18h25m03s - is now the official GWR

Let us know about your latest FULL NETWORK CHALLENGE efforts
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Post by Going Underground »

hwolge wrote:Starkey7 - I agree. The exact definition of "theoretical time" seems a bit unclear, but I'd say the "theoretical time" of our record route was 17h10m (as far as I can recall).

This includes doing *most* of our walks/runs according to TFL "fast walking" times along with their bus times.

It certainly seems your route is quite close to ours in theoretical performance! Is this your route or a combined Brown-Starkey route?

BTW I've seen practically no accounts of the Brown (+Starkey7?) 18h43m56s run. Is there a writeup somewhere?
It is indeed the Brown-Starkey route :wink:

You are correct there were no accounts and this was attempted towards the end of 2006...
We wanted to keep it fairly low key, although a couple of other people on the forum were aware including our "watch stopper" who wasn't needed in the end.... :(
The route is now wrapped in cotton wool and will be attempted again on 1 or 2 possible dates in April....depending how the first one goes :D
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Tube personality of the year 2009
Twice Winter Olympic Biathlon Gold Medalist with The Beer Baron
2008 All Lines Olympic Gold
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

hwolge wrote:BTW I've seen practically no accounts of the Brown (+Starkey7?) 18h43m56s run. Is there a writeup somewhere?
I'm still in the process of editing the photos to remove the time/date, and once this is completed I will post an account on my website.
One day I shall return!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Soup Dragon wrote:
hwolge wrote:BTW I've seen practically no accounts of the Brown (+Starkey7?) 18h43m56s run. Is there a writeup somewhere?
I'm still in the process of editing the photos to remove the time/date, and once this is completed I will post an account on my website.
The "Brown-Starkey" route has a good theoretical time but this does rely on making the Harrow Run to hit the Hainhault (sic) loop with good timing..

I had been dreading the Soup Dragon write up as we went out with a team of 5 and 1 of us didn't make the run in time due to a rather heavy session the night before :oops:
I did ease up a little with the station in sight as I didn't get any message on my "walkie talkie". However as approaching the station I heard the desperate calls of my teamates but it was too late...
I then realised that although the "walkie-talkie" was switched on I had it on zero volume :oops:

So to still be 30 mins ahead at 1900hrs was pretty good going, so we do have confidence in our route if not so some of our team members :lol:
Twice former full network GWR holder and former Zone 1 Olympic and World Record holder with The Raven and Soupie
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

So the train was never cancelled at all..... :roll:
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Sam wrote:So the train was never cancelled at all..... :roll:
No No No, read the posts correctly Sam :wink:
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

I'm just trying to work out why you all were so adamant that the train had been cancelled and you ALL made the Harrow run.....
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Sam wrote:I'm just trying to work out why you all were so adamant that the train had been cancelled and you ALL made the Harrow run.....
That was CiN day where we all made the Harrow run. We are talking about a GWR attempt made here during Dec... read back a few posts it should all make sense hopefully :D
Sam
The Twilight Zone

Post by Sam »

Ah right, I didn't realise, sorry about that!
Going Underground
The Twilight Zone

Sam wrote:Ah right, I didn't realise, sorry about that!
I forgive you :wink:

Soup Dragon will be doing a write up at some time, it was a decent attempt considering our whole plan went out of the window and our route was changed off the cuff before 8am :P
Starkey7
All Zones

Post by Starkey7 »

But it was a clever change, and had we not had that Vomit Encounter, we'd've only been ten minutes behind our original plan at noon.
Soup Dragon
The Twilight Zone

Post by Soup Dragon »

Starkey7 wrote:But it was a clever change, and had we not had that Vomit Encounter, we'd've only been ten minutes behind our original plan at noon.
The whole vomit episode made me really sic [sic]. :)
The thing that annoyed me most was time the cleaner took to come and clear up the mess. He just strolled down the platform like he was on a Sunday afternoon walk, with no apparent concern for the delayed passengers (and tube challengers) :evil:

Despite GU not making the Harrow run (which I was not going to mention!) Ping Pon made the run and stayed on the train, so the whole team got seperated early on. Luckily he got off the train at Preston Road and we caught up with him ten minutes later. We re-planned our route and in the end I don't think missing the Harrow run made a huge difference for us.
One day I shall return!
ping pon
Zone 4

Post by ping pon »

in the ticket hall on the harrow run i fell over and really hurt my knee so for the rest of the day every run we made i was almost hobeling but it was all fun :D :D
One has lost the game !!!!!
Nutteronabus
Zone 5

Post by Nutteronabus »

The swedes got am ention in todays' Londno Paper.

I'll scan it in tomororw, when I'm slightly morer sober.
tubeguru
Site Administrator

Post by tubeguru »

They also get a mention on <a href="http://www.london-underground.blogspot.com" target="_blank">Annie Mole's blog</a> I believe ...
One thing only do I know, and that is that I know nothing - Socrates.

Champion of bugger all, 2004 to 2022
Member of sweet FA
Annie Mole
Zone 2

The Swedes

Post by Annie Mole »

They did indeed (direct link here) and I'd already taken a picture of the piece

http://www.flickr.com/photos/anniemole/396850475/