Our Children in Need / GWR attempt 17th Nov.

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
gasman
Zone 4

Post by gasman »

Well, given that
a) I see no reason why LU would decide to stop the Shoreditch bus before the rest of the ELL closes, and
b) I see no reason why GWR will change their mind until that happens
- then any discussion of 274 attempts (or indeed 275-including-HT5 attempts) seems a bit academic...
"This train is for King George the Fifth. So you can't go on it."
editorsfoot
Zone 5

Post by editorsfoot »

tubeguru wrote:
Going Underground wrote:
geofftech wrote:Sounds perfectable reasonable to me! I've said it before, and I'll say it again - Neil and I would have got around 18 hours 15 minutes on a perfect day (ie. when Mill Hill East didn't **** up), and it sounds to me like Hakan would have got around that time if Shoreditch hadn't of involved using a bus ... 18 hours to 18 hours 15 minutes is the ultimate time to get when Shoreditch closes and its 274 ...

Does anyone know what the ruling was when Aldwych closed and was there a replacement bus service running from Holborn for a period of time initially?
Replacement bus from Holborn to Aldwych?!

I do hope they told the lazy buggers to just walk down Kingsway ...
Somewhere I have a copy of the closure notice for Aldwych, a replacement bus was not provided as plenty of buses ran down Kingsway, so one was not required. Apply to Shoreditch, and argue amongst yourselves as required....... :P
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

The thing was that several stations closed that same day as Aldwaych so the configuration was definitely changing anyway. After all, Guinness' argument for keeping Shoreditch in there is that they want records that are valid over a long time - and I think they have a point!
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

hwolge wrote:The thing was that several stations closed that same day as Aldwaych so the configuration was definitely changing anyway. After all, Guinness' argument for keeping Shoreditch in there is that they want records that are valid over a long time - and I think they have a point!
You would say that :lol:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
jonny
Zone 6

Post by jonny »

The way I understand it the thing with Shoreditch is that the bus service is operated by 'London Underground'. Not TfL, but LUL -- making it a London Underground station (bus stop).
That's the only sensible reason GWR could possibly argue that Shoreditch bus stop should be visited.
sweek
Zone 2

Post by sweek »

How busy are those buses then, anyway?
I can't imagine them being very popular.
hwolge
Zone 6

Post by hwolge »

I've used them twice. First time there was 1 other passenger. Second time (on our record run) there was a handful.
:) Three times Zone 1 Challenge winner :)
:) Official record holder in the 2008 Guinness Book of Records, pg 199 :)
tpfkar
Zone 4

Post by tpfkar »

I've used them to make 3 journeys, and have had a pretty lonely ride every time.

As for sponsorship for the CiN event, put me down for 10p for every station you visit before the timer hits 18:25:03. That should get you going over those runs.....
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

tpfkar wrote:As for sponsorship for the CiN event, put me down for 10p for every station you visit before the timer hits 18:25:03. That should get you going over those runs.....
Thanks Ric, that will be £27.50, you can pay us now if you like :lol:
One day I shall return!
hannah b
Zone 1

Post by hannah b »

Oh I found the link to sponsor in this thread. And I have!

And on the topic of sponsorship... :wink:
we have lost our sponsorship for Chat on the Tube Day... also on the 17th. Our cause is not one of saving the children, but one of enlightening the public to their surroundings.

I will post up recordings of the day after the event. We have a very special top secret plan, but are about £300 short to afford the kit we need. If you can spare a quid to help us on out way, you can do so here:

https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?c ... et=UTF%2d8
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Hi Hannah,
Many thanks for the sponsorship, we are edging closer to £500.
Hopefully next week we can get a bit more.
Cheers Antony
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

sweek wrote:How busy are those buses then, anyway?
I can't imagine them being very popular.
We just missed 2 x buses by seconds on our research day and these both had ZERO passengers on.....

The bus we caught to Shoreditch High Street had 2 other passengers on it and the 3 of us researching...
But most bizzare, when we had to run 200 yards to catch the bus back to Whitechapel it was jam-packed, there must have been at least 8 of us in total :shock:

This begs the question do more people use the bus to go to Whitechapel than to Shoreditch High Street?

Also this bus took something like 20 mins due to very poor traffic light timings/settings which hardly allowed any vehicles through..... :(
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

I finally got around to putting some clips from our challenge together with BBC Southern Counties radio on You Tube. You can see the clip below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfZjV7XjnRI
One day I shall return!