfectable reasonable to me! I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Neil and I would have got around 18 hours 15 minutes on a perfect day (ie. when Mill Hill East didn't **** up), and it sounds to me like Hakan would have got around that time if Shoreditch hadn't of involved using a bus ... 18 hours to 18 hours 15 minutes is the ultimate time to get when Shoreditch closes and its 274 ...
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

Actually, I think I could do 18 hours flat myself on a lucky day. Someone who actually runs(!) could probably reach 18 hours with only a limited amount of luck. This is WITH Shoreditch replacement bus...

Without the Shoreditch replacement bus, I'm pretty confident that 17h45m would be possible...
Last edited by hwolge on 10 Nov 2006, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

geofftech wrote:Sounds perfectable reasonable to me! I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Neil and I would have got around 18 hours 15 minutes on a perfect day (ie. when Mill Hill East didn't **** up), and it sounds to me like Hakan would have got around that time if Shoreditch hadn't of involved using a bus ... 18 hours to 18 hours 15 minutes is the ultimate time to get when Shoreditch closes and its 274 ...
So although Shoreditch is "closed" when it will be deemed to be closed for GWR purposes?
I can only guess that perhaps this will be when LU stop running a replacement bus service, albeit to Shoreditch High Street anyway :?

Does anyone know what the ruling was when Aldwych closed and was there a replacement bus service running from Holborn for a period of time initially?
Steeevooo
All Zones

Post by Steeevooo »

Likewise with Geoff, on a good day when Epping, Woodford and Hainault didn't screw us over, Sam and I would also have gone around in a bit under 18 hours 15 minutes. However, I do agree with Hakan in that I believe 18 hours or just under is possible with the Rail Replacement Bus, and when they decide to get rid of that blasted bus, probably a good bit quicker still.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

Going Underground wrote:
geofftech wrote:Sounds perfectable reasonable to me! I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Neil and I would have got around 18 hours 15 minutes on a perfect day (ie. when Mill Hill East didn't **** up), and it sounds to me like Hakan would have got around that time if Shoreditch hadn't of involved using a bus ... 18 hours to 18 hours 15 minutes is the ultimate time to get when Shoreditch closes and its 274 ...
So although Shoreditch is "closed" when it will be deemed to be closed for GWR purposes?
I can only guess that perhaps this will be when LU stop running a replacement bus service, albeit to Shoreditch High Street anyway :?

Does anyone know what the ruling was when Aldwych closed and was there a replacement bus service running from Holborn for a period of time initially?
Replacement bus from Holborn to Aldwych?!

I do hope they told the lazy buggers to just walk down Kingsway ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA